Viasat Plans are pure lies. Don't upgrade to Platinum 100, you get the same crap as the lowest plan.

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Everything about their offering is a lie. I have the Platinum 100 Package. Speeds up to 50mbps. Its a joke. I have never seen over 12. When you go over the 100 gig, you are basically shut off. They don't prioritize and leave you with at least 5-6 mpbs so you can stream one device, NO they take you to .05. May as well disconnect. I have been a customer for 6 month and I cannot say even one good thing about Viasat.
Photo of Steve Brady

Steve Brady

• 3 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Steve Brady

Steve Brady

• 3 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I intend to spend the rest of the days remaining in my plan month sharing on every blog and consumer review site I can find. Maybe they will pay me to leave.
Photo of Courtney Paige

Courtney Paige

• 1 Post
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have to agree! Same exact issue with mine!
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Unfortunately satellite internet is a crap shoot. Unless it works great for your next door neighbor there is no guarantee it will work for you. Does it work ok if you don't go over and get throttled? If so I would suggest trying to be more conservative with your data. When I had Viasat I was on a plan that only had 12GB of priority data and I rarely went over, but my speeds were usually in the 1-3 mbs range no matter what.
(Edited)
Photo of Shawn Barker Davenport

Shawn Barker Davenport

• 11 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
They suck!!!! You dont get ANY answers from them. My internet renews on the 4th, and week and a half I was ALREADY out of internet. I called and thr guy said I used 32 gig in one day!!!! LIKE HOW?? so he said they would investigate and see why. I never got a response, no call, no email, no NOTHING telling me why, or what is sucking up my internet. So I called them back and I wanted to know the answer and of course the minimal English speaking "techs" they have had no clue. I said I needed to know why my internet was gone so quick after all the money I have shelled out and her response was........" to eliminate your problem you need to upgrade to their unlimited plan and sign another 2 year agreement." I said id never sign another agreement with them! Not like the care cause this company is crooked as hell!!!
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I went trough this about a year ago when they started offering "unlimited" here.  Ive been on the same 10G plan for 5 years, IF I run over its usually the last 3 days or so of my cycle, for example I ran out today, my cycle ends today, so everything resets in the morning.  No big deal.

When "unlimited" came out I went over data within 2 weeks!  3 months in a row!  SEVERAL calls to customer service had the same result "You dont have enough data, you need to upgrade to unlimited"  I said my data has been just fine for 4 YEARS!  Why is it suddenly an issue now?  Shut everything down, EVEN UNPLUGGED MY MODEM and still watched my data drop!  When I said that, I was told in the forum, "someone has hacked my account and is using my internet remotely from another location"    SAY WHAT??

It was MY fault, MY devices, MY programs and apps, MY family streaming and gaming (its just me and my wife, we dont stream and we dont game), MY neighbors hacking my wifi, MY account being used elsewhere.

I finally told customer service, Ive gotten no help, no tech support, no advice, NOTHING and if it happened again, and I needed to go unlimited and pay 3 times more, IT WILL BE WITH HUGHESNET!!

Mysteriously, it stopped, just as mysteriously as it started.  Its been almost a year and not happened since.  Same devices, same programs and apps, same neighbors (whom I have NEVER suspected), but so much as say Im "suspicious" of Viasat and people jump all over me.
Photo of Shawn Barker Davenport

Shawn Barker Davenport

• 11 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Oh I know exactly what you mean Ron. Its EVERY time you call them it's our fault, its our phone, that we needed a new one and I got them there because our phone is new. We have their phone service too :( and I hate it just as much. Their box for the phone stopped working so I call and that's when they throw the "its your home phone" sham, I was like "eh your wrong it's new. I explained how THEIR box stopped working, all lights were out etc, about 45 mins later (with this tech that is) I finally talk her into sending me another box. Low and behold IT WAS THEIR BOX! They need to stop blaming their customers. I still have not ever got a explanation on where 32 gig of data went. I have upgraded my plan just high enough to not sign another agreement and I have had to stay off of my Cricut cutting machine because of this causing me to lose money because I could not tag my product for a big event one evening. I make bathbombs and sugarscrubs and design my own tags, the machine cuts it out. The speed gets so slow to the point you day why even try and I had to leave 4 different flavors of a new product of mine, my lip scrubs and could not take them because I could not get enough Internet to process a circle on my design page. 45 seconds it how long thay little circle spins trying to get a image to come up, For a simple circle to pop up on my screen to create a label, it took 45 seconds! To type out a word, it was 45 secs per word, it took over 5 mins to get a word on the screen and I'm thinking about how much money I've given these people for no internet 2 weeks after it renews. I have sat and cried, I have because i get so mad that i cant even use what I pay over 100.00 for. Yeah these so called techs on here say "give us a call and let's resolve the issues" well we've tried that 15 times to many and that's why people resort here to voice it. Its absolutely ridiculous how customers are being taken advantage of. No I wont call yall just so you can try to talk me into another agreement. Never again, the calls I'm making are to different internet company's around my area so I can can this company. I'll be going back with At@T for home phone service. Horrible company.
Photo of Anna Bales

Anna Bales

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have been a customer for 13 years. I paid $70 a month for 13 years to get a few hours of data when my grandkids were over and if it was me who used the data it would be for 2 and a half movies on Netflix. That’s like 4 hours. $70 a month for 4 hours of data for 13 years. I called the other day and the agent said, (I quote), “Wow. You’ve been a customer for thirteen years. Impressive. And we don’t even offer the plan you’re on. And you e been paying a pretty penny”. I upgraded and have actually been on my computer every day for almost a month now. The kids are able to play their games all day and it costs me $100 a month. I actually thought they were going to credit me for my giving them all that money for nothing. Anyway ...NOT. well my Netflix just quit so I hope its not over. The agent told me I shouldn’t slow down because she sees people without use 2 tb and not slow down.
(Edited)
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
HAHAHA  We have Exede voice also!  Customer service is a JOKE!  Reading off their list ... "Unplug the modem for 10 seconds, then plug it back in"  "We have Exede voice, unplugging the modem will drop this call" "OK, I will reset it from this end"  CLICK!   Call back again and start over with someone new and go through it all over again!  Now we simply call during regular hours and demand to be put through to advanced tech support, the "front line" call takers are morons.

Years back we called constantly about slow speeds, regular speeds of 2 - 5 Mbps, little more than our restricted speeds of 1 - 4 Mbps, same reply every time, "We can find nothing wrong, we are sending a tech out"  Of course ALWAYS OUR FAULT!  Someone was here every month, sometimes twice a month!  They re positioned and adjusted the dish I cant count how many times.  Replaced our dish, our wiring, OUR MODEM, one tech even used my chain saw and cut down half a dozen scrub trees he "thought" might be blocking the signal ... NOTHING!  Finally the last tech sat down with me and EXPLAINED the "congestion" issue, the reason for it, the delays with VS2s launch, Viasats refusal to admit any of it, and said once it FINALLY gets up, EVERYTHING WILL BE BETTER.   

BOY WAS HE WRONG!!

Ironically, customer supports answer to everything ... send a tech out, just happened to be when they started charging $95 a whack for tech calls!  Call about repeated unexplained data loss and get told we dont have enough data, we need to upgrade to "the new unlimited plan" ???  Customer service??  Seems more like a sales staff whose job is not to "help" customers, its to con them into spending more money and locking them into new contracts!  They just keep taking our money and NOTHING GETS "FIXED" !!!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1188 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes
Get whatever VOIP product you want and save money. Exede Voice is overpriced.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Better yet, if your cell provider supports WiFi calling/texting just turn on the feature on your cellphone and use it as your home phone. It's free.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1188 Posts
  • 739 Reply Likes
Indeed it is. 

Exede Voice and Easy Care.  Two things that cost Viasat little money to provide, but generate a lot of revenue all the same. 
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2399 Posts
  • 474 Reply Likes
Hello Shawn,  I'm sorry you feel that way about Viasat.  Please send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com and allow us to review your account.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
I sat here writing out this long rant, then said  WHO CARES? and started over.  I went into restriction this morning, no notification AGAIN!  And in an hour or so when the kiddies start getting home from school I wont be able to do anything on here.  Its ok, my billing cycle ends today so tomorrow everything resets.

It just sucks, paying good money for "high speed internet" which is anything but "high speed" then having to watch EVERYTHING you do because if you go over data, you pretty much have no internet.

I know the service could be better, Ive been with this company since it was Wildblue and I know the service WAS better.  Viasat is a deceitful company with no respect or regard for their subscribers.

Its sad that my hatred of Hughesnet is the only thing keeping me here.  As soon as something else becomes available, ANYTHING else becomes available here I AM GONE!
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Platinum 100 with only a 50 speed??? Platinum 100 should be 100 speed. Is your modem white or black?
Photo of Vickie Wallis

Vickie Wallis

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Wow...  I wish I'd have read this thread before agreeing this afternoon to upgrade to the "new satellite".    It doesn't sound any better than before :(

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Nathan, do you honestly think you aren't sitting in a sweet spot of which you are nothing but lucky? Pretty sure you could bring your whole set-up to Voyager's house and your speeds would go down the toilet. On the flip side Voyager could bring his set-up to your house and his speeds would go through the roof.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
He's questioning the accuracy of the original poster's description of the plan - Platinum is "up to 100 Mbps", 150 GB data usage threshold and "typically 1080p streaming" - if being prioritized after 100 GB as stated rather than after 150 GB, the original poster should probably contact customer service especially if he's never gotten over 12 Mbps - as described something doesn't quite add up in the original post and may be a correctable issue but his reply to himself makes it clear he's not looking for assistance. Viasat won't pay him to leave, but he can always pay them to leave and terminate his agreement early ;)

The problem here is as other's jumped into the fray with their own "me toos", Diana lost track of the original poster offering assistance to someone other than the original poster.  

I believe Nathan has Platinum and is indeed fortunate to live in an area where it's offered - they are small areas, few and far between it seems.
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 436 Posts
  • 150 Reply Likes
Gold 50, but it runs about 70-80 mb/s most of the time.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
What part of your rare great Viasat experience should matter to those who have a bad one? You did nothing to earn where you are at. You are lucky, go buy some lotto tickets.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Will, you are clueless. Voyager is using up to 400GB of data per month as a cordcutter. His speeds are "in the toilet" because he's used up all of his priority data.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1043 Posts
  • 633 Reply Likes
Cord cutting and satellite internet is like oil and water. They dont mix!
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I have about 12 neighbors in my area.  We have contacted Google and asked them how much to bring broadband to our houses.  They gave us a price of $25,000 for broadband and $35,000 for fiber optic.  We had a meeting last night and we all agreed:   Fiber Optic.  $3000 a household,then $100 a month all you can eat.  Said it will take them about 4 weeks. Bye, Bye Viasat!!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1043 Posts
  • 633 Reply Likes
That really isn't a bad investment.  A $200 Viasat Gold plan will cost north of $2400/year.  So you are in for $5000 for a 24 month commitment for Viasat.  In less than three years your investment more than pays for itself and you have added value to your home.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@skipbo2015, good luck getting all your neighbors to pay up.
Photo of Wilma Hardin West

Wilma Hardin West

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm tired of Via Stat!  I have had Hughes Net before and they have much better Customer Service.  If my mind doesn't change I am going back to them.  I don't like the amount of my bill changing even if it was just $3.99.  If you are going to take ANY extra out of my account I should know about it ahead of time  Not the day of.  These people should send invoices like any other company does.  They force you to pay your bill through automatic billing.  My is gone within 2 weeks of resetting and we don't stream and we don't watch videos but every now and then.  Its just my husband and myself.  So I am just about done with them and will not be recommending them to anyone!!!  
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 244 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
I had Highesnet many years ago.  What drove me against them was being billed for a "monthly" data allowance, that was allocated daily!  And it never regenerated if you were online at all doing anything.  It didnt reset with your billing cycle, it didnt reset at midnight it SLOWLY regenerated over 24 hours UNLESS you were online, then they claimed you were "using it faster than it was regenerating"

That was 5 "Gens" ago and I am told things have changed.  It is truly a "monthly" allowance now like Viasat.  I am seriously considering switching back.  I have their number and info right here beside me for when I finally say ENOUGH!

The biggest factor in my decision right now is I am on a fixed income, and still on a very old plan with a free zone midnight to 5 AM.  No matter which "company" I go with my bill will be double (or more), I will lose my free zone and EVERYTHING I do online will count against my data, and even if I remain with Viasat and dont like the new plan, I CAN NEVER GET THIS PLAN BACK!

I am not happy with the "service" here, or with Viasat, but unfortunately my budget dictates this is the best option at this time so I am STUCK!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 280 Posts
  • 194 Reply Likes
I remember that old Hughesnet daily meter. Runs in my mind 250MB or something like that. But unlimited data on holidays!

Is satellite your only option? I thought you said towers were going up close to your locations.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 244 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
They are constructing towers in the region, in fact we just found a new one last week ... on the same site as another new one (like 6 mos old)????  NEVER seen 2 towers on the same site!

We are on a ridge, but down in a hollar on that ridge.  Only our roof is above road level which makes it extremely difficult receiving ANY sort of signal here, cell phone, TV, or even radio!

7 years ago when we moved in there was NO cell service here, but it is improving with each passing year.  We get signal downstairs now, but still, upstairs in south facing window is the best reception, and it fluctuates greatly with weather, atmospheric conditions, even leaves on the trees.

We are still waiting on a new tower in the right position and location to give us a viable, reliable signal.  A small village about 6 1/2 miles from us put cell transmitters on their water tower for village residents, other than that we must travel 15 miles in any direction to a store or restaurant, 10 - 12 miles of that ride there is NO SERVICE once we leave our ridge.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1756 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
From Dec 2004 through Feb 2016 I had the Pro plan with HughesNet, which was a daily refill plan.  First it was 350MB, then it became 425MB in 2007.  I rarely had a problem with the slow data refills (maybe once), as most of the time I ran out of data I had one of the free tokens to reset it.  When I didn't have a token to use I would ensure that I didn't run out of data.  The biggest things I ever had to do, data wise, were things like upgrading from W8 to W8.1, and I could do it with free data during the five hours of the "download zone", and a little bit after that, and if finishing it was enough to cause me to run out I would use a token.  I got a free token each month, and I usually had at least three or four on hand.    

When I had it there was no unlimited data during the holidays.  The only unlimited data was during the "download zone", which was from 2AM to 7AM EST.   
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 244 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Gabe, I just found the email last night!  Welcome to Wildblue/Exede internet dated Jan 8, 2013, we still had a year left on our 2 years with Hughesnet so we ran both for that year side by side.

Wildblue/Exede SMOKED Hughesnet!  It was MUCH faster, didnt go out as much or as long in foul weather, it was AWESOME!  We survived the Exede changeover without issue, I very rarely saw 12 Mbps outside my free zone, usually 2 - 5, but I ALWAYS had usable internet!  it was not until the Viasat changeover things really went downhill!

I say it all the time, and cant say it enough!  I WAS HAPPY ONCE!  THE SERVICE WAS GOOD ONCE!  The technology is the same, the equipment is the same, the  only thing different is changes THEY have made!  Too many subscribers ... THEIR FAULT!  Changes to their throttling/prioritizing ... THEIR FAULT!  

Im sorry but in my "opinion" ...  THEY BROKE IT, THEY CAN FIX IT!  Why dont they?  Because they dont care!  It seems their corporate motto should be "Shut up and pay us!"
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1756 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
When I had my daily refill plan I got about 0.9 to 1Mbps in the beginning, but it crept up to about 1.5 - 1.6Mbps by the time I upgraded to Gen4 in Feb 2016, at which time I got around 20Mbps.  Then one day it shot up to around 30Mbps, which is around what my folks still get with their Gen4.  When I upgraded to Gen5 I immediately got about 47Mbps, which is where it tops out now.  

Most of the time my speed is in the 40s, but during the evenings it sometimes gets down into the 30s, or even 20s, and on rare occasions into the teens.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/Gabe1972
(Edited)
Photo of Jon Jackson

Jon Jackson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The ONLY good thing I can say about them is that their early termination fee is only $15 a month.  Well worth the $210 that I'm gonna drop to go back to 3Mbps dsl and leave this crap behind.  Viasat's service has ended my ability to work from home, to stream video (the latest Last Week Tonight took 5 hours to download to my tv), much less use wifi connected phones.  I had a month of decent service, and that was the month I signed up.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 280 Posts
  • 194 Reply Likes
May I ask what led you to select Viasat in the first place?  Was it a dealer?  An advertisement?  A friend or neighbor's recommendation?
Photo of Jon Jackson

Jon Jackson

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It was that my only other option was an old school AT&T 3 Mbps dsl connection.   I used to be able to work from home, so paying for their supposed 50 Mpbs service seemed a viable option.   It was painfully obvious from the start that the service couldn't support that.  Best speeds I ever recorded were 39 down, and 1.5 up until today when my download speeds dropped to .38 Mbps and my upload went to 2.2, which is twice what I usually had.  
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1967 Reply Likes
Have you exceeded your data limit for the cycle?
Photo of Steve Brady

Steve Brady

• 3 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Stupid question
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 105 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I would grab 3 Mbs DSL in a heart beat. While cell wireless is better than Viasat was for me and never drops I still have data limits.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1756 Posts
  • 1094 Reply Likes
Stupid question
And just how is Steve Frederick's question to Jon "stupid"?  It's a very legitimate question.  Perhaps the problem is that you simply don't understand its purpose, so your immediate reaction is to claim it stupid.