ViaSat not as advertised.

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
I, like some of the other VIASAT  customers here, am a former Hughes.net customer. I had Hughes.net for many years, and went from regular service to Gen4 then Gen5. They never did deliver on the promised speeds, especially Gen5. So I switched to ViaSat not quite two months ago. I have the unlimited data at a promised speed of up to 50Gbs. The first month was great. Great speed all around, and the streaming was extremely fast; the fastest I have ever had.

My second month will end on Mar 10th, and yesterday I went past the 1GB usage where they state they may slow you dawn during peak periods. Let me tell you folks, it's not a may slow you down, it's a definite grinding halt. I can barely get a web page to load much less stream anything. After a couple of attempts to stream, I received a message stating that there was insufficient band with to stream. So my unlimited data is worthless, because I cannot use it.

I am not a happy camper. I hate being lied to. Yes, I am not an amateur and have tried all the usual methods of restarting my computer, my router and the ViaSat modem. Nothing worked.

I am also not an amateur at cancelling credit cards at the Bank so companies that have the number can no longer charge to it. ViaSat, if you read this beware, I did not live to be 80 years old because I am stupid. Try speeding up my connection to a reasonable amount, so I don't have to take drastic measures. I will be happy to return your equipment to the nearest dealer, and you will not be able to charge my credit card for anything. 
Photo of Lawrence Crovo

Lawrence Crovo

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Pissed

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Well the good news is you shouldn't need to worry about damaging your credit rating using that strategy at age 80 - chances are you no longer require a good credit rating.

Since this is your first post here, this really isn't a direct support venue. It's more of customer-to-customer self help and we really can't help you as fellow customers. You'd do better to start by contacting customer care using one of the options over at:

https://www.exede.com/contact-us/   

But yes, that's pretty much what happens when you exceed your data usage threshold during peak hours. For some overloaded beams, apparently peak hours are 24/7 = and yes, weekend during the day can be peak usage periods.   

(Edited)
Photo of Gordon Taylor

Gordon Taylor

• 5 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I have officially pulled the plug on Viasat.  They did the 150 MB Boost 25+WiFi users wrong, and I'm gone.  Good luck to the rest of you.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Not far behind you Gordan, and I agree. They did a group of users wrong, and I am actively working to become an ex-customer myself.

Viasat has only themselves to blame.
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I agree with you Gordon. Nothing but trouble since I have had the so called service.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
I have looked into my cell carrier(us cellular) and can get 44Gig of download by hot spot with my current billing at abouf $80. So I too may be leaving and saving the frustration of Viacrap poor service and high prices. I dont think Verizon has coverage at my house but may try them to see if it's an option. 1.44 Mbps now at 7:36pm
(Edited)
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
@Tim, US Cellular doesn't have this in every area, they do in mine, but have you checked? I know it also has different plans and pricing in some areas. https://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2018...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Tim. If you get an external antenna that will help. You do have to get a signal though for it to work.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 479 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
I have checked and in my area I get 22 Gig with first line and 22 on wife's line. I do haveca booster on my house left from AT&T poor signal. Just did speed test at 9:10 pm on Viacrap its 1.28Mbps and hot spot is 2.48Mbps.
Photo of Gordon Taylor

Gordon Taylor

• 5 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I would recommend to anyone with a decent AT&T or T-Mobile signal that you look at OliveIP (https://www.oliveip.com/)  They're based in Texas and are a local small business.  I'm not in Texas, but they've been working with me for a few weeks.  So far I'm very pleased with the service..  
Photo of Lawrence Crovo

Lawrence Crovo

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My options are pretty limited. Even our cell service around here is bad. I have to have a cell phone booster on my house to get a signal. The land line phone company is still using copper lines that were installed by GTE, whom I doubt most of you remember. I can get 93 channels and their subs on my antenna, which is most of the channels from Tampa and Orlando, with one from Melbourne and 2 from Cocoa Beach. Problem is we mostly stream from Amazon and Netfilx.
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 88 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
What really burns me is seeing all the commercials on TV boasting of the speed you will get by subscribing to this crap organization! The fine print at the bottom of the screen goes by so quick that you can't read it even when you know what truths they are trying to expose. That's right Viasat SELL more customers to already overcrowded beams, such a fine example of American Corporate Greed