Viasat modem - no power light, but other lights come on

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
When plugged in, the bottom two lights (download and network) come on for about 5 seconds, then shut off. The top two blue lights (power and upload) never come on. After the 5 seconds, all blue lights shut off, but there are 3 green lights that remain on that I can see if I look thru the holes on the case. These 3 green lights are internal and on the circuit board.
I tried someone else's modem, and it works fine.

Viasat now wants to charge me almost $100 just to have someone look at it. Any ideas before I have to pay them to fix their own equipment that I also pay to rent from them?

I've unplugged and replugged many times. I've pressed the RESET button several times with a paperclip. Tried holding the reset button for a while, tried holding it down while plugging in, etc., no difference.

Thanks
Greg
Photo of Greg Senne

Greg Senne

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1069 Posts
  • 515 Reply Likes
Greg,

Please email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com with your account info.  I think I've found you, but I need to be sure before I give you any suggestions.  
Photo of Greg Senne

Greg Senne

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@Matt B, just following up. I sent you an e-mail last week.

Thanks
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1060 Posts
  • 512 Reply Likes
Thanks Greg.  It looks like Brad is working your case.  He's out of the office today, so you can expect a response tomorrow!
Photo of Greg Senne

Greg Senne

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@Matt B and Brad, I would really appreciate a reply. It's been almost 2 weeks without internet and no help from Exede
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1764 Posts
  • 1023 Reply Likes
My guess is you will have to bite the bullet and pay for a service call.
Photo of Greg Senne

Greg Senne

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah, I'm thinking so. More likely I will cancel service first. I'm on an old "exede12-15" plan and I haven't been happy with it for a while now.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1764 Posts
  • 1023 Reply Likes
Well of course not. They want you to "upgrade" and pay more $$$$ for an "unlimited" plan.
Photo of Greg Senne

Greg Senne

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well that's the kicker, I would be tempted to switch to an unlimited plan. But the only plans they offer me is Liberty12, Liberty 25, Liberty 50, and then Unlimited Gold 12 for $145. They won't offer me the plans they advertise on their website, such as the Unlimited Silver 25. Heck, even the "Unlimited Gold 30" they offer on their website is cheaper and better than the "Unlimited Gold 12" plan they are offering me. Ugh. Seems  Viasat doesn't care too much about their existing customers.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 459 Posts
  • 176 Reply Likes
When did they stop allowing customers to exchange modems if they were determined bad by the troubleshooting process? I did that years ago I overnighted the modem and they overnighted a replacement concurrently.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 378 Posts
  • 334 Reply Likes
A while ago as I recall -  in fact the Surfbeam 2 always required an installer to provision it (the account). When first introduced and upgrading to the WiFi modem a self install was supported. Don't know about the WiFi gateway though - regardless installer provisioning requirments makes those modems being sold on ebay worthless to the consumer.
(Edited)
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1069 Posts
  • 515 Reply Likes
Greg,

I found your reply to Brad's email on the 18th.  Please see my response!