Viasat limited data & throttling solved? Legal?

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: spent thread

Fellow nieghbor, friend and Exede Internet customer has discovered a recent modem update flaw that when certain modem settings in a certain combination allows for unlimited data and eliminates the "throttling" that Viasat so lovingly likes to use.
Photo of Roadrunn3rr50

Roadrunn3rr50

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
  • optomistic

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Roadrunn3rr50

Roadrunn3rr50

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Hello fellow Viasat users! I have been a Viasat customers for the past 18 months and closing in on my two year mark which is when i can get out from under my current contract with Viasat (i may throw a party, who knows!)
As i have stated in the description above, my friend has discovered a flaw in the new and recent update for his SurferBeam 2 Modem that when used properly, will allow him to have unlimited data & unthrottled maximum Viasat network speed and remain invisible to the entire system. He showed me a speed test of between 10 and 12 mb D/L and 4 and 6 U/L
I found it hard to believe until he showed me what settings he used to do this and i saw for myself that he wasn't kidding!
I am reluctant to try it myself because of possible contract violations and legal terminology because . I am currently reading the entire contrat including all the usage and privacy policies and terms and conditions provided by Viasat, plus I am in contact with a current systems engineer within Viasat that has been very helpful in advising me of what this could possibly be. For privacy reasons, i am omitting their identities. The engineer is baffled as to why and how these modem setting can allow a customer to obtain service like this, and according to what ive read so far is that this is in no way stealing or fabricating of information with Viasat, its their own settings in the modem that are changable and tweakable. If there is anyone else that knows about this, please chime in here, I am interested in how many folks know this. I will be keeping an eye on the "net neutrlity" issue currently being discussed in Congress and may just implement these settings should i find out how much Viasat spends on lobbying and defeating this bill.
In all honesty, is it charma for us to exploit there setting for our gain? They have been exploiting those that have a limited choice with internet service for years...anyway have a peaceful day and thank you for reading my thoughts, because in the end, thats all this is, a place to express thoughts and ideas...until next time, i'll see you in the ether

Roadrunn3rr50!
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Not sure about the unlimited data part but the speeds of 10-12 DL and 4-6 UL is nothing new that is normal speeds for exede. Many customers see up wards of 20mb DL at times. The modems are throttled but that is set to like 30mb DL. If you look online at the disaster relieve service they have I think they can get speeds of 50/30 so to see those speeds is nothing special most users see that daily.
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Maybe normal for you but I respectfully feel that 4~6 up is more of the exception than the norm. Anyone else please share with us if you get great speeds like this. Thanks for your time.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
My speeds are typically in the 18 to 21 Mbps down and 3 to 4 Mbps up, during high traffic times in the evening sometimes it will go down to 8 Mbps down, but that is only on occasion. 

New York's Southern tier, Beam 314. Winnipeg Gateway, Dallas AcceleNet Server
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Mine are better Steve than they were but I learned to put the speed gauge up and things seem to flow out better. As far as 10 ~ 12 mbps dn. Thats nothing new but over 4 up is. Of course there is always that one exception.
Photo of Shonda Adams

Shonda Adams

• 24 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Please share this magic tweak!! I can't change any of the settings on my modem. 
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Shonda, I'm sorry for the confusion here, but I just wanted to clarify there are no modifications that can be done to the modem to change the speeds or to change the allowed amount of data.

Hope this clears things up.
Photo of Roadrunn3rr50

Roadrunn3rr50

• 28 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Ok, you got me...but seriuosly Beau, how much money has Viasat inc. donated to the cause if busting the "net nuetralty" fight in Congress...Time Warner alone spent over 350 million so far (Source: Computer World Mag.)
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
There is no magic tweet Sharon the numbers are about right , a little high on the up side a bit low on the dn side and I'll assure you there is no unlimited data. When things average out there about right here. Hope they have picked up for you.
Photo of Shonda Adams

Shonda Adams

• 24 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Well, I was hoping the OP would respond since they said it offered unlimited.
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
I don't see anywhere where they said there is unlimited data. Please let me know when you find this.
Photo of Shonda Adams

Shonda Adams

• 24 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
"Fellow nieghbor, friend and Exede Internet customer has discovered a recent modem update flaw that when certain modem settings in a certain combination allows for unlimited data and eliminates the "throttling" that Viasat so lovingly likes to use."
Photo of Robert

Robert

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This sounds like a lot of crap.  Do you really think the op has been able to discuss this tweak with a systems engineer?  Why would he bring this to the attention of someone that could potentially avoid this tweak from happening or cause the firmware to be rewritten?
If it sounds too good to be true then it most likely isn't. 
Photo of Shonda Adams

Shonda Adams

• 24 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
That's why I said I would like them to share because I can't even change anything on mine. Love for them to respond.
Photo of Robert

Robert

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
As a former Hughesnet customer I was able to get into the modem specifics but only for advanced informational purposes, no changes could be made, just more brain food to use to gripe about satellite Internet speeds.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
There are NO user  "settings"  to tweak.  The modem is Read Only for customers on the status page at 192.168.100.1 

@Roadrunn3rr50   I know  this guy that owns this bridge... somewhere near New York, close to Brooklyn.  He's going to sell it cheap, interested?
Photo of Kaotic Technologies

Kaotic Technologies

• 281 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
There is no magic tweak, nothing can be altered or manîpulated client side! Either hardware or software. So, i call shinanigans. Also, altering or tampuring with the modem hardware or software opens you up for serious litigation from viasat. And MOST of all....if this did happen....why share it? No one in there right mibd woukd take this news to tne internet..
Photo of pyrotuc

pyrotuc

• 19 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
i dunno, the modem interface page seems to rely rather heavily on trusting the browser to execute javascript to determine what you can or cant see/do, which is, in general, a rather poor model of security. if something like this does actually exist, im sure its using the javascript console to trick the modem into thinking you are an installer or something. identical situations have happened with dsl and cable modems, for identical reasons and identical motivations.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
LOL do you mean this? http://realhackerspoint.blogspot.com/2013/02/hacking-isp-for-unlimited-internet.html

Looks illegal and, doesn't sound like it would keep the modem from knowing what you used anyway.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.