Viasat is a RIP OFF!!

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
DON'T BUY VIASAT!! COMPLETE RIP OFF!!!! I changed my plan to the gold plan so we could have more data and it burns up data faster than the lower plans so if you think you get more data.. nope! Now I'm going to end up spending over $100 more than when I started with Viasat just for a few more days of data! Such a scam.. complete crap! GO WITH ANOTHER MORE HONEST COMPANY! 
Photo of Amanda

Amanda

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Taken Advantage Of

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 712 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
They only way it could burn up data faster doing the same type things as the old plan is if you are streaming at a higher resolution than before. A lot of sites that allow streaming will automatically set the resolution based on your connection speed and stability. If the new plan made your speeds faster sites will increase the resolution.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 645 Posts
  • 608 Reply Likes
Which is of course what Gold does by default - streams at 720p versus 480p for silver and 360p for Bronze.

Higher speeds (if you get them) also cause web sites to consume more data than they normally would. Hey look! I've got a pretty fast connection - let me burn even more data throwing useless stuff at this visitor. Maybe some will stick.

With unlimited plans it's just as important to know what uses data, how it's used and how to manage unruly web sites to avoid deprioritization.  
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 712 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
Speaking of unruly websites I notice when I go over priority data and get slowed to 600 Kbps, ESPN loads slowly and sometimes incomplete while CBS Sports works the same as when I am running much faster. My common sense tells me ESPN is a data hog compared to most websites. That result is with video and ad blockers running.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 332 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
So glad I dont have Data Problems anymore: https://prnt.sc/qpm6s3
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2457 Posts
  • 1509 Reply Likes
Amanda,

If you stream, and if the source allows it, you should manually set the resolution to a lower level, as higher resolution with streaming will use more data, and your larger plan more than likely allows a higher resolution of streaming for those sources that automatically adjust to available speed.  Old Labs alluded to this above.  

If you do stream, this is likely a significant part of why you're using more data.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2179 Posts
  • 1279 Reply Likes
But why upgrade to Gold in the first place? You are right streaming is better, but then you max out quicker.

People again falling for marketing and sales hype to pay this company more money. Quite the deal there...for the company not the consumer.

Less can actually be more (See Liberty plans)
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 338 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
I set my streaming quality at 480p for the most part. DVD quality is good enough for me as long as I'm not sitting right in front of the TV.
Photo of Krissy Kilcrease

Krissy Kilcrease

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
That is the very same thing that I did.. upgraded to gold, more than doubled my monthly payment. Worked great for 1 week. Then, I'm over again and still have a week left in the month. Now, the only way I am connected now is hooking up ethernet. My Wifi networks won't even show up when scanning or if I enter them manually. This is bullshit. The CONTRACT should be void, because they sure havent held up their end!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2142 Posts
  • 1244 Reply Likes
No matter what your plan, once you exhaust your priority data, you will experience slower speeds.

When you got Gold, you paid Viasat more money (to their coffers).  They gave you a little more priority data, but because streaming is speeded up, you use more data, and go over the priority data in about the same amount of time.

My advice is to pay Viasat the least amount of money you can, get PlayOn Cloud to record your streaming content, download that content, and then watch at 780p on your local network.  The money you save from going from the Gold to Bronze plan will more than make up for what you need to spend on PlayOn Cloud a month.

Good luck!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2445 Posts
  • 1492 Reply Likes
The WiFi should still be showing up in your devices regardless of your data levels or speed.  You should either call customer support at 855-463-9333 or email them at viasatlistens@viasat.com for help.  

And I second the PlayOn Cloud suggestion.  
(Edited)