Viasat/HughesNet price gouging in NC

• Problem
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
Sat service here in NC reminds me of Geraldine on Laugh-in: “We’re Viasat (or HughesNet); we don’t have to care.” Both price gouge big time because they can — now. I look forward to greater competition, different technologies to get Internet service that fits trends: cloud services, streaming services...
Photo of Jay

Jay

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 374 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
I thought Geraldine was a Flip Wilson character and he had his own variety show.
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 107 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
your right
Photo of Stan N Dorothy

Stan N Dorothy

• 26 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I believe you right but it don't suprise me about price gouging....I been saying for years viasat wants to corner the market just like phone companies did back when pretty paid service was introduced...no matter what carrier you was with it was impossible to get a break and good service because they was the only game in town .then Straight Talk came along and forced them to become competitive because they lost so many customers. So yeah viasat is being all bad ass about service, termination clauses etc.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 374 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Common business practice these days when there isn't much competition. They keep jacking up prices till they hit a tipping point. Ebay is a good example, they have pretty much tripled the percentage they took off the top 20 years ago.
(Edited)
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 161 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
The greatest input to setting prices is what the market will bear. Companies are under pressure from stockholders to maximize profits. Lack of competition means higher prices. Customers need to be just happy enough not to leave or have no alternatives to leave. Unfortunate but reality.
Photo of Paulcho

Paulcho

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
That is my problem, I used to have Frontier but their service is so bad I had to find some thing else, Their trunk lines are so bad that some people hear other people talking on their line, And every time it rained loud hum on phone and no internet.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 347 Posts
  • 139 Reply Likes
That loud hum has been around ever since residential telephone was common place. Plain and simple, poor maintenance, missing insulation on wires that get wet or moisture invading one of those roadside boxes. The issue most likely is off your property and an easy fix, but the phone companies won't fix anything until they get enough complaints or they will wait till it totally drops out. Decent service after the sale can be a rarity in markets that border on monopolies, especially those that send the same monthly bill whether service is up all month or not.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1585 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
Old copper wire landline phones going the way of the telegraph.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 319 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
So no more Ernestine then???
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 347 Posts
  • 139 Reply Likes
My house doesn't even have the 4 wire solid copper phone wire system, it has that dozen plus or so stranded wire bundle crap. The odd thing is the house was built in 1981. Probably was wired for phone with left overs. I am remodeling and have torn out the inside walls in a laundry room and a closet so far. It needs to have all the copper pipes replaced with peex as they all leak. I am debating how many phone jacks to put in. Maybe one in the kitchen and one in the office.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 347 Posts
  • 139 Reply Likes
Robin lives on & all my posts exposing Robin as a liar are erased, please explain. Viasat is becoming more of a joke by the day.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2235 Posts
  • 1365 Reply Likes
It needs to have all the copper pipes replaced with peex as they all leak.
Pex is great stuff!  I replaced some lines at my folks' house with relative ease.  I did it with the standard crimp fittings, but a few years before that I had to replace a leaking pipe under my kitchen sink and those Shark Bite fittings made it a piece of cake.  I wouldn't use them on a major refit, as they're more likely to leak over time, plug they're more expensive, but for a small, quick fix, they're fantastic.  

Whoever invented Pex gets a pizza on me.  :)  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 943 Reply Likes
It is why Viasat also "redesigns" packages. Of course they are not the only one. Verizon for instance does it too. Change a little something ("unlimited" for instance) then charge more $$$$.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 161 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
New and improved. Now with more flavor. Now w less sugar. Carryover data before the 'unlimited' All an attempt to create demand. Marketing USA

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.