Viasat Flex

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Answered
I was googling around for better internet to replace my current isp "Hughesnet". I came across Viasat Flex which is a hybrid of Satellite and dsl. The satellite for the speeds, the dsl for the lower latency. I was wondering where it's available, if it's available already.

If at least a year, I'll just wait out on Star Link to become available or my local fixed wireless provider to upgrade their nearby tower.... just right outside of their coverage and hopefully when they upgrade it. Will be in coverage. Rather not be in a contract for when ever one of the two is available.
Photo of Nate Spencer

Nate Spencer

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 351 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
Viasat requires a two year contract with no guarantees on how well the service will work. Canceling early costs $15 a month for remaining time on the contract. Just put in your zip code on Viasat's website to see what is available to you. Plans and pricing vary a lot depending on location. Not so sure how great Viasat flex would be as a lot of people complain about DSL these days. It seems many DSL systems aren't maintained very well.
(Edited)
Photo of Nate Spencer

Nate Spencer

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The best I have available according to the thing is the "unlimited" 25 mbps and it's 100 gbs of priority data. If could just get a low latency through it, I could deal with it
Photo of Nate Spencer

Nate Spencer

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And I heard the number is a say to determine how conguestion is in a certain area.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 123 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
I've never heard of Viasat Flex.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1589 Posts
  • 931 Reply Likes
It has been mentioned. Last I knew it was in beta testing.

Can you get DSL now? I mean even slow DSL with low latency will allow you to play games and keep the system you got. Or get wireless to supplement once it is available.

Depending on location, Viasat might be better, but then again there are locations where Hughesnet is better.

I would stay put for now. A lot cam happen in 2 years, unless you want to risk and play the early termination fee.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 351 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
So are you saying people that have higher than bottom speeds available are in lower congested areas? I got rid of Viasat over a year ago and my area then as is now only offers up to 12 Mbps and I rarely  saw 25% of those speeds and they were often 1 Mbps or less even when I was under priority data. The powers at be never share inside information. I was on the notoriously bad beam 329.

Note with Viasat flex you have to pay full price for both Viasat and DSL also the disclaimer says they reserve the right to charge extra over and above regular Viasat rates for the service. Also it seems odd, Viasat getting in bed with DSL when their TV adds constantly badmouth DSL service.
Photo of Nate Spencer

Nate Spencer

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah, I don't even have dsl available.

And yeah, I'm not wanting to get another contract. Starlink or Fixed Wireless. Whichever is first. I'm jumping asap unless a cable provider magicly is available
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 84 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
If you already have access to DSL, unless it's crap, I'd think you'd want only that. Maybe see if you could get a second line if you want more capacity. Then maybe a load balancing router or something like Speedify. Many things benefiting from the increased speed would burn through the cap quickly, as you know. At the very least it would work to supplement what you have.

You're almost in range of a wisp, you don't have cell service? There are options, old and new, with most carriers, especially around the price you are looking. Most carriers also have, or had, cheaper options. Unless you have poor service, and you already tried an antenna.

I'd also suggest sticking with what you have for now.
Photo of Nate Spencer

Nate Spencer

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wisp coverage ends right before my property. I've considered asking permission from a neighbor that is in coverage, but I went around the property and didn't seem worth it because the cable from the reciever seemed like it would be too far from the house.

And I have cell signal. I have AT&T for cell and I easily get 10 to 50 mbps on lte.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 69 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
This will probably be deleted. You need to go to another forum, att or wireless section, maybe Reddit, dslreports, or howardforums, tell them what you have. You're not a viasat customer, you wouldn't benefit by becoming one, so they aren't losing a customer. $35 iPad plan, activate it, put it in an late router, people have been doing it for years. There are other options too, other mvno carriers resell it. Also, they sell an actual home fixed cell internet plan in some locations, check your address.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 69 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Also, point to point wireless network antennas can transmit miles depending on terrain.
Edit: lte router above, not late.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 351 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
How are people hitting 50 Mbps on cell wireless? I guess all towers aren't created equal. The most I have got is 20 sitting 100 yards from a tower.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1356 Posts
  • 443 Reply Likes
Distance certainly matters, but yes, they are not all the same in terms of available channels and bandwidth. I’ve been places that hit 200, but around my local area, it’s usually more like 6.

“Not spam Brad”.
(Edited)
Photo of Nate Spencer

Nate Spencer

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Depends on the area. But, in town, I've gotten 200 mbps. If the data limits on the hotspot weren't so damn low, I'd be using my phone's hotspot for home internet
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 1020 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
Flex is currently in a testing phase, in very limited areas.  To find out if it's available to your area, you'll have to call our sales team at 844-725-5606