Viasat Earnings Announced May 23rd

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Will be interesting what they say about the residential sector of their business.

I know in my area the best Viasat plan available is up to 12Mbps with 65 GB of "priority" data for north of $200. I cant imagine new subs jumping on that. But I expect their revenue per subscriber to go up. Wonder if they will release the subscriber count though?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 384 Posts
  • 247 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 795 Posts
  • 490 Reply Likes
I actually have quite a few plans available to me right now. 3 Liberty plans without the WiFi modem and 2 Liberty plans with the WiFi modem, all 12Mbps. Also, the Unlimited Silver 25 plan is available. My guess is the residential subscriber count has dropped significantly since last year with many people cancelling after the usage policy change last winter. It's also possible Viasat has been able to replace those lost subscribers with new ones. In my remote neck of the woods I've seen 2 kinds of people: those who gotta have internet access no matter what and those who couldn't give a hoot about it and don't want it at all.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 370 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
It is very frustrating to the consumer when you have plans all over the place. If I was to get satellite internet again, on price/performance alone there is no way I would get Viasat at my location.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 139 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
Problem is many of those wireless plans do not deliver as promised.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 370 Posts
  • 239 Reply Likes
Depends on plan and location. I can say the same thing about Viasat.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 414 Posts
  • 140 Reply Likes
To me it seems that Viasat is discouraging residential subscribers by asking $200 for Gold 12/65. That bandwidth is probably more valuable on a commercial or military customer, then residential.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 378 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
I agree. It certainly is a slap in the face to the consumer. In comparison there is a Hughesnet plan offering twice the speed and similar priority data for half that cost. An educated consumer would ask why pay twice for less?