ViaSat does not Live up to it's commercial, advertisements, or word of mouth.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 days ago
  • In Progress
ViaSat does not Live up to it's commercial, advertisements, or word of mouth. I signed up with the promise that the plan I needed for my son to play online gaming with his friends. This was not true. After talking with Geek Squad I found out that online gaming needs at least 100GB of high-speed data in order not to buffer constantly. As soon as I find a company that will pay for my 2 year contract with ViaSat I will be switching. Something else I don't like is you never know how much your bill is until all your money is suddenly taken from your bank account. You DUCK ViaSat. Gayla McDaniel, Arkansas.
Photo of Gayla McDaniel

Gayla McDaniel

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • angry

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
Duck?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329)

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3843 Reply Likes
Duck Goose or as they say in Sweden (and Minnesota) Duck, Duck, Gray Duck!
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
All I can think of is Long Duck Dong.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 877 Posts
  • 538 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1929 Reply Likes
Yea. If you play a lot of first person shooter online games, satellite internet's latency is too high to make that work.

Good luck in finding an alternative.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 402 Posts
  • 203 Reply Likes
Too bad you cant lie to them too, close bank account and cancel credit card
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 113 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
I'm confused about the last part. There's been no unexpected fluctuation in my bill in 19 months. The same amount is debited monthly, on the same day.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 244 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Contact the FTC.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 877 Posts
  • 538 Reply Likes
Hmm.  Well, I just watched the latest ViaSat TV ad, and there was nothing about gaming.  And though I've never seen a ViaSat print ad, I can't imagine them mentioning anything about gaming without a caveat regarding real time games.  And one can't control word of mouth, nor the veracity of such.  

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3843 Reply Likes
And one can't control word of mouth...
Unless of course you're Google or Facebook ;)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 877 Posts
  • 538 Reply Likes
Well, they try really hard.  :) 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
I wouldn't bother with the FTC. Go straight to the FBI.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 244 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
The FTC would be the federal organization that would investigate and fine viasat if necessary, for any consumer fraud. But your as helpful as ever championing viasat.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 877 Posts
  • 538 Reply Likes
I wouldn't bother with the FTC. Go straight to the FBI.
The Federal Bureau of Internet.  

Old Labs (VS1-329)

• 3801 Posts
  • 3843 Reply Likes
Sorry, all of our investigators have been assigned to a tough case...

Some guy named James dropped a Viasat modem with a cut off Ethernet cable to our  Quantico offices a few months ago that's still using data. We can't figure it out, all of our resources are on it and we don't even have Viasat... service isn't even available in our area and we don;t even have it plugged in.       
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2190 Posts
  • 1898 Reply Likes
It never gets old....
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 402 Posts
  • 203 Reply Likes
I beg to differ. It got old almost as soon as many of us found out we couldn't watch a movie or use internet in a meaningful way.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3081 Posts
  • 1085 Reply Likes
Hello

Our ping rate is about 700ms so that will make FPS games very frustrating but we've always been up front about that https://www.exede.com/what-to-expect/

I'm still in the old PS3 system and just have a little time each week to maybe play a game but I never felt that a 100mbps was required for gaming. I mean it's probably optimal but I feel DSL and cable connections under 25mbps play those games just fine. I'd take that number with a grain of salt because that same store tries selling HDMI cables for  $70 or more so I am a bit comfortable saying they bumped the internet requirement up a bit.

However with that said some games just won't perform well on satellite internet when playing online due to the ping rate. Turn-based games do fine, I can't recall what was said about Fortnight, but we have a few customers that drop in to tell how games work on the system. Single player campaigns won't have problems, it's just the live gaming with people and friends that will slip a bit. In addition games do gobble up a lot of that priority data or gets to that inflection point pretty quickly much like streaming will. 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2186 Posts
  • 1894 Reply Likes
"HDMI cables for  $70"

Boy, I remember  those days.  When the 1080p TV's came out we got one and then had to buy the cable.  It was $100 for the "special" cable.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3081 Posts
  • 1085 Reply Likes
well now that's the price for the 4K cables on the site
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1928 Reply Likes
Gold plated Monster Cables? Lol
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2186 Posts
  • 1894 Reply Likes
That was the one!  Gold plated, had to be good right?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3359 Posts
  • 1928 Reply Likes
And Monster cables were marked up three or four hundred percent.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 818 Posts
  • 409 Reply Likes
No kidding!  Back in the day, I worked at Best Buy.  Employee discount was simply not paying the mark-up on items.  Didn't do more than a few bucks on big items like TVs or computers, but I stocked up on cables!  $5 for a $30 USB extension cord?  Heck yeah!  Sadly, this was just before HDMI became mainstream....
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2185 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
Cables have always had a huge mark up.  I worked at a small mom and pop computer shop after I graduated high school.  I remember we used to buy printer cables for less than a dollar and turn around and sell them for $10.  I felt bad about it and asked my boss why we couldn't sell them for just a few dollars.  He explained that we barely marked up our more expensive items just so we could be competitive with the big box stores. Being able to have a huge mark up on something else was just part of leveling things out so we could at least break even after all of our expenses such as rent and labor.  Even with our huge markup on printer cables, we were still selling them for less money that Walmart and Best Buy.
Photo of yourguytim

yourguytim

• 125 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Yo Gayla, wassup. I’m able to play some games with this internet in the middle of the day if lucky. Only certain games work, I mean like work with this internet not good but will run. The only games I can get to work are the Battlefield franchises games and Star Wars Battlefront 2. Don’t think I can get much others to work. If your into FPS games then practice leading your shots. I’ve been at it a while and I’m able to get top scores sometimes.

Latency kinda kills it though. Viasat can’t do much about it though. What you see on the screen happened 3 seconds ago and it buffers here and there.

There is some dude on YouTube who tests them out on Exede satellite internet, just watch some of his videos. Some online gaming will work fine on priority data which goes by in two games. Or in the middle of the day or 1 in the morning.