Viasat does not download DISH TV on Demand. Any answers or suggestions?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
DISH TV on Demand will not download using Viasat. Eventually, a failed download message appears after hours of trying. Any help would be appreciated.
Photo of Teresa Butler

Teresa Butler

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
I'm not familiar with DISH settings. DirecTV does download On Demand. I assume Dish does not like the slower speed or the high latency, one or both. You'd have to ask Dish to know what the cause of the problem is.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 630 Reply Likes
Might it be the Video Data Extender thing causing issues?  With Hughes, DirecTV on demand fails when the Video Data Saver is on because DirecTV isn't able to auto adjust to a lower definition and the Hughes speed isn't high enough for HD with the Video Data Saver on (default setting).  Well, it sort of works, but it buffers like mad, making it practically unwatchable.  I wonder if Dish On Demand is the same way and is failing because the speed isn't high enough for it with the Video Data Extender throttling it.  
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
DTV gives me a message saying I won't be able to watch an on demand show live but, it will download it to my DVR for later viewing. Okay so it takes about 1.5 to 2 times as long as the program is to actually get it all recorded on my DVR but, I do get to watch it later.
Photo of Teresa Butler

Teresa Butler

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No option on the new plans for changing the Video Data Extender.  Thanks for trying to hlep
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 630 Reply Likes
DTV gives me a message saying I won't be able to watch an on demand show live but, it will download it to my DVR for later viewing.
I had absolutely no clue you could even do that.  I thought anything done via on demand was completely separate from the DVR and you couldn't save any of it. 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
Just set a show to record ALL episodes for one that's both broadcast and in On Demand and, kiss your priority data goodbye, the darned thing will record them all, even the whole collection in On Demand. 

I once gave myself a 400.00 Viasat bill for that mistake when I had a business account LOL.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3596 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
I wouldn't recommend connecting your Viasat network to DISH. You are going to burn a lot of data. And it might be advertised as unlimited, but it isn't.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2821 Posts
  • 1782 Reply Likes
I have not had any problems watching DISH Video On Demand, although some evenings my speeds drop down into the 1 to 3 Mbps range, and some buffering occurs. 

I am on the Freedom 12 Mbps plan, and have the Video Data Saver disabled. I am not pinched for data, I usually average about 50 to 75 Gbs a month, and have never exceeded 100 Gbs.

I have never tried to watch videos with the Video Data Saver turned on, but I suspect that is the cause of DISH On Demand causing the problem.
Photo of Teresa Butler

Teresa Butler

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for trying to help.  There is no option to turn Video Data Saver off or on--on the newest unlimited plans Viasat offers now.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2270 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
Take a look at these searches Teresa and see if something helps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=DISH%20TV%20on%20Demand%20will%20not%20download
Photo of Teresa Butler

Teresa Butler

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks I will them--