Viasat breaking FREEDOM PLAN policy

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
I have had the FREEDOM PLAN for nearly two years now.  It has been a good service, but for a week now I have had downloads speeds of 0.45mbps.  Yes, you read that right.  Less than 1mbps.  Let's look at the FREEDOM PLAN policy.

"Your Freedom plan offers download speeds up to 12mbps.  This is the median speed you should expect when measured across all 24 hours in a day.  This means you should expect half the time to see speeds that are faster than 12mpbs, and half the time speeds that are slow than 12Mbps."

I have NOT been receiving speeds even close to 12mbps for half the day.  A representative at Exede insisted that what was happening to me did not go against policy.  Does anyone care to tell me how I'm wrong?

My brother and father both have FREEDOM plans and are experiencing the same slow speeds.  Exede will be losing 3 customers unless something is done very soon here.  We will gladly switch to HughesNet.
Photo of Jordan Niednagel

Jordan Niednagel

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Angry

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1254 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
150GB Freedom plans?
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 231 Posts
  • 203 Reply Likes
Freedom plans always have had a 150GB limit; however, Viasat unilaterally changed the policy back in January - https://www.exede.com/documents/master/bandwidth-usage-policy.pdf

In particular note the highlighted portion below from that changed policy:

You must have missed the dust up that occurred here with that policy change. It's that highlighted portion that's more important than the lame attempt to define what the advertised speed means. Chances are your spot beam has now been saturated to the point where you're now feeling the impact. Seems to be a number of folks just now starting to feel the pain. It's easy not to go against policy when you have the right to change that policy at will.

P.S. Here's the conversation from 8 months ago where you'll find the debate as well as the "official response".

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/automatic-throttling     

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1254 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
Yea. That isnt changing this weekend.

You are right. Freedom was always 150GB. Was getting confused with the 150 GB "unlimited" plans that lured people off Freedom plans to the "unlimited" plans today. Just dont use too much data!!!!
Photo of KAREN GRIFFITH

KAREN GRIFFITH

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am a new cusromer and have the silver unlimited for the price of the bronze for three months.  My ad was for speeds up to 25 mbps and I have tested daily at different times of the day and only can get max speed of 0.7.  I have been seeing all the comments here and will most definetly cancel service.  And I feel it is worth to cut my loss paying 15.99 a month for the remainder instead of 80.00 per month.. you are not alone.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1254 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
Do you have other internet options? Why did you choose Viasat in the first place?
Photo of KAREN GRIFFITH

KAREN GRIFFITH

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What does it matter, I called they gave me the sales pitch said it is what Air Force one uses. Are you saying that if my reason for getting it dictates what I should expect. That sounds like people who have that only choice should be great full and take abuse from the company. Like having 700 or more taken out at one time, or just take the policy as a joke. Where the client thought according to it they would have up to a certain speed but only get less than 98 % of it or if I have an alternative service and I wanted to try another service I have no right to be disappointed? I have been looking at these threads and I have seen your comments, you have asked the same question of other posters, what is your deal? You don’t seem like your on the thread to help only judge and people don’t need that.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 49 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Karen, If your speeds are that slow all the time then something is wrong with your equipment.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1254 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
I am not trying to judge by any means. I am trying to understand why people choose Viasat. Marketing? Sales pitch? Customer referral? (Rarely do I find this as a reason)
Photo of KAREN GRIFFITH

KAREN GRIFFITH

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well it is brand new and that doesn’t say much for the company if in new set up they give equipment that needs correction. From the thread people do tech stuff and buy third party Modena and I should not have to be a tech wizard or pay more money for the equipment t . Thanks for the reply though that had helpful content
Photo of KAREN GRIFFITH

KAREN GRIFFITH

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Please no more replies to me the person I sided with is the one who needs the help. And I apologize to her, ex sat userer just really struck a nerve and appeared to not offer any help for her. Signing off nowI will resolve with CS.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
From the thread people do tech stuff and buy third party Modena
Do you mean third party routers?  When people buy and add a third party router it's normally to expand or improve the WiFi capability, not to improve the core service. 
Photo of KAREN GRIFFITH

KAREN GRIFFITH

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
For your understanding sometime people try to find something better but marketing and sales pitch made a faster maybe not well thought choice.
Photo of KAREN GRIFFITH

KAREN GRIFFITH

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Gabe U. If that is the case even more so a strike to get new equipment and service ie core that is not appropriate
Photo of KAREN GRIFFITH

KAREN GRIFFITH

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
VPN Pi somthething jow am I supposed to know. B
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
ViaSat's WiFi is basic.  It's not a strike against them, as the majority of people don't need anything more than basic WiFi.  For those who do, they can buy a 3rd party router.