Jim16

• 2252 Posts
  • 1954 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3476 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
I read this yesterday. Interesting they are using three different launch platforms. Also interesting that some of the rockets can insert to final orbit quicker, cutting down time to get in service.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 310 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Here we go again.

Photo of Bill Ross

Bill Ross

• 37 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Is it gonna suck as much as Viasat 2
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2252 Posts
  • 1954 Reply Likes
Satellite antenna companies divided on near-term feasibility of cheap flat panels.

https://spacenews.com/satellite-antenna-companies-divided-on-near-term-feasibility-of-cheap-flat-pan...
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3968 Reply Likes
In unrelated news from spaced out news dot com, Elongated Muskrat tweeted this AM that a clandestine attempt to launch a constellation of miniature very low earth orbiting satellites aimed at being the first to bring affordable broadband to all in rural communities suffered a setback (a RUD) as the launch vehicle approached the launchpad.

The reusable launch vehicle didn't survive failing to stick the landing after being struck by a flying cow. The cow survived the event, wandering away while encouraging all bystanders to Eat Mor Chikin...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3476 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
Nah. That is a Hughesnet installer.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2252 Posts
  • 1954 Reply Likes
Just had Fixed Wireless installed today.  Never thought I would see a transmitter near enough to
our house, but here we are!  I'll give it a while to see how things go because we have the Freedom
Plan and I want to make sure before I give that up.

Grain elevator that the transmitter is on.

"Modem"

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3476 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
Wow. Interesting stuff. Low latency and much higher data allowance I am sure.

Keep us posted!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2252 Posts
  • 1954 Reply Likes
I got the smallest plan.  up to 4 Mbps.  They say no data caps.
http://www.nbson.com/internet.html

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3476 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
Truly unlimited?lol
Photo of barg_

barg_

• 88 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Looks good, also looks like you have a few neighbors pretty close....

I'm grandfathered on an old "up to" 4 meg plan, 200GB cap, $50, through the regional cell carrier.  I avg. about 2.5 down.  5.5 miles from the tower, lots of trees, signal is very poor but ok with the booster.  They have new plans, but requires line of sight for them to install.  Have that about 400ft away from the main yard.  Or, lots of trees need cut.  Unlimited, but possible prioritization after 15GB per day. http://www.viaero.com/shop/plans/home-phone-internet/proconnect

Your pings look pretty good, my home cell is usually around 70ms, no complaints, but if I could get time I will see about their upgrade.  Have a location that might "only" require taking out about 20 trees or so spread out over about 1/2 mile or so on my property.

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2252 Posts
  • 1954 Reply Likes
The transmitter is about 4 miles away on the grain auger.  That's about the closest neighbors we have. They let the company install the transmitter about 2 months ago.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3476 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
That's pretty good. I live less than a mile from a WISP, but because of no LOS, I am SOL. Lol

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3968 Reply Likes
Here... I fixed it for you...

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2252 Posts
  • 1954 Reply Likes
That little bugger gets around!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3890 Posts
  • 3968 Reply Likes
I assume that's the grain elevator/auger off in the distance (center of 2nd photo)?
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3476 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
While I know this is how providers do or it rural areas, the infrastructure seems shaky. Grain elevators, silos, water towers, etc. Short of established towers, just seems like the risk of a catastrophic failure point is higher.
(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 310 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
I received a packet from the rural power coop.
The y will be in my area in the next 3 to 4 months. 30 mbps, unlimited, no data caps, fios, 82 dollars a month, 0 installation fee. Hopefully it happens.

This something I never thought would happen. About half the county currently has this isp. This is part of the broadband iniative. Check with your county, supposedly there are federal funds available to offset some of the cost.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2237 Posts
  • 1111 Reply Likes
Was nice knowing you Jim.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 969 Posts
  • 597 Reply Likes
Depending on the cost and the reliability of that 4.3Mbps signal, it may very well be worth it.  Something like that could save me from needing DirecTV, which would save me a bundle.  

I hope it works well for you.  :)  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 969 Posts
  • 597 Reply Likes
Ugh.  GetSat hates me.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2252 Posts
  • 1954 Reply Likes
"Short of established towers,"
Yes, I agree.  They do have outages every so often according to their blog..
https://network.nbson.com/
But we can handle periods of no internet without dying!
And 4 Mbps is more than enough to stream at very good quality. So far it performs great, no slowdown at night.  This is radio waves so not much should interfere with it weather wise.  And it will be very difficult for me to leave Viasat. I am a "fan boy" as I have been accused of because it has worked for me so well.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3476 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
I would gladly leave Viasat for 4Mbps consistent speed 7 x 24 along with low latency and more unlimited than 40 or 60 or even 150GB.   
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 969 Posts
  • 597 Reply Likes
If I could get it and it was a good 4Mbps signal, I might very well do the same with my own ISP.  After all, other than it taking longer to download large files, there's not really a whole lot that can't be done with 4Mbps that can be with ten times that speed.  :) 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3476 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
Indeed.  And with low latency, the online gaming experience can be appreciated in the fullest.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2797 Posts
  • 1764 Reply Likes
WISP works well in the flt parts of the country. I would certainly switch to one with 4 Mbps and unlimited data, I could then dump my satellite TV service and save a bunch of money, however, here in the southern tier of New York state, with all the hills there it is not practical for any company to install the service. Because of the very hilly terrain, a tower could  serve an average of 5 to maybe 10 homes, not economically smart for any ISP to get involved. We can't even get a reliable cell service in my area.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 310 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
I turned my fios rural broad band application in today. They said that it should be installed by spring.

Current county customers are very satisfied many have done away with dish and directv.

This is a natural fit for your rural power company.

My area has a lot of farms and forested area, my house is in the middle of our pine tree farm, rolling fields no big hills or mountains and lightly populated.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 969 Posts
  • 597 Reply Likes
here in the southern tier of New York state
Southern Tier?   Southern Tier here, too, though the western end of it (Cattaraugus county).
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3476 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
I thought such a progressive state as NY would offer high speed internet for all! But then again, many think New York state doesnt go west of the Hudson!
(Edited)
Photo of barg_

barg_

• 88 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I don't have any complaints about the speed of mine.  It settles in and streams HD just fine.  Most typical web pages load in a couple seconds.  Speed beyond a certain point is overrated especially with lower data thresholds (why have a Ferrari if it only comes with a 2 gallon tank that becomes a Pinto when used up).  Only issue I have is with the poor signal, sometimes acts up, upload is a bit too slow.  If I'd work to get line of sight, that would fix what I have, plus I could get the new service.  Nice having other options too, luckily I'm on the fringe of others as well.  Unfortunately lots of neighbors are a few miles too far out for anything.

They are getting more areas covered.  Larger company runs several village phone services.  They are upgrading.  People 20+ miles from a village with less than 500 people (some less than 200), a town that has no shopping, get a fiber optic line, or at least service a couple miles from that line.  In zipcodes that average less than 3 people a square mile or less, houses miles apart, with little to no cell service.  My village is 15 miles away, less than 250 miles, locally owned (nice people) so that isn't happening, although they upgraded out the other side of town years ago.  Of course, with all this, not everyone will be covered.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2797 Posts
  • 1764 Reply Likes
Gabe, I am in the center of Steuben county. Our county is physically larger than the state of Rhode Island, but with a population just under 100,000. Quite rural, with two small cities and lots of very small town.
Photo of barg_

barg_

• 88 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
New option if you have non-congested Verizon coverage.
https://www.reddit.com/r/verizon/comm...

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/veri...
(Edited)