Viasat 2 Update. Problems with Antenna

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Sounds like there are troubles with the Viasat 2 Satellite. Some beams are not working as intended. Troubleshooting ongoing by Boeing and Viasat. Still planning on coming online in February. Google "Boeing investigating antenna glitch on ViaSat-2 satellite".
Here is the link
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 642 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Did I miss it? Don't see a link!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2789 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
The article also mentions the issue is not expected to have an impact on service.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 147 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
“some spot beams to perform differently than they did during ground testing.”
Initial measurements suggest the antenna problem “will not impact the coverage area of the satellite, or materially impact the planned services and the expected financial results from the ViaSat-2 system,” ViaSat said.
Photo of Greg Ritz

Greg Ritz

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
A "material impact" is a legal definition that means it would break the contract between parties so not having a material impact just means it is working within acceptable limits as stated in the contract, but not to target. Hopefully this will not affect service to customers. It all depends if the beams in question would be in congested areas. It didn't sound like it would extend the rollout date. I have been living with horrible speeds during congested times so am really looking forward to some usable speeds.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Probably the antenna for my beam with my luck :)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Probably mine too.  Exede 5 has been closed to new installations all but about 6 months (guessing) since introduced.  People had no choice but Hughesnet, and some that signed up for Exede initially switched to them in an attempt to get better performance (because it's poor).  Out of most of my neighbors having Wildblue/Exede, I only know of a couple now, haven't spoken to them in a while, don't know if any other of the "fancy" plans are available here other than the old 10GB (and up) with free zone plans, they weren't last time I checked.

I know that I'm replying to an old thread, but it bears watching as the new service comes online I think.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
I would anticipate that Exede 5 areas would be the focus of marketing efforts and an easier sell right out of the blocks - a proven/known base of households (including HughesNet susbcribers there) that actually require the benefits of Viasat-2 - just don't expect to be paying less but maybe the same for more, IMHO!   
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I feel sorry for the Exede 5 people. I never felt it was right to call it Exede because it was nowhere close to what Exede could deliver on Viasat-1. It was basically a souped up version of Wildblue, and those poor subs have been stuck with that type of service for upwards of a decade or more.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser - "nowhere close to what Exede could deliver on Viasat-1"

Exede-5  WB-1: Beam 163

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2736 Posts
  • 1426 Reply Likes
19.6 Mbps pointed at Wildblue 1? That's incredible.

Just another example of what proper traffic handling can manage.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: 19.6 Mbps pointed at Wildblue 1?

Beam 163 was never fully populated, and being in Midwest (NE mostly), these folks go to bed by around 10PM during school days.  When aircraft service came overhead, this reduced primetime speeds, but during LNFZ and other off-hours, it zooms.

Below shows about a 13 Mbps flat-line download, after midnight, of some 1/2 Gig plus downloaded

Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 360 Posts
  • 154 Reply Likes
As stated, it all depends on the time and the beam.

Good speeds, unfortunately many beams at that time still < 3
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
For those beams affected via aircraft traffic, this too will pass...aircraft will be transferred over to VS-2 in time...only select VS-2 beams are open...hence, when all beams are open, then aircraft traffic will be transferred over, most likely.