ViaSat-2 satellite update: New satellite is on its way!

• Announcement
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Approximately 29 minutes after liftoff, the ViaSat-2 mission was underway with the satellite separating from the launch vehicle. First signals from the satellite were acquired shortly thereafter through a ground station at Hassan, India. In the coming days, ViaSat-2 will start orbit raising with its chemical propulsion system, followed by solar array deployments, and will then switch over to its electric propulsion system to complete orbit raising over the coming months. ViaSat expects it will take several months for ViaSat-2 to reach its final orbital destination, located at 69.9° west longitude.

Read more here.

Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 838 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
OH YAY!!! :3 also i hope it can go into late may cause my bday is in early may so sometime in late may would be a WONDERFUL bday present for me :D i hope its in late may so i can keep up with yall :3 also cant wait for the new plans!!! imma want more data caps like maybe 250gbs OR 350gbs or something like that ;3
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 479 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
ViaSat 2 is now on its way: http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-40123180

Further, in exchange for saving massively on propellant, which will also increase its lifetime, it's going to take more time to get to its geostationary position.  Now, all that is needed is a little patience on the part of Exede customers.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

"Now, all that is needed is a little patience on the part of Exede customers"

Hughes launched ES19 in mid-December. It was early to mid-April before the first beams were brought online.

My understanding is the Atlas rocket used for ES17 had a large last stage that was used for final orbit insertion resulting in a faster trip to the final position.

ViaSat-2 may take a longer but more fuel efficient approach that may result in a longer service life.

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2817 Posts
  • 1780 Reply Likes
ViaSat-2 is a hybrid, it will use both propellant and electric to position it in the final orbit slot. This will take longer, but having the electric propulsion system means that it will be functional for a  much longer life. The rocket placed it in the initial position last night, which is only about 300 miles above the Earth's surface. Its final orbit position will be around 22,500 miles above the surface. That will take several months to get it into position, and then the systems can be run through the necessary testing and activation.

It will be well worth the wait.
Photo of Dan White

Dan White

• 87 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Electric ?  Would that be something like an Ion engine?

• 2817 Posts
  • 1780 Reply Likes
Solar panels provide the power for the electric propulsion system.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 479 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Electric ?  Would that be something like an Ion engine?
That's exactly what it is.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 297 Reply Likes
The 'electric' part of the propulsion systems involves xenon ions being expelled to create the propulsive force. I don't know much more than that -- but I like saying "xenon ions!"
Photo of vince mattingly

vince mattingly

• 36 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Think of it as man made flatulence without the smell because there's no oxygen in space. Congrats exede, really like my new liberty Plan highly recommend.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3133 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Thats' one way to put it Vince haha
Photo of christina corrigan

christina corrigan

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I need bigger data caps as well. Satellite internet is my only option.
Photo of Levi Garrison

Levi Garrison

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
... my speeds are rarely over 4 mbps, usually at around 100kbps an the plan runs out after a matter of a week or so of barely using it. Kind of hard to do online classes when the videos buffer every second and you have to wait 3-5 minutes for a page to fully load. Tried to talk to a rep a couple months ago and she had an attitude with me, customer service is kind of a joke. The only options I have are satellite or fixed wireless... And satellite is letting me down big time.
Photo of Levi Garrison

Levi Garrison

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
... my speeds are rarely over 4 mbps, usually at around 100kbps an the plan runs out after a matter of a week or so of barely using it. Kind of hard to do online classes when the videos buffer every second and you have to wait 3-5 minutes for a page to fully load. Tried to talk to a rep a couple months ago and she had an attitude with me, customer service is kind of a joke. The only options I have are satellite or fixed wireless... And satellite is letting me down big time.
Photo of jim

jim

• 9 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
my bday may 30th be 68

• 838 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
well i guess you will have an late bday present for ya :D its launching onto the 1st :D so i cant wait!!! :D
Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 46 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Hope it makes it up soon and safely!

• 838 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
me also i hope it makes it safe up into space :3 and without no problems... also if it gets destoryed then ill be sad and all that money went to waste ;-; ALSO i hope its guarded safely also so no one goes and breaks it :3 (oh i know i shouldnt worry but it stills worries me since alotta people want to break it but i know itll be safe :3 )
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3139 Posts
  • 1110 Reply Likes
Yeah that would be sad, but those rocket scientists seem to know what they are doing and the satellite is safe. 
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 480 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Caution is likely the reason the launch date was pushed back to Jun 1, 2017 and not earlier.
Photo of Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
It was pushed back first because SpaceX, who ViaSat first contracted with, blew up one of their space station supply ships which grounded their fleet.  So ViaSat made a new contract with the more reliable Arianespace, a French company.  But then as the new launch date approached there was a mass protest movement in French New Guinea which saw the spaceport being occupied and shut down by angry protestors.  So that delayed the launch even further until order was restored and missions could continue.

Exede has had a lot of bad luck which has them behind when it comes to competing with HughesNet.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3139 Posts
  • 1110 Reply Likes
That is correct Nathan.  Had a few "events" that were out of our control. (we originally looked at last summer). We're thrilled that we have successfully launched and can't wait to see the benefits next year. In the meantime lots and lots of testing to get it ready. 

• 838 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
*o* YAY!!! ITLL LAUNCH AT JUNE 1ST 2017 YAY!!! :3 :D me cant wait to see it now :D THANKS FOR THE UPDATE EXEDE/ALEX!!! :3
Photo of Allen

Allen

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled New Exede Satellite.

I was reading somewhere that there was a New satellite to be launched in April, just wondering if it has made it to it geostationary orbit. also is these leased by Hughes and is this the New generation 5 Sat.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3143 Posts
  • 1113 Reply Likes
Nope this is our satellite. Not tied to Hughes in any form or fashion. We DID have a scheduled launch in April but due to the civil unrest in French Guiana we were delayed to the new Jun 1 launch date. 
Photo of Allan Sumpter

Allan Sumpter

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How long will it take for the satellite to become operational once it is launched? 
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2257 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
Hi Allan,  It may take up to 6 months as it reaches it's orbital slot location and becomes operational with new plans and service.  
Photo of Allan Sumpter

Allan Sumpter

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks so much for answering!
Photo of jones203

jones203

• 27 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
 Maybe Untied Airlines should exit the passenger business and instead launch rockets!   I know this isn't anyone's fault at ViaSat, but it just proves the old saying is true: necessity is the mother of all inventions.  It has forced the engineers to improvise and improve service on existing technology.  I have noticed a vast improvement (latency) in my area, but the real test will come soon when college students return home. 
Photo of Joey

Joey

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
69.9° west is quite a lot more southerly than Viasat-1's 115.1° west.
I wonder what's the elevation will be for the new bird? May be a hill in the way to it from here if it's lower than Viasat-1.
Photo of Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I hope the trees around my house don't get in the way. I'll probably just stick with keeping the dish aimed at ViaSat 1 and hope enough customers switch to the new satellite to free up bandwidth.
Photo of Joey

Joey

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Looks like the elevation should be a bit higher than Viasat-1, at least based on other satellites around 70 degrees.
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 23 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
When ViaSat-2 is put into service, are the current customers going to be able to move to the new bird for the faster service or is there going to be a waiting period for current customers to upgrade? Or, is ViaSat-1 capable of faster speeds? Basically I would like to get off of ViaSat-1 as y'all have jam packed it.
(Edited)
Photo of Levi Garrison

Levi Garrison

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yeah... I'm getting 395.7 kbps atm. And it's 3 A.M. something needs to change...
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3137 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
I think once our testing and beta test period is over you might not even have to be put on ViaSat 2. ViaSat 2 will completely double our full bandwidth and part of the first job it'll do is to sort of help take some of the workload on ViaSat 1 But I think it may be more location based to determine if you'll have to be on the new satellite or not. Once some of the workload is transferred over, ViaSat 1 will be able to support the plans we have in mind once ViaSat 2 is ready to service our customers. It's still a little too early to say but if you were to be put on the new satellite we'll probably be looking at a "migration" (basically changing your dish or to re-point it. Stay tuned we'll likely announce closer to time
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2256 Posts
  • 428 Reply Likes
Hi Scott,  ViaSat-2 has about twice the capacity of ViaSat-1, with an anticipated 300 Gbps of capacity versus 140 Gpbs on ViaSat-1.That additional capacity will be layered on top of the capacity of our other three satellites (ViaSat-1, Anik F2 and WildBlue-1) and will allow us to offer enhanced services, higher speeds and even better data plans.

However, depending upon your location, the plan you want and some other factors, it may not be necessary for you to switch to the new satellite. In fact, once ViaSat-2 service begins we expect service levels on ViaSat-1 to improve.
(Edited)
Photo of Imma

Imma

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Other people in my area seem to have lower ping times. About half of what I'm pinging at 800. My download times have improved at peak times but uploads continue to time out at all times. I just hope hope hope. The pings improve.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
About the best you are going to get on Exede is around 600ms. That is largely dependent on how congested your beam and, the server you are connecting to is at the time.

It is, slightly dependent on your hardware as well. A slower CPU will mean slightly higher ping times. Nothing noticeable unless you are a gamer, in which case, a measly 50ms can make a difference.

Not much you can do about your latency, some games work well with it, others fail miserably, most fall in the middle someplace.
Photo of Imma

Imma

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I just want to go back to what it was a couple years ago. Not a new customer. Top notch hardware. With ALL the posts concerning the speeds, and after waiting for new Sat for a few more months, I would love to have ping times around 600. I'm on beam 605 (pretty sure). But I think that I am right on the line of 604. The people on 604 seems to go much faster. If it's congestion, and I'm on the border couldn't they check? I'd also appreciate knowing which gateway I'm on if anyone can tell me.

• 2820 Posts
  • 1781 Reply Likes
Imma, I don't see any beams in the 600s for Exede. Here is a link to the beams and gateways http://www.northlc.com/_images/beam_priority_map.png

If you can access the eSVT tool, it shows you your beam and gateway in the top area.
Photo of Imma

Imma

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Exede-beams.PDF. I found that link for Viasat1. I'll try the esvt link, but it wasn't working for me before. Thanks for responding Steve
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 479 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
For the eSVT tool, you can login with your Exede account username and password at: https://myssoapps.exede.net/federation/UI/Login?goto=https%3A%2F%2Fmyesvt.exede.net%3A443%2F
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3137 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
keep in mind that the eSVT tool that our customers can access is a Beta test that we used to develop a soon to be released data meter that utilizes the information you will see on eSVT but in a much easier to navigate tool.
Photo of Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I've pretty much given up on online gaming with satellite. However a lower ping would be nice because I think high ping has something to do with Facebook returning lots of 'page cannot be displayed' errors. Not sure though.
Photo of Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I've pretty much given up on online gaming with satellite. However a lower ping would be nice because I think high ping has something to do with Facebook returning lots of 'page cannot be displayed' errors. Not sure though.
Photo of walter

walter

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
my exede has been crap and a total disappointment. maybe this will help. if I'm still with them.90.00 for 6 hrs a month for Internet stinks.

• 2804 Posts
  • 1771 Reply Likes
I pay $100 a month and get 720 hours of good internet, with 90  hours a month with unlimited downloads. If you are having connectivity problems, I would suggest you contact the moderators via email at exedelistens@viasat.com. Include your account number and a phone number, and explain your problem. The moderators are Exede employees at the corporate level, and will get back to you with help.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Sounds like me, Steve. Even if I had the lowest plan, I would get 240 hours of fast speeds before I used all of my priority data.

I can see 1 to 1.5 GB used per day, more here and there for updates, beyond that, it might be time to ask for some help managing usage.

• 2804 Posts
  • 1771 Reply Likes
I have the 50 GB Liberty Plan, and even watching a few hours of Netflix every day, I have yet to use more than 40 GB, but even if I did get on the Pass, I get close to 4 or 5 most of the time, even during the evening hours.
Photo of walter

walter

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
good for you, the same hasn't been for me, and the many others I see on here.And I have talked and talked the few times my call wasn't dropped.
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 24 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Steve, like you we switched to the 50 liberty plan. We usually have 20gs left. That being said our speeds typically run at 5 Mbps during the day and crawl at night to nearly unusable. I'm assuming congrestion since school is out, but not happy about the unexpected extreme slowness. We do love not having to obsess over lack of data. Just disappointed with the low speeds at night. Expected that if we over used, not so much with our situation.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3131 Posts
  • 1107 Reply Likes
Summer is sort of when those night speeds struggle a bit during peak hours and late nights as a lot of folks are on at those times doing large downloads and some of the busier areas may slow. You should be able to browse but some activities like streaming may struggle. If you are seeing a major slow down please call us at 855-463-9333 as it is happening
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Would be nice to have a 50 plan here ! But of course another fine feature we only have 30G here. Rose, good luck if you keep breaking your caps. The "slow down" is unusable for even simple web browsing. Not talking video clips just browsing and pages won't even load! Constant hang ups JUST like DSL (remember that?). Your Excede "help" will go down a maze fixes that will end with " data saving suggestions". This is code for don't use anything that is standard internet service in today 's world. I wonder if they share these data saving tips with their airline customers? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Ever use in flight WiFi? Ever pay for it? I'd guess airlines are on a variation of the Business plans - no throttling but, pay dearly for excess data. Just two hours of that to a passenger averages 12-15.00, depending on the airline in question.

• 2804 Posts
  • 1771 Reply Likes
Rose, it all depends on what beam you are on, and how heavily subscribed your beam is. I am fortunate to be on one of the beams that is only moderately subscribed, and thus far speeds are in the 18 to 20 Mbps during the daytime, and 8 to 12 during the evening prime time. Even on the Pass, I get in the 2 to 4 Mbps speeds in prime time, enough to still watch Netflix movies without buffering.

Once 2018 rolls around, and ViaSat 2 comes on line, we all should see much faster speeds with the extra capacity.
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 24 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve. We are grateful to have internet access and live in our beautiful rural home. Sure beats those old dial up speeds. Looking forward to school starting up and 2018 via sat2!
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Bev, please! It's obvious you haven't been in the business world. The airlines have contracts with Excede and these contracts are worth millions to Excede. I will promise you airlines do not pay "overage" fees. Excede does everything it can to hold on to the airline contracts up to and including making sure they get the best service . In addition, if you are not a frequent flyer and have to pay for the internet, that goes right into the airlines profit center not Excedes. Rose, don't count on it. I was sold the bill of goods that the "liberty Pass" would give what Steve says above. Once I hit my cap Netflix was unusable at anytime. The internet was unusable.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

Sat Internet is NOT for "cord cutters", it IS a (shared) data capped service.

Learn oh to manage your limited data allotment. Do not depend on LNFZ or "pass" types of transfer data delivery rates,

Your $60-$100 per month residential plans do NOT purchase a 3/4 Billion dollar satellite plus ground side gateway infrastructure.

Prices charged to Corporate, Business, Government and Military offset residential costs.

There are many areas that if your systems are properly "tightened" up will allow you to get more "bang for you buck".

Understand the strengths and weaknesses of your system.

Find out what is using your data .. all across your Network.

Photo of Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I guess I must be on a good spot beam because even on Liberty Pass I can still stream Netflix. I might have to reload the page a few times and the resolution might look like a junkyard cathode monitor but it still works without constant buffering.
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Gwalk, I really don't care what or how they purchase their satellites! All I know is they advertise " high speed internet" in signs up and down the roads here. Nowhere to they advertise " this is a shared data capped service". They take my $100 a month and by the middle of the month I can't even load an internet page. I want what I pay for and I'm not happy "tightening up" when I pay for something. Thank God for people like me. We drive companies to meet the needs of their customers.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Thank the powers that be for people that read contracts they sign and, at least try to understand how the things they pay for work.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 479 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
author = John B: I can't even load an internet page. I want what I pay for and I'm not happy "tightening up" when I pay for something.
Oh really?  That is why I have no problem with my internet connection throttled on my end at 150 kbps (about 3X dial up) for everyday internet activities.  However, when I really need the speed, such as when I download a large file, I can and do get it, the speed record to date being 2.5 Mbytes a second.

Regarding streaming video, I personally consider that to be about the biggest waste of resources I can think of.  I can get far more information by simply reading an article, which requires a very small fraction of the data that the streaming video would.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 479 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
author = John B: I can't even load an internet page. I want what I pay for and I'm not happy "tightening up" when I pay for something.
Oh really?  That is why I have no problem with my internet connection throttled on my end at 150 kbps (about 3X dial up) for everyday internet activities.  However, when I really need the speed, such as when I download a large file, I can and do get it, the speed record to date being 2.5 Mbytes a second.

Regarding streaming video, I personally consider that to be about the biggest waste of resources I can think of.  I can get far more information by simply reading an article, which requires a very small fraction of the data that the streaming video would.
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Lol, well aren't you just special! Such good defenders of Excede. Whenever I see a bunch of individuals marching in step I worry about folks. Research Eisenhower and the military industrial complex since your a deep thinker.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 479 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
It all boils down to this John B: my internet works; you say yours doesn't; we both have the same service; what is the problem you have that I don't.  If, instead of spending all this time arguing on this forum, you tried to look for that problem, you might actually find that problem and fix it.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3131 Posts
  • 1107 Reply Likes
Hi John,

I would recommend you contacting us at exedelistens@viasat.com. We can review your service, data usage and see what's happening with your connection.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
Walter, here are some data management tips that can help you get the most out of your data allotment.
http://help.exede.net/articles/General/Maximize-Your-Data
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Bottom line folks, if your like me, moving from the city and fiber optic cable to satellite, your in for a shock......major shock. Satellite internet is in the "stone ages". Excede offers a maximum 30 GB plan in my area for about $150.00/month. We go through that in about two weeks, in what would be considered low to normal use in the city. After we hit the cap, the speed reduces so much even web browsing slows to a crawl. Think of DSL where internet pages "hang up" and won't fully load MOST of the time. We can only hope that the exaggerated claims of Viasat -2 are correct, but I won't hold my breath. Viasat-2 uses technology considered standard 7-10 years ago, and there's really know excuse for the perpetual slowness of satellite companies. If your lucky enough to have line of sight ability to a wireless internet provider, use it. You have to look it up as they are smaller and only service small areas. One last thing, don't be fooled that the reason their current satellite is maxed out is because of users like you and me. Excede contracts with airlines, the military. And other government agencies . They get #1 priority because of the revenue stream they pay and because they put in minimum standards in their contracts that Excede must meet. They use the everyday users like you and me as the control mechanisms to assure their top customers get the service they demand.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

John B,

Bottom line:

You are trying to compare terrestrial ISP's with a satellite connection and frankly there can be no comparison for a number of reasons.

First and foremost the ground based systems have chosen to NOT invest in your current location despite having a MUCH lower cost basis than a sat ISP.

If you have an issue ... you really should take your problem up with the companies you hold in such high regard despite the fact that they refuse .... let me repeat that, REFUSE to invest and service your area despite the fact they can use, use an reuse that equipment investment ... as well as expand and repair that infrastructure for decade upon decade.

A satellite has a projected lifespan of roughly 15 years ... VS-2 is said to have had a cost of $625 Million for the bird and an additional $107 million for launch and insurance costs ... costs that not only need to be recouped in 15 years or less ... let alone turn a profit.

Do you think your paltry $100 per month (or whatever) is going to cover 3/4 Billion $$$ ViaSat has invested in just ViaSat-2?

I think you need to educate yourself on communications and economics of same.

You simply have not explored all aspects of the issue.

Photo of walter

walter

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't need to be educated. I'm educated on knowing I don't get what I pay for, no matter how much the satellite costs.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
So educate us on why you're not getting what you pay for. There may be a solution.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
For those who aren't shy of deterred by a little education look at:

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/technology-media-telecommunications/us-t...

Caution 8MB download, but even with a $130-150 billion dollar investment in fiber, satellite internet is probably here to stay and the only option for many for the foreseeable future. See the sidebar on page 23 entitled "Why rural broadband is more of a challenge in the US than abroad"   
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
And, people live places like I do, it simply isn't worth running 20 miles of fiber for 2 potential customers because they can't make it affordable for any but the two highest incomes in that 20 mile stretch - most of the rural people here can't afford even 30/month on top of their current bills.  If you only make 30,000 a year and, your rent alone is over 400/month you can't afford internet and,, that's those that are able to work out here, of the 7 families here, 4 are on welfare or disability and, live out here because rent is even higher in town and, they can't afford that.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
You are trying to make a crabapple be a Valncia orange - it isn't going to happen, two different animals - Satellite internet and ground based internet. That like comparing your car driving on roads to a rocket in outer space and, expecting both to behave exactly the same and, work the same, need the same things, use the same fuel, etc...
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
And yet, satellite costs more! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
And how would you feel if you had no means to connect to the internet at all?
Photo of Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
If it was fiber or cable ran to low population density areas it would be unfeasibly expensive because so many more meters of line would be required per subscriber. That's why those companies only build infrastructure in populated areas. They're not coming. So you're stuck with satellite or maybe WISP from a tower if you're lucky enough to be near one.
Photo of Chris Maxwell

Chris Maxwell

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
You know, the phone companies said the same thing about running copper phone lines out to the sticks.  Then the government said they had to do it if they wanted to operate in the area.  So they hooked everybody up--and collected the fees for decades.  There's really no reason why we couldn't have a national fiber network other than lack of political will.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Legally, Viasat does provide high speed or, broadband internet so, everyone in America and, a few other countries does have access to high speed internet. All it takes is download speed of 25Mbps or better to qualify - Viasat delivers that if you choose to subscribe to such a plan.

Politicians have no reason to push for anything else, satellite internet already provides us "country bumpkins" with high speed internet service. Maybe some of the "bumpkins" can't afford it, maybe it's metered, maybe it isn't always 25Mbps or better, but it is at times, if you choose the right plan and, that's all politicians see - it's high speed internet available out in the sticks.

The better plan would be to help Viasat improve the technology by providing subsidies for providing high speed internet to rural areas, help Viasat make plans more affordable and, more liberal on data usage as well as faster. Invest our tax dollars in improving what is already out here, and working rather than spend them on something new we don't need.

Why build a new road when all you really need to do is fix a few potholes in the one that's there?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3340 Posts
  • 1921 Reply Likes
Well since an old post got bumped up, Exede has a LONG way to go to deliver up to 25Mbs across the nation. Many areas have no option for that high of speed today unless they get Hughesnet. Now maybe with Viasat-2 Exede can deliver that anywhere in the nation, but nobody knows for sure yet.

I tend to agree. The government subsidized rural electrification and the old copper wire phone system that is now crumbling. Would be nice for hard-wired, high-speed, unlimited internet whereever electric lines go to a home, but not in happening in my lifetime.

So, in the end, many of us rural customers are going to be left with satellite internet for the foreseeable future.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
One person wrote, "Then the government said they had to do it."

With subsidies or course. I'm a rural person who works for a subsidized company but doesn't see the need for government involvement at all, but that's another subject.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
What they fail to discuss is the competitive landscape. Most importantly, low earth orbit satellite systems that will destroy their market. I guess I wouldn't want to think about it either. Thank you Elon Musk!
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 480 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Low earth orbit satellite systems are much more involved and therefore much more costly right now, if they are feasible at all given current technology: https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/will-exede-viasat-ever-launch-into-low-orbit

Then again, if technology advances makes low earth orbit satellite systems feasible, what makes you think that ViaSat won't create its own piece of that action?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2270 Posts
  • 1976 Reply Likes
This was discussed some time ago.  Viasat has decided that LEO isn't the right choice.....https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/are-ssmall-sats-the-future

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Get back to me when Elon starts connecting his first residential customers ;)

For now, I'll go with the horse that brought me this far until a better one comes along... needless to say we'd all still be waiting on the ViaSat-2 launch if ViaSat hadn't jumped ship from the SpaceX Falcon Heavy and we're still waiting on its demo flight.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
Yes well a RUD is a pretty compelling reason to jump ship, before you get on that brand of ship. :)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
RUD - one of Elon's better euphemistic acronyms...
Photo of Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I hope LEO broadband networks work. I want to have a lower latency connection. It's a totally different system though because they zip around the Earth instead of staying in one spot you can aim a dish at. Ya need a whole lot more systems floating around out there to make it work. Elon Musk plans hundreds and then thousands of satellites. Very complex and quite honestly a bit pie in the sky if you ask me. But people said that about landing and reflying boosters too so I'm a little hopeful.
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This is a "go" thing for SpaceX ( or one of his affiliates). They are currently working on it and plan to have first satellites in orbit by 2020. He will eventually have 4,000.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 480 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
They are currently working on it and plan to have first satellites in orbit by 2020.
Except that none of Elon Musk's companies are showing a profit to date, and 4000 satellites and the infrastructure to manage them is going to be ultra expensive, which suggests that Elon Musk's companies might not survive.  ViaSat, by contrast, is showing a very modest profit, so they are on track to survive.  Obviously, I'm going to choose the service that is going to continue to exist.
Photo of John B

John B

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hmmmm, see this is where folks like you like to play like you know what your talking about. But then YOUR WRONG! Teslais now the third largest automobile manufacturer in the US, WITH A $40 billion market capitalization. They most definitely are showing a profit!!!!!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
It's closer to $57 billion at COB yesterday, even Musk admits it's overvalued (based on past performance) and that the stock price only represents future potential. Last year's net "profit" was a loss of somewhere around $773 million.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/TSLA

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-stock-price-too-high-elon-musk-2017-5   

Not sure what metric you're referring two to with regard to third largest...
(Edited)
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 480 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
author = John B: Hmmmm, see this is where folks like you like to play like you know what your talking about. But then YOUR WRONG! Teslais now the third largest automobile manufacturer in the US, WITH A $40 billion market capitalization. They most definitely are showing a profit!!!!!
John B: I hate to break it to you, but: market capitalization is not profit.  The two are not even remotely connected.  Your lack of knowledge here is dangerous for you if you are investing in the stock market.

Market capitalization is simply the number of common shares issued and outstanding multiplied by the latest price per share that someone paid in the stock market.  Profit is what a company has left after all of its expenses are subtracted from its revenues.  Market capitalization can soar or plunge over a period of less than one hour on a whim, and even for companies that are profitable.  I have seen it happen multiple times to many different companies (e.g. VRNG (now FH); ACAD; CEDC and GE in the May 2010 "flash crash").

Tesla's annual report is at: http://ir.tesla.com/secfiling.cfm?filingid=1564590-17-3118&cik=1318605

If you look at page 34 of that annual report, you'll see that they have a net loss of 674,914,000.00 for 2016.  However, more worrisome is that their long term debt is at 10 billion for 2016, up from 4 billion the year before.  Translation: Tesla issued corporate bonds to finance its operating costs.  This is further confirmed by their cash flow statement on page 59 of that annual report.  Corporate bond debt is dangerous to a company that is not making a profit.  All corporate bonds have a maturity date where the company has to pay back the face value of the maturing bonds as well as the interest.  If the company isn't able to pay that, the result is always bankruptcy for the company.  Look up Seadrill (SDRL) for an upcoming example.  Were any hint to surface that Tesla could get into the same kind of bind that Seadrill is now in, its market capitalization would plunge so fast that trading on its stock would almost certainly be stopped for that day.
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 47 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
John B: "Research Eisenhower and the military industrial complex since your a deep thinker." I think I'll just look for the Ignore button instead.