Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2131 Posts
  • 1054 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Shawn Willmon

Shawn Willmon

• 43 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
my gold 12mbs is only $5 cheaper than your 50mbs, why isnt pricing the same across the board, makes no sense
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 70 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
supply and demand , im sure that the area your in and competition in those areas comes into play ,
Photo of Shawn Willmon

Shawn Willmon

• 43 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Yeah, west Texas oil boom area, tons of small towns around
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2122 Posts
  • 1048 Reply Likes
The 50 mbps option is only for people on Viasat 2.  The equivalent of the Gold 50 option is Gold 30 on Viasat 1.  You simply need a wifi modem that can support those speeds.  

In my optionion, Viasat should have never made any speeds beyond 30 mbps available to residential customers.  It just opened up a can of worms regarding people on Viasat 1 complaining they are paying the same price as Viasat 2 customers for slower speeds.

In reality, you won't see a difference in speeds, but people see the speeds posted on plans and go nuts.  The Gold 30 is a good plan.  There have been several reports of people getting over 40 mbps on Gold 30.

If you want to upgrade to Gold 30, or check any other plan offerings, give Viasat a call and see if it is available to you.  Their plans have been all over the place lately.  I've noticed I can sign into my account and see the same plans disappear and reappear every few days.

I'm sticking with my Liberty 12 plan on Viasat 1.  It works perfectly fine, the video isn't throttled, and the data is virtually unlimited outside of primetime hours.
(Edited)
Photo of Brandon Fisher

Brandon Fisher

• 74 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Do not switch to the new plans if your on a current plan that gives 150gb of data because they downgraded all of the plans data allotment even business seen the shaft instead of 300gb a month its now 200gb a month for 499$ not to mention the new bronze silver and gold are no longer all 150gb now its 40gb for bronze 60gb for silver and 100gb for gold. I will def not be switching my silver 150gb for anything unless they add more data allotment because close to 200 bucks for  50mbps and 100gb is not a deal for me. Im paying only 100 a month for 25mbps and 150gb a month. These new plans are a complete rip off and not worth it imo. And def not worth me switching for that matter. Whoever decided on these new plans needs to be fired.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2735 Posts
  • 1717 Reply Likes
Wow, all this bellyaching about low data limits. 6 years ago I switched from Wildblue to Exede, and the plan came with a 7.5GB data limit, with no free zone and no service after the priority data was exhausted. Within months, the plan changed to 10GB, and several months later the free zone came about from midnight to 5 a.m.

Viasat has improved plans greatly over the past 2 years, and there will be improvements in the next several months.

If you folks want unlimited data plans and 100 Mbps, then get on with your life and move to a community where you can get fiber or FIOS. 

For me, the rural living has its advantages, even  though we have to get along with satellite internet.

FWIW, if you thing the Viasat plans are so bad, and expensive, you do have the option to go on over to the Hughesnet service. There you can get 2012 technology and lower data plans, with 480P streaming.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3695 Posts
  • 3712 Reply Likes
It'll take time. Unfortunately everyone was expecting instant gratification with the flip of a switch. Despite alot of new bandwidth now available on Viasat-2, Viasat has to manage that bandwidth over the long haul. Sure total bandwidth has tripled but demand has soared far above that especially during prime time.

With HughesNet Gen5 it appears they exahusted all of their new bandwidth in less than a year; Viasat is proceeding with caution and needs it to last until Viasat-3. Everybody should be dusting off their long forgotten data conservation skills now that they know what unlimited means.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2735 Posts
  • 1717 Reply Likes
Well said, Old Labs
Photo of John

John

• 105 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

I agree. If the past holds true, then Viasat will slowly open up plans as they move forward.