viasat 2 modem

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
At what temperature will the fan turn on on the viasat 2 mdoem? 
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2834 Posts
  • 1551 Reply Likes
Are you sure the fan isn't running all the time?  The fan runs awful quiet. 
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I pull up my modem status page and it show your fan speed and it 0 at 189 F
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 392 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Via ODROID-XU4, here is its thermal information.

It's running in that 190°F range when under full load, and cools down to around 140°F when idling.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 410 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
OK... I'm a bit dense so spell it out for me.  Are those being used as the brains of the new modems ? Or what?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 392 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Michael

It was an analogy comparison...this is being used, Multi-Core MIPS64 Processors.  I can't find a thermal spec sheet, and its thermal properties depend upon clock speed.

Also using Atheros AR8031 for ethernet  These photos show a tear-down of the unit, which shows various components.  Modem is using heat sinks, and fan is at one end of plastic "frame," so its not tied into heat sinks.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 392 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Afterburner unit has a good sized heatsink for something.  These photos show a tear-down of the unit. 189°F would seem high for a CPU, but what this temperature represents is unknown.

Logic might suggest the fan would be required with higher room temperatures, and their program would shut down unit if temperature was too high.  Shutdown temps for CPUs can range from 70 to 100 degrees Celsius  (158°F to 212°F). 

Viasat has engineered electronic equipment for years, so overlooking thermal aspects should not happen.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2678 Posts
  • 1468 Reply Likes
It was overlooked on the last surfbeam modem they put out.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 392 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Oh, so Pogue & Associates forgot about function, in their design?
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 409 Posts
  • 137 Reply Likes
My SB2+ has never gotten more than barely warm to the touch although it has the co-ax pigtail.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 392 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
But, like any high-end computer, the gateway also generates quite a bit of heat – even more heat than our previous modems – which makes efficient cooling of the internal hardware even more important.