Viasat 2 is out of Beta

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Viasat 2 is out of beta and service ready with deployment starting this week region by region with national coverage by the end of the month. They are not planing any major modifications to plan choices at this moment but they are targeting video customers. Keep a check on the plans offered in your service area. Be aware that viasats customer service is wholly inadequate, as they are made aware of any changes and educated on new products late in the cycle, when you do call in.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/satellite/viasat-2-satellite-deemed-ready-service/418059
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 143 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
  • Bored

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Michelle Bowen

Michelle Bowen

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Finally.....do you know if current dishes need redirection to utilize 2 instead of 1?  Is there somewhere that has the regional schedule of upgrade?  Read the article link, but didn't answer those questions and, as you so nicely mentioned, CS is useless as is tech support.  I've noted in several survey responses that they are nothing more than glorified schedulers.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 629 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
Yes, VS2 is in a different location in the sky.  Moving to VS2 will require a new modem, TRIA and a repoint of your dish.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3115 Posts
  • 3067 Reply Likes
Yep see:

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=37843|42740

Viasat-1 is the one over the Pacific, Viasat-2 is over the Columbia/Brazil border or thereabout. Different azimuth and elevation for each relative to your location. You can register, signing and set a custom location for your numbers...    
(Edited)
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Be aware that viasats customer service is wholly inadequate
ViaSat contracts with a 3rd party company to provide its 24/7/365 customer service.  Those customer service agents do not work for ViaSat.  Further, the 3rd party company likely pays those customer service agents minimum wage or thereabouts, so those agents are not very motivated to provide quality customer service.

To provide 24/7/365 customer service in-house would be horrendously expensive for ViaSat, in large part because of ridiculous government fees, taxes, regulations and red tape.  Obviously, ViaSat decided that making customer service available 24/7/365 outweighed the problem of the agents being 3rd parties that are not very motivated and, overall, that has worked, since a customer can at least get a support ticket opened through that 24/7/365 customer service.  The other part of that transaction is having your service installed and maintained by a quality 3rd party installer, but that is a whole new topic.

To mitigate the problem of the 24/7/365 service not being very motivated, ViaSat has also set up this forum, which has moderators who do work for ViaSat.  Those moderators will be able to see your problem and get it fixed.  Alternatively, you can send an email to exedelistens@viasat.com or viasatlistens@viasat.com and that will also go to people who work for ViaSat, who can then solve your problem.

Personally, regarding my service, there were the typical glitches every new service has when first started up but once those were worked through, the service has been flawless.
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 79 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
man I feel I need to rant about viasat using salesforce now.....
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
If you have a good 3rd party installer, meaning one that will give you quality and next business day service for your location or better, then, between that installer and the channels available that do go directly to ViaSat, you really only need the 24/7/365 3rd party customer service for getting things scheduled (i.e. ticket opened), which at least they seem to be able to do.
Photo of Michelle Bowen

Michelle Bowen

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Figured that; worked as a coach (supervisor - internal) and senior in software support for a Fortune 100 company (not naming) for 13 years before heart failure put me on disability.  We also outsourced most of our seasonal support, but far better quality than these folks.  I find my coaching skills kick in every time I've had to speak with them and end up leading the agent.  I recognized unmotivated personnel, I suppose...lol.

Appreciate the email addys - never gotten anything from the surveys as suspect they are simply intended to measure the agent performance.

Poor Oliver - a lot of companies in call support are now using Salesforce - if you stay in the field (assuming you work for Viasat), expect to see it again.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 143 Posts
  • 59 Reply Likes
No I don't see this forum or the customer service involved here as adequate either. When it requires another customer to explain down why they suck there's a failure on their part.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3115 Posts
  • 3067 Reply Likes
That's because this isn't a direct support forum - it's aimed at customer-to-customer self-help.

Even then the only things we can address as customers are problems unrelated to Viasat (e.g. Windows support, other OS support, how to configure a third party router to work with the Viasat service - specifically all of those things for which Viasat has no support responsibility).

If you have a specific complaint about customer service or support, you would do well to go the viasatlistens route when requested by a social media moderator. That will take you out of the standard support channel - no apologies being offered here.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Hansen

Bob Hansen

• 11 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
My system was down for 9 days because the repair service assigned to come to my home was a no call/no show. Viasat couldn't even confirm they were still in business. Another service finally showed up and determined my problems were due a very sloppy install. He had to replace and rewire all of the electronics, most likely because of the dish being loose and no ground. It's been fine since, so I'll call these guys directly instead of Viasat if I have further problems. 
BTW, many of you experiencing slow speed may have a wireless router problem. They do wear out over time. Mine was clocking at 7 mps per the tech, so I got a new Lynsis and now I'm at 15. 
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
do you know if current dishes need redirection to utilize 2 instead of 1?
Yes they will.  ViaSat2 is at about 69.9W longitude (i.e. 22,350 miles above Brazil) and ViaSat1 is at about 115W longitude (i.e. about 22,350 miles above the Pacific Ocean).

Is there somewhere that has the regional schedule of upgrade?
If you login to your Exede (ViaSat) account and go to the list of plans you can switch to, that should give you some idea if ViaSat2 has been introduced to your area.
Photo of Michele

Michele

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What is the URL to access my ViaSat account?  I used to log in to My Exede all the time, but when I tried to log in to ViaSat it took me to https://sso.viasat.com/federation/SSORedirect/metaAlias/idp, and my login doesn't work.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2533 Posts
  • 1557 Reply Likes
Michele, the Viasat dashboard is available at https://account.viasat.com
Photo of Michele

Michele

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you so much!
Photo of Ron

Ron

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What's it mean when there are no list of plans to switch to?
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2533 Posts
  • 1557 Reply Likes
Most likely that Viasat hasn't released the new plans for your beam yet. They should be doing it within the next week, so keep on checking.
Photo of Michelle Bowen

Michelle Bowen

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you - was told by the local tech. that 2 would be an advantage for me due to its proximity and higher direction on the dish as opposed to 1.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2097 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Could be. But you will need a dish repoint, a new tria, and a new modem.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 184 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
... and a new 2 year contract.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2097 Posts
  • 1109 Reply Likes
Touche!
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 169 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Just got a software download on my modem about a couple hours ago 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2149 Posts
  • 1136 Reply Likes
Yes. Those have been happening the last several days.
Photo of Michele

Michele

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How do you know that your modem is getting a software download?
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 163 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Surging Blue Ring on modem/router means its downloading ...I usually lose service it reboots then the surging blue ring starts 
Photo of Michele

Michele

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Interesting.  I've been losing service at least once a day since the first of the year.  Maybe it's trying to download the software update.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2149 Posts
  • 1136 Reply Likes
I think in theory the process is to be transparent, but sometimes you catch the modem downloading the software update, sometimes the modem locks up doing the update, etc.

If you monitor the modem firmware number and record that information, when you see that number change you know an update took place!
(Edited)
Photo of CEH Satellites

CEH Satellites

• 3 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
We need a laugh button because you just made me laugh......
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2149 Posts
  • 1136 Reply Likes
How so? Was I funny? Did I amuse you?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2805 Posts
  • 1130 Reply Likes
Well, my modem had a minor brain fart today over the new software it got. For about an hour, I got "Device not registered with your service provider" on Voice and, no internet despite the modem status page and, the light on the modem claiming it was connected.

Called in and just as the poor front line tech was transferring me to tier 2, it sorted itself out, but that took it about half an hour.

I assume the system temporarily lost my authorization the be there. All good now. As it goes, to err is human, to really foul things up takes a computer LOL (or in this case a whole bunch of them, a few servers, a lot of cables and wires, a couple of satellite antennas and, a big bird in orbit.)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 169 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
yes the new software did not get tested very well in beta I got my Amazon Dots losing connection and my laptop and its making every thing keep going on and offline and all the while the blue ring is there showing good connection,,,,,, NOT SO  it is not stable software it all started on this new update 
(Edited)
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 169 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
ok rebooted everything so far so goof for now