ViaSat 2 - Is it fast? is it truly unlimited?

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
What does “Unlimited” mean? What are users experiencing?
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
It means read the FINE PRINT on the contract and the definition will be revealed.that's my past experiencee
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Depends on what satellite, what plan, what location.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Viasat is not truly unlimited. On some plans your speed will drop to almost nothing if you go over your data limit. On other plans your speed will be "prioritized" if you go over, meaning during times of congestion your service will be quite slow.
Photo of Nathan J. Churchill

Nathan J. Churchill

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And they lie about the congestion.  Even when there is none, congestion, they throttle you to next to nothing if you're over your unlimited limit.  Worst internet service on the planet - dial-up was less exasperating.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Even when there is none, congestion, they throttle you to next to nothing if you're over your unlimited limit. 
And how do YOU know when there's no congestion? 
Photo of Claudia Remley

Claudia Remley

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It’s true! They are the worst internet service I have ever had. I cannot WAIT to get out of my contracts! ☹️
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 174 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
It seems like unhappy customers are a dime a dozen these days. Does Viasat even care about residential customers anymore?
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 223 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
Unhappy customers are welcomed with open arms around here; those satisfied are browbeaten and simply avoid the beatings with a few noteworthy exceptions who are apparent gluttons for punishment.

Perhaps Claudia would like to add some substance to her complaint - it may be correctable or not.

If not fixable and if a viable alternative is available she would do well to cancel and not wait to get out of the contract rather than continue on with the worst internet service she's ever had  - $15 per remaining month is a small price to pay to preserve one's sanity and restore happiness. Dare I say that there are some that weren't even aware of that thinking they must pay off the entire 2 year commit.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1245 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
I agree. Why wait until contract is out. $15/month isnt that much when people pay $1,000+ for a mobile device.

Here is something though. Hughesnet offers a 30 day cancellation period. Is Viasat not confident enough in their initial customer satisfaction level they cant do the same? I will give credit to Hughesnet on this point. I am sure they lose some new customers, but must retain enough to make it worthwhile.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
Here is something though. Hughesnet offers a 30 day cancellation period.
No, they don't.  They may have many years ago, and some sites may still incorrectly state that they do, but HughesNet doesn't offer a "no penalty" cancellation period.  The contract, and the early termination fee,  is valid the instant the service goes live.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1245 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
30 day trial offered in my area. Got the mailer the other week stating it.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
It may be something a reseller is offering, but HughesNet themselves don't offer such.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1245 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
Could be. I talked to a dealer the other week. He covered the eastern half of Ohio. Surprised of the coverage area for one dealer.

Personally I want to avoid satellite internet again. Wireless has it's up and downs but is cheaper and I can stream using 90GB or so a month with no issues. But it is good to know what other internet option I have. Maybe LEO will but become a game changer.
(Edited)
Photo of SamZzz

SamZzz

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
While "technically" it is Unlimited, there is a point at which you will be "de-prioritized" ... meaning others who have not reached this limit will get their data first and yours will become slower during periods of heavy usage.  What it's meant to us is that in the evenings when we get home from work.. I can no longer stream Netflix or any of my TV apps until the period resets. 
If you're planning on becoming a cord-cutter and watch TV alot, you'll have issues.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Best to get the Dish Network $22 package.
Photo of Brannnnnn

Brannnnnn

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
NOT UNLIMITED!! After going over our 100 they have “prioritized” our speed which really means your out of luck for internet until your new month. So frustrating to pay this much and can’t use internet at all. Called many times they just tell me I’ve gone over my 100 and it will be slow until the new billing cycle. Our family has to turn off WiFi and use our cell phones to stream or browse the internet. Sitting here watching Netflix on my iPhone instead of my 75in smart tv. Called to cancel since we are still on our 1st month and it’s $350 to get out of my contract.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
Everything you said is true and explained in the contract you agreed to.  Stay under your data Limit and things will work out better.
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Data limits are the key words, but it’s advertised as unlimited?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
Unlimited DATA, not speed.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 883 Posts
  • 531 Reply Likes
Brannnnnn, non-stop streaming and you will go over your priority data very quickly. Satellite is not meant for "cord cutting".
Photo of Brannnnnn

Brannnnnn

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes, we have direct tv & have not “cut the cord” so to speak, with that being said paying $150 a month for the gold plan ( the salesman & I spoke about our streaming needs for our family before I signed up) I feel should be able to watch Netflix on my $150 a month internet. Just going to pay the cancelation fee and go back to our old service. Live & learn Thank you
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 883 Posts
  • 531 Reply Likes
Who was your old internet service with?
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
$150 per month is a lot. You would think you could at least watch Netflix without issues.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You can watch Netflix. But if you go over your priority data, you might not be able to.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3129 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
I am on the Freedom 150 GB plan, a plan that was only offered for a very short time a year or so back. I do watch Netflix and Hulu, sometimes three hours a day. That will average about 15 GB a day, so I can't do that every day of my cycle or I will max out and then it is SLOW time. Since back in the "old days" (2012) when I started with Viasat I only had 10 GB a month, then later 18 GB a month, with gradual increases as time went on, I am always very careful how much of  my monthly "data budget" I have used, and work with that. My only choice for internet is satellite, and Viasat is my ISP of choice at my home.

Back a few years ago, streaming programs and movies was just not an option with satellite internet. Now it is, within reason. One just must be aware of how much data they have used so they can stretch their data allotment through the whole cycle.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I hope 3 hours of streaming isnt using 15GB! Should be around 6 or so, and that is for HD quality.
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 135 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Netflix for 3 hours day doesn't use that much. lol. That's about how much I watch and we still have plenty to spare. Unless you're watching full HD.
Photo of Nathan J. Churchill

Nathan J. Churchill

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
And it's all a lie - they have bandwidth.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2741 Posts
  • 1428 Reply Likes
They have bandwidth?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1975 Posts
  • 1209 Reply Likes
Is it the weekend already?  

I've got my popcorn ready.  Extra buttery!!!  
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
That’s terrible! Why would they say unlimited? Unlimited access, but not unlimited speed apparently.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
Unlimited is used by all internet providers and does not mean unlimited speed.  All it means is you are not completely shut down or automatically charged for more date when you go over your limit.  This is nothing new and has been happening for years with providers.  ( also Brannnn, you are probably on a plan that throttles your streaming to 2mbs all the time, even with priority data.  So going over your data will really throttle your streaming speed!)
(Edited)
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I was looking at U.S. Cellular's prepaid options (need a temp. phone and they are the only carrier with coverage in a certain area), I like their advertising.  $40 gets 3GB then throttled to 2G.  $55 gets "unlimited"* (*"All data on Unlimited Data plans stream at speeds of up to 3.0 Mbps and will automatically shift to 2G speeds when each line reaches 15GB").  Might as well call the $40 plan unlimited too, same difference, $55 plan could be "even more unlimited than unlimited". "Unlimited", though technically true, is a plan description that is thrown around WAY too much.
Photo of L.L.

L.L.

• 37 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Agreed! Unlimited is just a flashy marketing term to attract the sheep.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3463 Posts
  • 1299 Reply Likes
Jim is pretty correct. We do get beat up over that a bit but it's unlimited data since we do not cap you off or shut you off after surpassing a certain amount according to whatever plan you go with. You may see speeds slow as you're put on a lower priority on the network during peak hours (5pm-12am in most areas) but you still have a connection and can probably surf but streaming might be difficult to do.
Photo of BenjaminB

BenjaminB

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Viasat approved wording states "Unlimited Data". I prefer to look at it positively, this helps you have decent internet while you're within your priority limit. If Viasat promised truly Unlimited High-Speed, nobody would ever get high-speed. I do wish there was still a Free Period though. This would give customers who are interested in conserving data a way to do so with the unlimited plans.
Photo of John Sutterfield

John Sutterfield

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
i got att weireless internet works great and cheaper
Photo of John Sutterfield

John Sutterfield

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
and sorry brad i am not able to browse my web page just sits and loads then times out unlimited bull
Photo of Rygen

Rygen

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I've dealt with the same issue.  I'm fine with the limits, but I cannot browse the net once over the limit, I get time outs and socket errors.  That is the only issue I have with the service.  I now make sure I stay under the limit.
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 11 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
My experience is that for the first two months were pretty good, as long as I wasn't streaming netflix. Now, I am 11 days from the end of my billing period. I have been throttled since a few days after my billing period started. I say throttled as the tech that came out couldn't find anything wrong with the dish, wiring, or modem. He tried to replace the modem, but couldn't get the new one associated with my account. So Here I sit, having 11 days left in the billing period, I have only used 19 of the 100 GB I have for the month. My current download speed is 250Kbps. I would suggest to read a book rather than subject yourself to this misery.
Photo of Audrey Sorrell Bailey

Audrey Sorrell Bailey

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I signed up when the "Unlimited Silver" plan was first offered in my area. I was told they would be NO PRIORITIZATION... No magic number.... which appears to be 150MB. I explained to the representative on the phone, my husband is a Stroke victim. All he does is stream TV shows and movies all day long. I was told No worries! Your service, if you choose the Silver or Gold plan is truly unlimited! I asked....what about prioritization, slowing the speed down until streaming is not an option. I was told, "Not going to happen! There is no limit!" THEY ARE LIARS. DO NOT BE TAKEN IN! When I called to complain about not even being able to check my email, not to mention stream any TV shows, I was told, that the Unlimited Silver plan (Which is what I am paying $120 a month for) is no longer available in my area and we would continue to be prioritized at 150MB as long as we have our service. But feel free to cancel if you are not satisfied with your service. (With a penalty fee, of course).  This month we were throttled with 14 days left in this billing period, last month, about the same. When I first signed up, this did not happen. So, what this amounts to: They will tell you anything to hook you into a 2 year contract... you are penalized if you break it, they do whatever they want after they hook you, because they have you in a 2 year contract. I reported them to the FTC. I may not be able to do anything to help our situation, but every time someone asks how I like Exede/ViaSat... they get an earful.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 439 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
The FTC will do nothing to a company that is abiding by the contract that you agreed to. In future remember to always get it in writing. Take nobodies word for anything. Nobodies.
Photo of Danielle Brennan

Danielle Brennan

• 95 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Back in February, Viasat changed their data policy on the plans with 150GB so that they can deprioritize, or throttle, anyone even if they haven't used anywhere near the data limit. I was on  the Freedom 150GB plan, and was often slowed down to 1 Mbps or less with my usage at less than 20GB. 

You should have gotten an email explaining this, and the options you could take. For me, since Viasat basically was trying to get those on the 150GB plans, I just cancelled my service 
(Edited)
Photo of ggg rt

ggg rt

• 193 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Basically a sales person told you one thing and you agreed with a contract of service that states something different. Your option is to PAY the penalty and terminate the service they actually offer. My sales person lied to me many times over a period of weeks to get my money.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1247 Posts
  • 776 Reply Likes
Legal or not, misrepresenting something to get a sale does nothing but hurt a company's reputation.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2112 Posts
  • 1282 Reply Likes
As mentioned by Danielle, you should have gotten an email about your plan, in which it was explained that you had the option to cancel your service WITHOUT penalty if you did not agree with the changes.  I don't know if there is a time limit to this offer, so you may want to search your past emails to find it, if it hasn't already been deleted and/or purged, that is.  You also may want to call to ask about this, as you may still have this option.  

BTW, your prioritization threshold is 150GB, not 150MB.  

One should ALWAYS do their research about a product or service before signing on the proverbial dotted line.  This doesn't excuse any lies allegedly told by the sales representative, but it would have saved you form an unfortunate surprise.  It's a hard lesson to learn.  I do, however, understand that, in your present situation, that may not have been something you were thinking about.  Sorry about your husband.  :(  

Satellite internet, even when it's advertised as "unlimited", isn't made for cord cutting.  Streaming is a very data intensive activity that can exhaust your pre-prioritization data very quickly.  It can be at a rate of upwards of 3GB or more per hour.  Fifty hours of streaming doesn't really take that long in the context of a month, and that's JUST the streaming.  Everything else that's done uses data, as well.  

Good luck.  
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
How fast determines on your location, the weather, the installation, your equipment, the website, the size of the file you are downloading, whether or not your are on wifi or ethernet, the number of people are online in your home, the amount of data you have left and how many other people are online that share your "satellite node."   So that's a lot of variables and THEY ALL affect speed.  Remember Satellite is like a big fat wifi antennae in the sky that everyone is sharing.  Will you have unlimited, basic, bare minimum access to the internet?  Yes.  Unlike before when you would run out of data you were cut off totally. If you have teenagers just do yourself a favor, buy the biggest, best package and hope for the best.   You will still run out of data and there will be times of slowness.