Viasat-2 has begun beta service; announces commercial service launch in February

• Announcement
  • Updated 12 months ago
  • (Edited)
Great news! ViaSat-2 has entered beta service, with commercial services slated to launch in early February. 

I know everyone here is itching for status updates on ViaSat-2 – the Newsroom on our website is a great place to keep up on our latest press releases and announcements. You can check out our latest press release on the upcoming ViaSat-2 satellite here.

As noted on the press release, there will be more updates on the status of the ViaSat-2 service launch plans at the next regularly scheduled earnings conference call, which is planned for early February 2018. We’ll be sure to keep you updated. 
Photo of Lizzie

Lizzie, Viasat Official Rep

• 45 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2381 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
A new Viasat person!  Hi Lizzie.
Photo of Lizzie

Lizzie, Viasat Official Rep

• 45 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Hi Jim! Nice to meet you!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2381 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
I hope you're nicer than     Brad.  :)
(Edited)
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
it's a trap Lizzie don't respond to that lol
Photo of bbminis

bbminis

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Why don’t you fix the problems with your crappy sevice before launching new programs?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2381 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
Again bbminis, you have no idea what you are talking about.  What she is talking about will fix the problems.
Photo of bbminis

bbminis

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Not likely
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1755 Posts
  • 1068 Reply Likes

Look stupid, (Yea you bbminis), you're stinking up our forum.  If you have a problem, gripe, or just want to vent, START YOUR OWN THREAD AND STAY THERE.

Photo of bbminis

bbminis

• 11 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Can’t take it? Fix the problems.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2637 Posts
  • 1354 Reply Likes
Bbminis is right. They should fix Viasat 1 before they invest money in Viasat 2 and Viasat 3.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 593 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
OMG!!!  Ignorance can be fixed but STUPID goes clean to the bone!
Photo of Elizabeth Sarah Nesbitt

Elizabeth Sarah Nesbitt

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Does this mean people stuck with paying for unlimited slow data can use it now? Or, when one reaches 150gb, will videos actually play? Funny how our contracts are binding but not viasats.
(Edited)
Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 146 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I want to try the new Viasat-2. I been a customer for about 4 years. I need the experience of something new...  ;-)  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5099 Posts
  • 3146 Reply Likes
Pay the money, get a higher priced plan, and I am sure you can get on it!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Can't wait to see what it does to the stock value.  I'm planning to purchase a little more stock next week.
Photo of Safely Anonymous

Safely Anonymous

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
i don't think you'll get rich with this stock either way...maybe look at bitcoin etc
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Bought more shares about two weeks ago. Plan to buy some more after the 15th.

Safely Anonymous

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
its not exactly a deal at 77.44 per share but you may make a few bucks good luck to you sir
Photo of Troy Stevens

Troy Stevens

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Can I get on it since I only get this.......

Safely Anonymous

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
scary stats you have there
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Troy,

See my response to you at:

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/back-office-thats-where-my-problem-is-real-or-fake

Even with the speed test used here showing a more accurate ping/latency time for satellite internet, it appears your WiFi signal is a even lower here and may be the culprit.
Photo of Troy Stevens

Troy Stevens

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Same results with gaming laptop hardwired but it is doing much better this morning. They did say they would work on it.
Photo of Troy Stevens

Troy Stevens

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Update
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
What service plan do you have?
Photo of Troy Stevens

Troy Stevens

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Silver 25 unlimited
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Have you used more than 150 GB for the month?
Photo of Troy Stevens

Troy Stevens

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
No. When I called they verified I was under and said there was a problem on their end. Told me to call back later
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
That stinks.  I would expect to see speeds of at least 1 to 5 mbps during prime time.  
Photo of Elizabeth Sarah Nesbitt

Elizabeth Sarah Nesbitt

• 2 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have, and now Netflix doesn't play. Unlimited highway robbery
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Thanks for answering your own question.
Photo of justin mardis

justin mardis

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I just hit 150gb yesterday and im at a whole 19kbps dial up was faster not to mention after reset most i have seen on 25mbs pack is 9mbps a complete rip off salesman said even after 150 it would still be usable it wont even load pics on pages
Photo of Jaime Hernandez

Jaime Hernandez

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I wanna know what your ping is at full speed
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5132 Posts
  • 3162 Reply Likes
Ping is going to be 600+. The laws of physics dictate that.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 634 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
My installer is starting beta testing with Viasat 2 this weekend. He's gonna let me know his first impressions after a week or so of testing.

Safely Anonymous

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
is there a modification needed to the dish outside? just had this installed 3 months ago

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Yes, moving/migrating to Viasat-2 will require an installer visit. It's been stated that  new equipment will be required. Whether that includes the dish itself or simply the modem/TRIA has not been made clear.

Regardless the dish will need to be pointed/peaked in the direction of the new satellite which requires an installer (assuming that you have a clear line of sight to Viasat-2)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5132 Posts
  • 3162 Reply Likes
New modem for sure. New dish no. Unsure if new tria is needed or not.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
But the marketing team will probably demand installers paint over the old brand and replace with Viasat and the proper colors on the dish ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3022 Posts
  • 1928 Reply Likes
Can't see them painting over the dish. I had my Exede service installed in April 2012. The dish still has the Wildblue insignia on it. It has worked just fine with Exede and now Viasat. The microwave signals don't seem to care what the dish says on it.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 674 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
The dish itself is the same, although the new ones, of course, have the new Viasat logo on it instead of Exede or Wildblue. If you upgrade, the installer may or may not replace the reflector (dish) depending on the condition of the old one. The modem is completely different -- it's an all new design with an enhanced internal Wi-Fi router - and it's sorta pyramid shaped. The TRIA is also completely new. It's a fair amount bigger than the last version to handle some of the functions that the previous modem had in it. The whole unit also needs to be repointed since the new bird is in a different part of the sky at 69W.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 197 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Alex, will new wiring be required? And if not, can I ask for it anyhow? If they leave the dish in the same location on my roof, I want to move the wires so that I can have a much shorter run. My resistance is good, my SNR is good, but the cable run I have now is too darned long. I can re-locate the new modem if they are willing to run new wires. Let me know if I can facilitate that, please - and thanks!
Photo of Julie Curry

Julie Curry

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okay i have the unlimited plan. But it's still not enough, we're going over the limit.Is there a plan above that? Because it's becoming a problem in my house. My kids stay online and they have daily assignments online and their not able to complete. .
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5132 Posts
  • 3162 Reply Likes
For us old timers, just remember how fast Viasat-1 was, at its inception. I am sure it will be great, but until the system comes under load we won't know the average speeds we will see.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
And then they went and added another customer ;)
Photo of Ron D Stricklin

Ron D Stricklin

• 75 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
At launch viasat 1 should speed up. They should be moving all military and industrial customers over.
Photo of Alex

• 674 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Keep in mind, too, that the first of our terabit ViaSat-3 satellites is slated to launch for service over North & South America in 2020, so the time between birds (and the potential for loading up) should be a good deal less than what happened between ViaSat-1 (2012) and ViaSat-2 (2018).
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5132 Posts
  • 3162 Reply Likes
As long nobody spills cleaning solution, no rocket blows up, and there is no civil unrest :)
Photo of Alex

• 674 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Jim, ya gotta believe!
Photo of Dontrellz Page

Dontrellz Page

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Tell me why I look in January I seen on exede.com and saw I had unlimited data I sign up today thought I was going to get the unlimited plan but they said that I was going to get the liberty plans something I got the 18 Gb Plan Download speed is 12mbps download 2 mbps  I really cant wait to the new plans going to bring because this liberty plan not going to last long.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Sounds good.  Sign me up as a new customer to beta test Viasat-2.  I'm ready today!
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 49 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
"ViaSat-2 has entered beta service, with commercial services slated to launch in early February. "

So existing individual consumers might get service when?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Why is everyone so obsessed with switching to the new bird?  Once Viasat shifts people from congested beams to Viasat 2, traffic is pretty much going to be the same for everyone no matter what bird you are pointed at.  It will be a huge improvement for everyone.

It's all about managing traffic.  If Viasat shifted all of their customers to Viasat 2, we would just end up with another congested satellite in the near future.  Sure it has more capacity but it can only handle so much.

It is in Viasat's best interest, and the customer's best interest, for Viasat to manage traffic by keeping a certain percentage of subscribers on various beams across the constellation of three satellites.  It wouldn't  make sense to ditch two perfectly good satellites just to shift everything to something shiny and new.

I plan to keep my Liberty 12 plan and say on Viasat 1, unless they offer something better for the same price, or something cheaper than what I already have.

I'm only paying $60.99 after modem lease and taxes.  I constantly use over 100 GB a month.  Last month was something like 200 GB and I used nearly 300 GB the month before that.

I'm all for Viasat dictating who moves to the new bird and who doesn't.  They know their network and they know how to manage it far better than a crazy cat lady that wants to Netflix n chill with fluffy.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Why is everyone so obsessed with switching to the new bird?
From reading forums posts, it seems to be because current (Viasat-1) satellite internet is terribly slow.  And other posts saying just to wait for Viasat-2 and it'll all be better, with the implication that getting on Viasat-2 will resolve the slowness.
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 103 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I tested this morning and got 24 Mbits down and 3 up. I'm on the silver unlimited 25 plan and just got my new monthly allotment, so this is as good as I could possibly expect.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
My point is, everyone doesn't need to move to Viasat 2 to fix the congestion issue.  It will fix itself as Viasat migrates subscribers from congested beams to the new bird.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Yes, you and I realize that, but I guessed your 'everyone' from your question was those who didn't realize it.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
And as for me, since I'm only seeing Silver 25 pop up for me as a new customer, I suspect my area is congested and I would be put on Viasat-2.  Unless there is an intent to move enough existing customers from congested (Viasat-1) beams to free up space for new customers on those beams, which seems counter-productive.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5132 Posts
  • 3162 Reply Likes
You are correct. If only Silver is offered you are on a more congested beam.
Photo of Ike Stewart

Ike Stewart

• 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Given the cost of repointing dishes and installing to TRIA's for Viasat-2 I suspect Viasat will primarily allow Viasat-1 congestion to clear up through customer attrition and only promote it to those that complain about performance.   

Personally I am hopeful that switching to Viasat-2 will solve some of my rain fade issues as according to the spotbeam map I am on the edge of my current spot beam.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5132 Posts
  • 3162 Reply Likes
Will also need new modems.

I dont know if they will be backward compatible, but if they phase out the modem that gets very hot and WiFi performance issues, is that a bad thing?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
Mine runs cool enough and has good connectivity. Maybe the first batch was bad?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I wish I had one of those hot running modems.  Its freaking cold tonight.  Could use the extra heat.
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 929 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
oh wowza!!! :D A NEW PERSON JUST LIKE ALEX!!! nice to meet ya lizzie :D also what i mostly want is more data caps such as 300gbs a month :3 for like the bronze plan (which i have the bronze and its only 153$ and some cents) and also if so 100$ for the 250gbs and also 80$ for the 150gbs :D welp i hope that it does come true :3 ALSO!!! ME WANT MORE GBS PWEEZ!!! ;-; (i REALLY do HOPE there is a 300gbs plan if so imma jumping onto it first into my bean!!! >:3    )
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 49 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Someone posted in another thread that they were suddenly getting 44 Mbps, so I tested my connection. I'm on an "up to" 25 Mbps plan but usually get 12-16 with occasional results of 19. I'm getting 41 at the moment, per my last two tests via http://beta.speedtest.net/.

One takeaway is it's good to know the current "up to" 25 Mbps modems can serve much, or at least somewhat higher speeds. Perhaps that was known or obvious to the more tech savvy.

One concern with wanting to be on Viasat2 is the previously hinted, and recently reinforced, upcoming speeds approaching 100 Mbps. If I can get the same or close to it speeds I won't care about which satellite.
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 49 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser: "You are correct. If only Silver is offered you are on a more congested beam."

There are better plans (in some areas) than up to 25 Mbps and "unlimited"?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Unlimited Gold at 30 Mbps and video "optimization" at 720P.
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 49 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
That's it! I'm suing, organizing a protest march, and sulking!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5132 Posts
  • 3162 Reply Likes
There will still be different plans depending on location with Viasat-2.

While that is not "officially" sourced, wait and see.

Now I will speculate that at a minimum the "Gold" plan available in limited locations today will be available in any location once Viasat-2 becomes operational. Beyond the gold plan, that is also wait and see but some of the dealer links Old Labs has posted hint at what is coming, just remember the caviot "depending on location".
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
That's what I've been saying all along. Once traffic is optimized, it won't matter what satellite you are pointed at. Viasat 1 is a very capable satellite.
Photo of Jim Eoff

Jim Eoff

• 49 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
IF we can get the same plans as Viasat2 offers. I haven't seen that said. I HAVE seen it said that it would take a new modem and a dish adjustment. Of course it's hard to know what's authoritative and what's not.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
It's authoritatively been sourced that migrating to Viasat-2 will require a new modem, a new TRIA and dish realignment.

It has only been suggested plans will differ between the two satellites just as they currently do between different beams.

(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I love this forum.  People are happy with their current speeds, don't know what the new plans will be, and are complaining that they might not be able to switch to whatever the new plans might be.

Gotta love it.  Now I just wish I didn't have any garlic with my pasta last night.  Feel the burn.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
As we return to our regularly scheduled programming and the myth of universal speed increases fades:

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment that was known
As Camelot.

(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2381 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
We need to start a contest.  What will the complaints be now that speed and data are improving?  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
I didn't pay my bill on time.  Viasat is evil because they cut my service off!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5132 Posts
  • 3162 Reply Likes
Well the holiday slowdown is thankfully behind us, so as many of us experienced users said, speeds would improve in January.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2381 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
Maybe something else is going on.  Speeds shouldn't increase more than people have ever gotten before.  Maybe Viasat has un-fettered VS1 and increased the speeds for all in advance of VS2 coming online.  Or VS2 is already taking loads off VS1.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
ViaSat 1 was always capable of over 50Mbps. Not sure if it could do 100Mbps. Maybe they are testing to see what happens when some restraints (throttling) are taken away in terms of network congestion.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2381 Posts
  • 2100 Reply Likes
This is what happens!

Photo of James Irvin

James Irvin

• 68 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
It’s all pretty damn exciting to an old 8 foot disher like myself.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 634 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
Viasat 2 can't come soon enough. My speeds have been horrible this winter due to congestion on my beam.
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 84 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
I'm hoping they free up the congestion on beam 367 cuz it's way slow

Photo of Terry Hocking

Terry Hocking

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have tried to get help on every platform. Still get horrible speeds with faster upload than download. Many excuses, no help, but a $185 bill. Are you going to help at all?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 904 Posts
  • 472 Reply Likes
Hi Terry,

I'm not finding a case under your name of email.  Have you tried emailing us at ViasatListens@viasat.com?  (Recently changed from exedelistens@viasat.com)  

Please send us an email with a detailed description of your issue.  Be sure to include your account number, or phone number attached to the account!
Photo of Deb

Deb

• 12 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
For me, the big question is whether or not upgrading to the new equipment will require a new 2 year contract. I am hoping ViaSat will do the right thing and not require a new 2 year commitment.

ViaSat employees, can you confirm one way or another?

Thank you.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 904 Posts
  • 472 Reply Likes
If you choose a plan that requires the new equipment, and to have your dish repointed to VS2, then yes, there will likely be a new contract to be signed.  

It would be very similar to a move order.  We don't charge you to move (or migrate to VS2), but a new contract will be required.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
That’s disappointing. Will mean slower rates of migration. For new customers I guess it won’t matter. Not signing a new contract. Might pay a cash fee though.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
For existing customers, any time you choose a new plan the requires different equipment, you have to sign a new contract?!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4365 Reply Likes
Ken,

No I believe Matt B is referring to existing customers simply switching to a plan ob Viasat-2 that require's an installer visit (somebody's got to pay for it and that's likely the customer and the intent is to allow recovery of that cost through the commitment probably ) - there's been some past specualtion as to whether that would be the case - we may have just received an answer.

Going back to Wildblue and transitioning to Exede, I was given the option to pay for the install or re-up for two years as I recall (but slightly different circumstances there) - we'll know soon enough I guess. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5067 Posts
  • 3130 Reply Likes
I didn't have the option moving from Wildblue to Exede. I kept my same provider but was required to do a new two year commitment despite being a 6 year customer.

If you remember Old Labs, some Wildblue customers refused to upgrade to Exede because of that. Of course they were only hurting themselves!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3009 Posts
  • 1924 Reply Likes
I had been a Wildblue customer for 4 years when Exede became available to me. I did have to sign a  new 2 year contract, but was offered a lifetime lease on the equipment for $250, no installation charge and got a $50 credit. I would have switched without those offers since my Wildblue 1 Mbps plan had already degraded to around 250 Kbps by then due to being oversold. Exede was a great improvement.
Photo of Susan Kornblut

Susan Kornblut

• 47 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I checked my speeds today on speedtest:32.2 mbps download and 4.93 upload thanks those are very good speeds mine vary from about 18 up at night when it is more congested hoping for 50 up and 10 down at least when new service comes out.Have freedom 150.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
New Plans Are Up!!!!!!!!

Not really. But I’m looking forward to seeing those words for real.
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 74 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
I nearly jumped out of my seat upon reading the first part of your post.

The second part simultaneously made me chuckle and gave me a sad.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
I had originally put a whole lot of space in between the two for dramatic effects. Unfortunately, when it posted most of the spaces were taken out. Saves server space I suppose
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5062 Posts
  • 3123 Reply Likes
My Viasat provider rolls out there new plans Thursday. They are VERY underwhelming but I expect Viasat to offer better options. At least I would hope so!
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes

Bradley,

There's a way to do that, like this:

New Plans Are Up!!!!!!!! 

Not really. But I’m looking forward to seeing those words for real. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
That’s the effect I was shooting for. Space bar instead of return?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes
Nope... spaces are truncated as are 'Enter' ("return" for some people).
My double-post problem has me learning what makes this thing tick and I've found a few anomalies along the way.  When I gather enough of them I'll submit them to Viasat to take to Get Satisfaction for their action.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
Not giving up the info eh?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes

If we had the PM system here I could tell you, but as it is, it goes to everybody and I don't want to get a heated email telling me to keep exploits and out-of-ordinary situations out of the public view.  It's not like "my secret," it just wouldn't be well-received by Viasat or Get Satisfaction.  They would certainly think "What's next?"

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
Lol. Fair enough. Prepare for some spam tonight though as I try to figure this out. Challenge accepted.

Test.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1754 Posts
  • 1067 Reply Likes

You're in for a long night.   ;o)

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
Maybe not.

But maybe.
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 197 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
You're on the...

... right track?
(Edited)
Photo of Rique

Rique

• 197 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
Nope.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
Lol. Hope it becomes a fad thing like those Kardashian’s.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
What's a Kardashian?

Some sort of sweater?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2639 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
hey you it is my car to me that you get into my car. who's that lady coming down the road who's that lady who's that woman walking through my door I'll be the sun shining on you I'll be your lover get it while you can I'm Your Man. Get out of my dreams. Get into my car. Get out of my dreams. Get into my car. Yeah. Get out of my mind. Life. Hey Siri.
Photo of Michael Nyland

Michael Nyland

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have unlimited silver 25 mbps, very slow ,too slow. Used only 40.0 GB in a month. For the price I pay, its not worth the money.
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Status of Viasat 2
Photo of James Billinger

James Billinger

• 153 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
still pending...I am hoping plans roll out today..
Photo of Michael Nyland

Michael Nyland

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Time to get service that can make viewing video streams of 4k a reality.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2637 Posts
  • 1354 Reply Likes
Already a reality on Liberty 12.  You just have to know how to manage your data.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
So tell us Stephen, which service allows for 4K downloads? Can you really stream 4K on your Liberty 12? I’d think a rock solid 12Mbps might stream 4K, but satellite is never rock solid.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2637 Posts
  • 1354 Reply Likes
I had 15 mbps when I checked my connection at 3am.  I would imagine that is more than enough for 4k.  

My Playon/Plex server automatically records video from 3am to 6am each morning.  
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
Try and let us know.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2637 Posts
  • 1354 Reply Likes
I only upgraded to HD Netflix this morning.  I'm to cheap to pay for Ultra HD.

I've got no clue on how to check if something is 720p, 1080p, or whatever else, but that episode of Altered Carbon is 59 minutes and 1.07 GB.  
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1272 Posts
  • 414 Reply Likes
I guess that makes sense seeing as how you just recently upgraded from black and white tv. Been curious if anyone has ever gotten 4K to stream reasonably.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 145 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes
Ep 1 was 480p @ 565MB.
After I changed it in the iPhone app to use HD,
Ep 2 was 720p @ 867MB.

And yes, even on a 22in TV, I could tell Ep1 was SD.  That prompted me to change it to record in HD (since I didn't realize there was a setting when I did the first recording).
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2637 Posts
  • 1354 Reply Likes
Well I guess I am getting at least 720p since it used 1 GB to record episode 1.
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Status of New eSVT. Tools
Photo of Rhonda Hill Riley

Rhonda Hill Riley

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My question is with my Viasat 1, The internet will not let me use my on demand or Netflix. I guess not fast enough?? Wii viasat2 let me do these things?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5057 Posts
  • 3121 Reply Likes
It should. But you will pay a premium to get on one of the higher speed plans. Right now, those are the only plans offered on Viasat-2, and then availability of those plans is limited to a few areas of the country right now.