Viasat 2 2019

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
Do you guys think VS2 will arrive in 2019 because it’s about that time to change to another different plan I’m not complaining or anything I just saying it will be better to get it then. VS1 is a workable service for me...
Photo of Dontrellz Page

Dontrellz Page

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
  • thankful I have Viasat

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3616 Posts
  • 2112 Reply Likes
Will Viasat 2 has been around for several months now. Due to antenna issues though, it didnt reach it projected potential in terms if performance or coverage area.

Did you by chance mean to say Viasat 3?
Photo of Dontrellz Page

Dontrellz Page

• 58 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
No I’m talking about VS2 I’m still on VS1 so it’s not available in my area I can’t even upgrade my plans so how it’s been in several of months
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1005 Posts
  • 616 Reply Likes
True, but the Hubble is just a tad bit lower.  Just a tad.  About 21,900 miles.  :) 
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3912 Posts
  • 3995 Reply Likes
Highest space shuttle altitude was about 390 miles...

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3545 Posts
  • 2056 Reply Likes
Where is a Saturn V when you need one to get the astronauts up to that height!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1005 Posts
  • 616 Reply Likes
There are still existing Energia components.  The Energia was close to the Saturn V in power.  Maybe ViaSat could borrow one.  Make it a day trip!  They could have tea and crumpets midway.  LOL.  

In all seriousness, though, that's the scary thing about satellite related products.  I have no doubt that when one goes up the company who paid for it and/or will be utilizing it chews their nails heartily until it's in place and running.  I can't imagine everything depending on one thing that can have so much go wrong.  Talk about nerve wracking.    
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3545 Posts
  • 2056 Reply Likes
That is for sure. Especially with new technology. Hopefully they found the root cause of the deployment issue so it won't happen again. Was it a design issue that was exploited by the vibration of the launch? Did a meteor get stuck somewhere in it? Did aliens sabotage it? We as consumers will not know, but I am sure Viasat will do everything it can not to make the same mistake twice.

On the bright side, it didnt explode on launch or end up fully dead!
Photo of Langsey

Langsey

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Is Viasat still better than Hughesnet Gen 5 even with the problem with the satellite?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2274 Posts
  • 1134 Reply Likes
It depends on where you live.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3616 Posts
  • 2112 Reply Likes
Location, location, location.

A Viasat-2 high density beam can outperform Hughesnet. The problem is those high density beams are limited in coverage.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 288 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
They are still slowly rolling out the service across the country. I forget the exact numbers but somewhere around 10% of the bandwidth was allocated to the consumer sector. They have taken a few financial hits. The military's plans to those new WGS Satellites has had an effect. While there is an issue with the satellite the base stations have mostly made up for the related deficit. With a number of financial opportunities they were banking on drying up they have to conserve their badwidth for potential new opportunities. The consumer market does not represent a high profit base and from an investor stand point its not a great time for business.