computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Just to clarify one point made in this thread: We don't know what 'migration' offers will look like yet, so it's too early to say that switching from a plan on VS-1 to one on VS-2 will be done free of charge, since it does require all-new equipment. We may also have some pretty nice plans that don't require changing satellites, and those likely would not have a migration charge. We just don't know yet, but we'll let everyone on this forum know all the details as they come available.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Your neighbor is going to be awful jealous in less than a year. He has the same old technology from 2012. Hughesnet's current satellite is just more of the same.
Netflix at 480p? No thanks. Higher speed but basically the same data plan? No thanks.

If you jump yourself over to Hughesnet now, you would be locked into a two year contract. Do you really want to use 2012 internet technology in 2019? That would be like using a flip phone instead of an Android or Apple device today.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 312 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
For years his kid has come here to use our internet for school work.  I pushed him to get Exede but sadly he came into this problem and immediately got out in the first month.  He just got Gen 5 a few months ago and says he has a data cap, but his phone and Netflix dont count against it.  The free Netflix caught my attention only for my plan to cut my TV, but even that is not enough to make me go back to Hughes.  We were on the phone fighting with them almost DAILY.    I will stick it out and wait for Viasat  2.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
If you read the fine print on the Hughesnet plan, your video is capped at 480p. They call that a "data saver", but 480p isn't even classified as HD. That might be okay for tablets, but if you have big HD screens you will notice a difference.

This is 2017 and Hughesnet can't even deliver HD video in their latest and greatest plans. Think about that.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

The idea behind the Video Data Saver was to conserve the users data ... reduce the resolution, reduces the burn rate.

Users can turn that off and stream in HD, its just a rather data intensive activity.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It is data intensive. My point is the latest Hughesnet system isn't robust enough to handle everybody watching HD video because of the data caps they are putting in place.