computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I thought viasat2 was not going to be operational until 2018?
Photo of Larry

Larry

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Question is how much data????????? and price
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Nothing has been announced yet. What beans, the speeds they offer, the infrastructure to support it, etc is all unannounced at this point. As for price, I would look for them to remain competitive with Hughesnet and wireless data plans.

If I had to guess, look for complete plan details around the end of January.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
No one knows what plans will be offered when Viasat 2 comes online next year. I can guess they will be a lot better than any we have now, it's a more advanced satellite, with more capacity and, better speed overall so, we should get better plans.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
oh ok...I thought maybe there was some beta testing going on 
I see now that Freedom 150 is offered in my zip code.....I'm still on the fence about my decision because what if I enter now and in 4 months better bandwidth and pricing if offered on viasat2...then I'm stuck 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Viasat-2 isnt even in final orbit yet for any real hard testing to occur.

I would ask if you can upgrade without penalty to Viasat-2 if you get on Freedom now. If you can, go for it!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
No, you wouldn't be stuck, it's always free to change plans for residential customers so, you could get Freedom now and, if something better is available in 4-5 months, change again then.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Awesome!

Just trying to figure this all out...satellite is all new to me...well ISP satellite is
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Don't hesitate to ask questions, even ones that you might think sound dumb. We were all new to this at one time - Viasat included. :)
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I do have 1 question lingering in my mind....and that is about the lease of equipment

I understand that each person has individual needs to either lease month by month or pay 299.99 up front and no one can determine what is best but the person ordering the service

My concern is that if by paying 299.99 up front in a few months when the new satellite comes on board is if better service (bandwidth and pricing) then I'm told that I have equipment that cannot be upgraded or whatever because I paid upfront. 

Do most of you just lease month to month? 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I definitely wouldn't buy anything, especially right now since you very well might have to replace some of the equipment to get on Viasat-2.

I think most customers lease. I have leased for about six years now. Yes, that has cost me more money but one never knows when you might upgrade equipnent, especially now with new tech right around the corner.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser,
makes sense to me as who knows in 6-12 months what technology will be available and I would hate to be in a "sorry you paid for the lifetime lease on your current equipment"

For me the price breaks higher after 24 months but just like you explained you are not stuck with leasing the current equipment for life of using the service
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Now if you can buy Viasat-2 equipment when it comes out, that would be worth the upfront cost maybe. But I have a feeling being newer technology it will cost more than $300 upfront.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I think monthly leasing is the best option (for me) as as soon as viasat2 is online there will be talk of viasat3 and so on....it will keep evolving and I do not want to prepay for equipment that might be outdated in a year 
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
I don't think you can buy the equipment anymore, only lease.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Viasat-3 is projected to be about 3 years beyond Viasat-2. So that would be late 2020 or 2021.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
FWIW,

Exede Alex has already confirmed that:

"If you do migrate from VS-1 to VS-2, you will need all-new equipment. Originally it was planned that the Wi-Fi modem would be forward compatible, but upgrades to the network made that impossible."

Not really sure he meant "all new equipment" to include tria and dish... we'll find out sooner or later.  

See:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/our-new-satellite-has-spread-its-solar-wings?topic-reply-li...

It will also require an installer visit to re-point and align the dish to ViaSat-2 (obviously installers aren't going to do that for free and it's a question of how and where that cost will be buried).

No other details have been made public about the upgrade process such as whether there will be a cost associated or requiring a new 2 year commitment -  for me there was a cost to upgrade from Wildblue to Exede since there wasn't a free install promotion going at the time and it was in fact "all new equipment" - but that was technically a switch in services not a simple plan switch. There was no new 2 year commitment since no need to recover install costs.

At the same time, there could be other costs unrelated to ViaSat - for example and in my case, moving to ViaSat-2 may require having a couple (or three) trees taken down professionally to provide an unobstructed line of sight with proper clearance on both sides - at a cost of about $500 per tree if it comes to it - these three are well beyond my personal skill set. I'll wait and reassess all of my options once all ViaSat-2 details are known (but I'm hopeful I'll actually clear them with an increased elevation to about 45 degrees on the horizon with the new satellite position).            

(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Where I am the elevation will go from 38 to 52. This will eliminate a lot of line-of-sight issues for me.
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 23 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I would have to relocate my dish, or from what I read above, have a new dish installed. There is a pecan tree in my line of site with ViaSat-2, so unfortunately, has to be a new location. I would already have the correct pole in the ground and it all wired up with the ground hopefully to alleviate the cost if there is any involved.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 349 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes
Mine is going to be at least a 100 foot run to avoid a row of tall pine trees so I was thinking of using LMR-600-75-DB  coax to reduce the loses. I would probably bury this in grey pvc to protect it from moles etc. Right now the dish is on the side of the house with about 15 feet of RG-6 coax but this location will not work with the ViaSat2. 

Are you getting any pecan nuts these days.  Mine stopped producing years ago so I have no problem in cutting them down.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Doesn't appear that LMR-600-75-DB is on the approved materials list...

Try a Google/Bing search on Exede Approved Materials List... but even then your installer would need to approve of any sweat equity.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Exede+Approved+Materials+List

P.S. That same link yields a hit on Installation and Service Call Standards...
(Edited)
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 23 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
To Markgc, every year, non stop. Gotta beat the blue jays though.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3517 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
Maybe *slightly* different Blue Jays Scott but Rougned Odor from the Texas Rangers seems to have a unique way of dispatching them
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Most exciting news Ive heard since the launch!  I was told Freedom would be available everywhere once Viasat 2 is fully operational.  Once I get "reasonable" speeds I will get off this 10 Gig plan.  I dropped down to the minimum just to keep my service.  I go over every month but when my normal speed is nearly the same as restricted why pay for more data?   In their description it "claims" we get 12 Mbps, and restricted is "around" 4 Mbps.  4 or 5 is our "norm" and we are often below 1 Mbps during peak usage hours.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3518 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
Looks like the 30GB plan is the current top plan in that area. We won't have ViaSat 2 plans until probably the end of this year. We might do some pre-release marketing but nothing has officially been released just yet. Since we haven't confirmed yet I can't say one way or another if the 100GB plan is close or not but the goal of ViaSat 2 is to offer more robust plans in the vein of our Freedom plan as a common option.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Just to clarify one point made in this thread: We don't know what 'migration' offers will look like yet, so it's too early to say that switching from a plan on VS-1 to one on VS-2 will be done free of charge, since it does require all-new equipment. We may also have some pretty nice plans that don't require changing satellites, and those likely would not have a migration charge. We just don't know yet, but we'll let everyone on this forum know all the details as they come available.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
I have been following this satellite launch closely.  I live in SE Ohio which I am told is one of, if not the most congested area.  I have received bits and pieces of information from customer service and techs sent out to address my speed problems ... I stopped bothering tech support LONG ago now that I know and understand the overcrowding situation.  I have followed this on the Viasat corporate site, SpaceX site and the Arianespace site.  I am glad I recently joined this forum, but otherwise I have found Exede to be less than informative regarding this issue.  In the beginning customer services answer to everything was to "send a tech out".  The techs were mostly sub contractors with little or no knowledge of what was going on overall.  One even INSISTED I go "unlimited" and sign up for the Freedom plan despite it not being available here.  I cant help but feel Exede could have and should have done more to keep us informed, and now with all this talk about additional charges for new equipment I feel it is an insult to us that have stayed on paying for "12 Mbps" and averaging 4.  Or all the time I have spent during "peak hours" less than 1 Mbps and not able to get things to load with no explanation, compensation, or even an apology.  I am still anxiously awaiting the Viasat 2, but as a loyal customer I cant help but feel that loyalty should account for SOMETHING other than additional charges to finally resolve the issue.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I am on your beam Ron and I can tell you you are 110% correct about the state of the beam we are on. Unfortunately, until Viasat-2 comes online, there is not much hope for us.

When Viasat-2 is up and running, we should see changes. Some capacity should open up on our beam, or hopefully we will have the option to get the new service. Until then, pretty much grin and bear it. Hey. I have had to deal with it for over 4 years. What is another sux months :).
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Ron, I do agree on the keeping us, as customers better informed, or at least making all of the various sites that do contain the information easier for the average customer to locate. The information is there, just not easy to find unless you go chasing all of the sources you mentioned.

As far as loyalty goes, yes that needs attention as well. It isn't that Viasat doesn't appreciate our loyalty, they do but, the front line contact people usually don't know how long we have been customers. My account for example, because I just switched form Business to Residential, looks like a new account when in fact I have been a WildBlue, then Viasat customer since 2004. 

As a result, if I call in to Customer Care, all they see is how long is remaining in my current contract. I look like a total noob to them and, thus I get treated as such. All I can do is be patient and, understand that those fornt line people in the call center have no clue how long I've been a customer, or skip the call center and just email exedelistens@viasat.com then, be patient while my email and, the steps that have been tried gets forwarded and passed to someone that can solve the issue, whatever it might be.

I do get better service that way, slower but, better. Alex, Brad, Matt, MattB, Diana and the others here do remember our names and, do at least recall some of our best, or most irate posts when we email them. :)

By now, I'm sure they all know I'm that crazy "swamp rat" lady that wants this Viasat internet stuff to be right and stay right for everyone, herself included. :P
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
I was previously with the "other" company, they were HORRIBLE!  I still will not return to them unless it is an absolute LAST resort simply due to my previous experience.  My neighbor brags and brags about his speeds with their new system, and Netflix does not count toward his data and I must admit it sounds appealing.  I was extremely pleased with Exede before this congestion issue.  But sadly as times change it is not simply the speed any longer.  Now we have personal devices, and HD TV , a PS3, a Blu Ray player, my home theater system, and even a new wireless printer that are all screaming for a share of our data.  Therefore internet has become a data issue more than speed.  The times and technology have changed and I now hope this issue is addressed as well.  I just want to be a happy satisfied customer again with service that suits my current needs.  We can discuss "future" needs later.  LOL
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
I know what you mean, even when Viasat 1 went online, we didn't have HTML 5 on the internet gobbling data, we didn't have 4K and, the IOT (Internet of things) was just beginning to be felt in the average home. Now all of that is everywhere. For crying out loud, even my refrigerator wants to connect to my router along with my TV, TV reciver, printer, phone, tablet, even my stinking car thinks it need internet. (Most are denied at my house but, it would be nice not to have to deny them updates, connectivity for features etc...

I don't know the details of Viasat 2 plans but, I do know that Viasat wants to make cutting the cord with TV, streaming and, a house full of IOT devices possible for us without it gobbling up all of our precious data for the month. I think we will see a big step toward that with Viasat 2.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Your neighbor is going to be awful jealous in less than a year. He has the same old technology from 2012. Hughesnet's current satellite is just more of the same.
Netflix at 480p? No thanks. Higher speed but basically the same data plan? No thanks.

If you jump yourself over to Hughesnet now, you would be locked into a two year contract. Do you really want to use 2012 internet technology in 2019? That would be like using a flip phone instead of an Android or Apple device today.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 320 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
For years his kid has come here to use our internet for school work.  I pushed him to get Exede but sadly he came into this problem and immediately got out in the first month.  He just got Gen 5 a few months ago and says he has a data cap, but his phone and Netflix dont count against it.  The free Netflix caught my attention only for my plan to cut my TV, but even that is not enough to make me go back to Hughes.  We were on the phone fighting with them almost DAILY.    I will stick it out and wait for Viasat  2.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
If you read the fine print on the Hughesnet plan, your video is capped at 480p. They call that a "data saver", but 480p isn't even classified as HD. That might be okay for tablets, but if you have big HD screens you will notice a difference.

This is 2017 and Hughesnet can't even deliver HD video in their latest and greatest plans. Think about that.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

The idea behind the Video Data Saver was to conserve the users data ... reduce the resolution, reduces the burn rate.

Users can turn that off and stream in HD, its just a rather data intensive activity.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
It is data intensive. My point is the latest Hughesnet system isn't robust enough to handle everybody watching HD video because of the data caps they are putting in place.