computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I thought viasat2 was not going to be operational until 2018?
Photo of Larry

Larry

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Question is how much data????????? and price
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2035 Posts
  • 1084 Reply Likes
Nothing has been announced yet. What beans, the speeds they offer, the infrastructure to support it, etc is all unannounced at this point. As for price, I would look for them to remain competitive with Hughesnet and wireless data plans.

If I had to guess, look for complete plan details around the end of January.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2795 Posts
  • 1125 Reply Likes
No one knows what plans will be offered when Viasat 2 comes online next year. I can guess they will be a lot better than any we have now, it's a more advanced satellite, with more capacity and, better speed overall so, we should get better plans.
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
oh ok...I thought maybe there was some beta testing going on 
I see now that Freedom 150 is offered in my zip code.....I'm still on the fence about my decision because what if I enter now and in 4 months better bandwidth and pricing if offered on viasat2...then I'm stuck 
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 19 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
I would have to relocate my dish, or from what I read above, have a new dish installed. There is a pecan tree in my line of site with ViaSat-2, so unfortunately, has to be a new location. I would already have the correct pole in the ground and it all wired up with the ground hopefully to alleviate the cost if there is any involved.
Photo of Markgc

Markgc, Champion

• 327 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
Mine is going to be at least a 100 foot run to avoid a row of tall pine trees so I was thinking of using LMR-600-75-DB  coax to reduce the loses. I would probably bury this in grey pvc to protect it from moles etc. Right now the dish is on the side of the house with about 15 feet of RG-6 coax but this location will not work with the ViaSat2. 

Are you getting any pecan nuts these days.  Mine stopped producing years ago so I have no problem in cutting them down.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3125 Posts
  • 3076 Reply Likes
Doesn't appear that LMR-600-75-DB is on the approved materials list...

Try a Google/Bing search on Exede Approved Materials List... but even then your installer would need to approve of any sweat equity.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Exede+Approved+Materials+List

P.S. That same link yields a hit on Installation and Service Call Standards...
(Edited)
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 19 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
To Markgc, every year, non stop. Gotta beat the blue jays though.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2784 Posts
  • 895 Reply Likes
Maybe *slightly* different Blue Jays Scott but Rougned Odor from the Texas Rangers seems to have a unique way of dispatching them
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 90 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Most exciting news Ive heard since the launch!  I was told Freedom would be available everywhere once Viasat 2 is fully operational.  Once I get "reasonable" speeds I will get off this 10 Gig plan.  I dropped down to the minimum just to keep my service.  I go over every month but when my normal speed is nearly the same as restricted why pay for more data?   In their description it "claims" we get 12 Mbps, and restricted is "around" 4 Mbps.  4 or 5 is our "norm" and we are often below 1 Mbps during peak usage hours.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2810 Posts
  • 915 Reply Likes
Looks like the 30GB plan is the current top plan in that area. We won't have ViaSat 2 plans until probably the end of this year. We might do some pre-release marketing but nothing has officially been released just yet. Since we haven't confirmed yet I can't say one way or another if the 100GB plan is close or not but the goal of ViaSat 2 is to offer more robust plans in the vein of our Freedom plan as a common option.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 670 Posts
  • 289 Reply Likes
Just to clarify one point made in this thread: We don't know what 'migration' offers will look like yet, so it's too early to say that switching from a plan on VS-1 to one on VS-2 will be done free of charge, since it does require all-new equipment. We may also have some pretty nice plans that don't require changing satellites, and those likely would not have a migration charge. We just don't know yet, but we'll let everyone on this forum know all the details as they come available.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2100 Posts
  • 1112 Reply Likes
Your neighbor is going to be awful jealous in less than a year. He has the same old technology from 2012. Hughesnet's current satellite is just more of the same.
Netflix at 480p? No thanks. Higher speed but basically the same data plan? No thanks.

If you jump yourself over to Hughesnet now, you would be locked into a two year contract. Do you really want to use 2012 internet technology in 2019? That would be like using a flip phone instead of an Android or Apple device today.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 90 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
For years his kid has come here to use our internet for school work.  I pushed him to get Exede but sadly he came into this problem and immediately got out in the first month.  He just got Gen 5 a few months ago and says he has a data cap, but his phone and Netflix dont count against it.  The free Netflix caught my attention only for my plan to cut my TV, but even that is not enough to make me go back to Hughes.  We were on the phone fighting with them almost DAILY.    I will stick it out and wait for Viasat  2.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2100 Posts
  • 1112 Reply Likes
If you read the fine print on the Hughesnet plan, your video is capped at 480p. They call that a "data saver", but 480p isn't even classified as HD. That might be okay for tablets, but if you have big HD screens you will notice a difference.

This is 2017 and Hughesnet can't even deliver HD video in their latest and greatest plans. Think about that.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

The idea behind the Video Data Saver was to conserve the users data ... reduce the resolution, reduces the burn rate.

Users can turn that off and stream in HD, its just a rather data intensive activity.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 2100 Posts
  • 1112 Reply Likes
It is data intensive. My point is the latest Hughesnet system isn't robust enough to handle everybody watching HD video because of the data caps they are putting in place.