viasat 1 customers under attack

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • In Progress
okay, despite a ticket created by viasat listens rep 2 days ago, no one from viasat has an answer they are willing to share as to why my speeds are throttled during eve hours.  I get this double talk about how the data use had been reconfigured and this will result in my slow speeds.  How can a company argue that this is okay when clients are moving over to the new satellite (viasat 2), leaving more vacancies on viasat 1.  After three years of decent evening speed on Freedom plan, NOW as more people move over to new satellite, they refigure speed on viasat 1 and decide to throttle remaining clients, just to make their lives miserable.  Congratulations viasat, you have succeeded in pushing my buttons and turning me from a supporter into a disgruntled client.  Shame on you.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 119 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Yes, I also have an unlimited AT&T account through a MVNO and it only gets 2 bars too, but I have that in a Netgear LB1120 modem connected to a Linksys WRT1900 ACS running ExpressVPN. I get decent speeds on that too.

The $99 8800L that Verizon is selling is on a postpaid plan and will most likely throttle at 15 gb.  I have T1114 on my postpaid plan with shared unlimited data and it throttles to 600kps at 15 gb usage every month. It is useable for browsing but not much else. 

I also have another line on  that  postpaid plan that I have the sim card in a UML290 (I switch it between a tablet and a 6620) and it also throttles at 15 gb. 

I do have a yagi on my T1114 pointed to the nearest tower. I got an extra bar by setting that up. But I did that two years ago when a VZ rep sold me the T1114  as "Home Phone & Internet" promising unlimited data. Then after 3 months they started throttling that at 10 gb. It has since been raised to 15 gb. So beware of the postpaid plan.

I usually get in the -109 to -115 dBm  range on both the ATT & the VZ LTE. They may be sharing the same tower. So the signal is not wonderful. But I am still getting good speed and service. There is an RV park a couple miles closer where I go visit friends and I get 4-5 bars on my phone there. There are quite a few subdivisions in this area of Lake Hartwell, but a pretty large number of them are vacation homes so this is still kinda rural but not farm land. But lots of wild animals show up on my surveillance cameras. Skunks, foxes, deer, opossums, etc.

But I tried the VZ prepaid unlimited plan on BYOD before I invested in an 8800L. I was concerned about the managed plan speeds. We traveled to Columbia, SC on the weekend before last (big city for SC and I expected congested towers) and I was still getting 80's/20's on my MIFI 8800L. I guess it depends where you live and travel.

I contacted my old manager (we are still friends) and he told me that they had switched all their 6620's for the 8800L's and they are seeing the same speeds I am.  They are in Greenville, SC & Spartanburg, SC. They use them for after hours support for  their helpdesk team.
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Quick update - checked speeds again just now - Viasat 628ms, 1.54 down, 0.91 up. VZW 50ms, 8.77 down, 6.82 up.
Photo of Dan Bud

Dan Bud

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Looks like this is all we get in the evenings now............
Photo of PrestonPig

PrestonPig

• 28 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Checked yet again, about 1 hour ago (2130 Central Time) 635ms, 1.87 down, 0.74 up. VZW 40ms, 21.0 down, 1.43 up. Kinda hard to see where I would be going wrong If I switch to Verizon full time again. When I switched to Viasat (then exede) 4 1/2 years ago, it was because the plan (exede 12- 15 GB) was a vast improvement over what I had at the time with Verizon. The 150/25 plan I have had for over two years was a godsend. Now it appears that Viasat has decided it doesn't want me as a customer any longer. Fortunately, I seem to have an alternative.

PP
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Alternatives are good.
Photo of Charles Williams

Charles Williams

• 14 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
hey guys im new here, but have had viasat since it was exede(over 6 years). all last year my speeds were very slow,and almost worthless like 2-5 mbps. but just in the last few months i never get anything over 1.2down and 1up which is worthless. i cant watch netflix or play any games, and surfing the web is so slow. I have the unlimited 25mbps silver plan(which is $110 a month). whenever i chat with an agent the try to get me to change to a small worthless 10gb a month plan or tell me they recently changes policys so they no longer have to hold up their 25mbps speeds which is on my contract. and if I get serious about the conversation or ask what else they can do they kick me out of the chat instantly.i dont have any other options here were i live and even with the 150gb i always run out of data half way thru the month, so a 10gb plan would be useless.im thinking of paying an additional $100 to have a tech come out and see if something is wrong with my hardware, but it sounds like from what you guys are saying, they have just taken more customers then they can handle and give new customers all the bandwith and are crapping on us older loyal customers so we will switch to a smaller plan or even cancel our subscription,is there any hope that i will ever get what im paying for with my silver 25 unlimited plan, or am i just screwed?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Pretty sure they aim to get everyone out of plans not deemed to have an acceptable profitability margin. It’s not going to get better for folks on the old unlimited plans if that’s what you want to know.

Save the hundred bucks for something worthwhile.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I have the same plan, not jumping yet, too close to Viasat 3 and, this may very well be a stop gap measure until VS3 can take some of the commercial and airline load off VS1 and VS2. That will help and, hopefully get us better service again.

It's been good for 14 years for me, not going to give up on it yet. I know Corporate can't tell us the full reasons behind this so, we are left to guess and hope. I'm choosing to be optimistic for now and, call it a stop gap needed to allow for the big commercial contacts that keep Viasat in business and, fund the building and launching of more satellites.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
Suddenly AT&T is offering 18 mbps 1 TB, with the upgrade to unlimited if you add another service like DirecTv or Cell service, home line etc, with a $40 intro price, and then there is the option of the Jetpack and the prepaid unlimited plan, and I have a great signal here on the Verizon network, so man am I ever torn!

They've just passed a law expanding Broadband to rural areas in Mississippi, today!

But, I'm in restriction mode because I'm out of priority data on my Liberty 12 - 25 boost mbps w/ free zone, it's 5:30 on a Wednesday, I'm on Satellite 1, and this is my speed right now.

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
While I think Bev has no other options available, and I admire a positive spirit, the same things were said prior to ViaSat 2 going live. Now that’s it’s been in service a year, lots of people have slower service than ever. My service was faster years before ViaSat 2 went live.
Photo of privatejordy

privatejordy

• 163 Posts
  • 58 Reply Likes
I almost feel guilty.  I am out of data and I'm streaming Netflix as we speak, and it's 5:36 Central Time!
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2386 Posts
  • 464 Reply Likes
privatejordy,  Thanks for sharing your experience. It is appreciated.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Bev, Viasat 3 is being touted as giving everybody the ability to stream 4K video including people in the city. How do you think that's gonna pan out?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1992 Posts
  • 1213 Reply Likes
4K?  Are you kidding me?  Did they not learn?  
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
I think they just meant everyone could stream, k. Autocorrect thought that meant 4K.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 290 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
'Everyone could stream'. BAAHAHAHAHAAA!!!  Where have I heard that before?
Photo of Kay Doggett

Kay Doggett

• 66 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Yep, usually -109 to -114 dBm  of LTE (2-3 bars) and still get 30-50+ mbps down and 15-20+ mbps up. It has been a really pleasant surprise. Prepaid unlimited jetpack plan only- they limit your video streaming at 1080P. $65 per month with the $5 discount for autopay. Postpaid plans hard throttle at 3g speeds, 600 kbps, after 15 gb of mobile hotspot or jetpack. In fact they start sending me warnings on my phone when they hit 75%. This prepaid unlimited jetpack plan is definitely worth it to me.

I plan to cancel two of my aircard lines once they are out of contract in two more payments. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Kay..Prepaid unlimited jetpack..limit your video streaming at 1080P

VZW - 720p rock solid on Vimeo, but 1020p with buffer jerking...your streaming service may optimize 1080p better.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
VIASAT needs to be put out of business, they are nothing but a fraud, lying sack of crap business. They are carpet bombing my local TV with ads and their signs are all over the roadside, yet my area is way over sold and their service sucks here.in central Virginia.
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 288 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
Central VA service has sucked for years with a couple of moments of decent speeds. Companies have no motivation nor desire to support rural. We are and have been for years, an overloaded area (Beam 329) but I also see those signs all over the place. I do have a recommendation for Viasat and the 'tag line' on their emails. The one I received said 'High Speed'. Viasat, even you have to laugh at that for Beam 329. Maybe change it to 'Internet Access'. 
Photo of Matt Brown

Matt Brown

• 17 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
That wouldn't be accurate. It should be "Slow occasional internet access."
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Maybe change it to 'Internet Access'.

I didn't even have that, mine would drop up to a dozen times a day sometimes being out for hours. That happened even when it wasn't, raining, snowing or had wind blowing. It was never good for any length of time for the whole 7+ years I had it. Every complaint was met with trying to up sell me an easy care plan even after a 3 tech visits and numerous calls for support failed to improve service. If VIASAT really cared about customer satisfaction and they obviously don't they would let people who have constant poor service out of their contracts without penalty or  give them credit on their bills. They also would not change a service agreement in their favor. I do not see why a class action suit hasn't been filed. Contrary to popular belief not all fine print is legally enforceable. Every time I see a VIASAT TV ad bad mouthing cell service and DSL and calling themselves super fast I want to kick the TV set. They continue aggressive selling tactics in an area that has notorious poor service.

I would like a VIASAT employee to explain that away.

(Edited)
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 119 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
You eloquently present a truthful picture of internet service with viasat.  I'm with you, me too,,etc.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.