Problem with usage meter

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: exhausted thread

Something is seriously wrong with the usage meter. The past two or three months I have been over charged for services. Today tho takes the cake. I contacted wildblue yesterday because my usage meter was showing 2.4 gigs were used already. On my 4th day of billing cycle. TODAY it's showing I've used over 4 gigs. This cannot be true as I have been extra conscious about my usage yet double amount is showing used. THIS IS ONLY DAY 5 OF MY BILLING CYCLE. Please figure out what's going on and correct my billed usage. I paid $30 more last month based on your meter. I Will NOT do it again this month.
Photo of Katherine Dana

Katherine Dana

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Exede Lizz

Exede Lizz

• 83 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Katherine,

I can understand your concerns about usage. What are you currently using services for? Do you use any back up services or data devices? Watch movies, or even download any music?
Photo of Katherine Dana

Katherine Dana

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I generally use it for email, texting, shopping and playing games. I always wait for the free time late night to even download games and/or updates. I don't download music or movies. Once in a while I may download a ringtone or wallpaper but even try to wait for late night free time to do that. I don't watch videos or utube. So, what could be burning through my allotted monthly gb so fast?
Photo of Katherine Dana

Katherine Dana

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Still waiting
Photo of Nadine Hodges-Taylor

Nadine Hodges-Taylor

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same thing happened to me. I signed up and was over my limit 4 days later. I was very careful and would turn off my computer when not using it to be sure I didn't use too much. I'm not sure what the problem is.
Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Nadine, we would like to help you. Please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your phone number and best contact time for further assistance. Thank you.
Photo of Andrea J Cecur

Andrea J Cecur

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I don't know how long you've had this service but it is the rule rather than the exception that the usage metering is bogus. Get used to it.
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi, Andrea, our usage meter is accurate. Its possible you have had some questions in the past about your usage, which we now have new tools available to us to help better explain the usage the meter reflects.  If you have any questions or concerns please email me at exedelistens@viasat.com, and I will be happy to help.  Thanks!  
Photo of Andrea J Cecur

Andrea J Cecur

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
There's no way on earth my usage can go from aroung 50% to the limit overnight like it did a few months ago. The tech I spoke with was convinced there was someone sitting outside my house hacking into my wi-fi. The only explanation she could come up with. Ridiculous.
Photo of Exede Josh

Exede Josh

• 235 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Andrea, again, I can assure you the meter is accurate.  If you would like to email me your telephone number and the best time to call, I will be happy to research your usage issue with you.  Thanks!
Photo of steve

steve

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
this is happeing to me to we have been extremely careful what we do on the internet and now we r using 1 gig a day and we r not online as much anymore but I called and he keeps saying watch what we do on line .like we heard that for 4 months said if we use facebook a lot that's what is using 1 gig a day ,,,, ther is no way we r. I think its a san and there trying ti get us to buy more gig its a rip off big time,,,,,,
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Steve,

then test it.  Keep everyone in your household off facebook for four or five days.  Has your data consumption dropped with those days off? Yes?  Then you know, yes, the issue is facebook.  If you or your family CAN'T stay off facebook for four or five days, then I guarantee you, it's facebook.  
Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Starring Matter, I've possibly even more experience making you look stupid than anyone else; Facebook supposedly drain 4.6gb the first 4 days of the cycle; now I know you're a corporate jockey with at least a minimal level of intelligence so here's the deal, friend - I will have the Starship Enterprise drop a Warpcore from space onto Exede Internet's Headquarters - James Kirk didn't ever follow the Primary Directives so closely as Captain Janeway of the Voyager.

I have friends in those kinds of places, whereas all you have is a dictionary, soda stains, and a couple reuseable socks with a coffee tankard long since overused. Now stop pretending you're greater than the common blue collar folk here; you're only insulting yourself.

Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Exede Josh (as in, you're joshing me) is your tongue numb, or is it forked? Either way, get off the forum please; you're giving me a headache.
Photo of Chris Milton

Chris Milton

• 21 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
We have the same issue at our home. We are blowing through our monthly allotment in no time and we barely even use the service. I got an email from Zac saying that I used up all my data with media even though we never stream movies or radio in our home. He also told me he would send me another response email shortly, and that was two days ago.
Photo of Katherine Dana

Katherine Dana

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
At least he got back with you. I'm still waiting two weeks later
Photo of steve

steve

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
same thing happen to us!!!
Photo of Exede Zac

Exede Zac

• 183 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Chris, I have been out the office for two days. I am back and I did email you back earlier today. Can you please reference back to my emails for support? Thanks.
Photo of steve

steve

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

we have heard that before

Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
It seems you and your vessels of evils, (cohorts, fellow thugs?) Are always out of the Office - If you were out of the office that much, you might be on Welfare.
Photo of Joyce Hodge Hurst

Joyce Hodge Hurst

• 4 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Your not alone...............EXCEED SUCKS
Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Ok, so more research done;

Cookies, Malware, that jazz along with BS advertisements on your pages. Feel free to block advertisements and routinely check your PC for those evil cookies, turn off auto updates etc.

That should help, it did for me.
Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Been several months, and hell no - I was gone from my house, breaker shutdown etc, day I flipped the switch on, 15gb gone in an Exede Hub Update.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
This kind of data usage can be confusing at times. /: If you shut everything off inside your home and then turn it all back on, whatever data updates etc needed to be performed during the time it was off will automatically be sent to your modem. This is where the usage came from after you flipped the switch.
Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Some of us understand this, but why are we being charged for this? I'm willing to pay the charge for my service, but updates from the hub to correct known and unknown issues should be swallowed by the company I believe. After all, I'm paying $130.00 for 25GB which is $5.20 per Gigabyte, then factor in 7GB are used in Hub updates, and you're now paying $7.22 for 1 GB equalling $130.00

It makes no sense :(
Photo of Jackson

Jackson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi guys I have been doing some research on trying to find the best internet... I currently have a Verizon 4g mifi with 10gb data cap and it works OK for the most part. The data cap is killing me... So I'm considering switching to excede basically for the late night free zone... Every review I read seems to be negative. Mostly for using too much data... I get that. No cable here. So how does excede compare to Verizon's 4g service with no late night free zone???
Photo of Jackson

Jackson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Data is capped with everything that I have available. And the late night free zone seems like
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3205 Posts
  • 2065 Reply Likes
There are over 600,000 satisfied Exede customers.  There are a only a couple dozen who are complaining on the forums about how terrible the data caps are.  Like any reviews you read online, those that are happy with the product just don't make any comments on these forums.  Most who complaint about how Exede does not accurately measure data usage do not understand that many websites have loads of advertisements and flash content, which use large amounts of data.  There are a few who have equipment problems and bad installations that consume data unnecessarily, those can be corrected with a service call from a competent service person.  Also, with the higher speeds that Exede provides to its customers, more data is used  than on 4G connections because the website checks the connection speed and then adjusts upward the resolution of data sent out, thus much more data is consumed.  You can however, using settings on your computer, and some websites, lower the resolution of data sent to reduce data consumption.
Photo of William

William

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
The Said "Late Night Free Zone" is pretty much the Only reason I upgraded From Wild Blue to Excede. And I have to say I am pretty Impressed. 
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Jackson, if you have any questions about the service, contract, usage, etc. feel free to ask. (:
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Also, thank you Steve and William for your input. You both are always so helpful to alot of customers on here and we really appreciate the support. (: If you send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your contact info, we would like to send you guys a little something as a thank you.
Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Oh really? So shooting down customers is a wonderful practice? Alright!!
(Edited)
Photo of William

William

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
OK, before we all start yelling at Via sat for the data being used up lets go over a check list here.

1. Do you have a router that is hooked up and is WiFi Compatible? 

2. Do you have a Password set up on it to where no outside visitors can just walk right up to your house and hook up to it? and If so, Did anyone give out that password?

3. is you computer Updating during the day (Like downloading updates that take up a lot of data)?

4. Do you have any Viruses on your computer that are making your computer download spyware? 

The reason I typed the above checklist= I was talking to the technician that was installing my dish and modem and he pretty much had so many service calls that had something to do with the above. Figured I would share this with everyone here.
Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
You need to slap yourself William. Had fun reading what I've done since I pulled apart my windows 95.
Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I betcha u two are company members trying to downominalize the crowd - most do not complain but feel the pain many are going through.

I happen to be stating the truth as I see it.
Photo of William

William

• 8 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
If I could get cable out here where I live, I would do it in a heart beat. I would happily rip the dish off my roof and take it out to the shooting range and do target practice with it, unfortunately I am stuck in the same boat with all of you here. so, that said, I am at least being civil and try to make the most of it. 
Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
My apologies, the truth is that I don't care about being civil; you'd understand, but you're not me are you? You've opinionated on lash outs by people, and my bantering against Exede.

Who is being civil, and who is being cloak and dagger? Silly William, words are for the awesome.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Blooming - You should check out the other forum here. They need a good laugh over there too.
Photo of LumiBlossom .

LumiBlossom .

• 49 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
They do? Let me delegate slave; go make the other forum laugh. :)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.