VERY slow speeds in the evenings.

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
Often less than 2mb/sec, which almost makes Exede unusable. Began about 2-3 months ago. Was there a satellite change? Is my radio and/or modem going bad? Have you added too many customers on the satellite?
Photo of Chris Wheatley

Chris Wheatley

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • frustrated.

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Are you on a 150GB priority data plan?

If so, there is your answer!

Your solution? Change plans or drop Viasat.
Photo of Chris Wheatley

Chris Wheatley

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes.  Guess I need to look at changing plans, or switching to HughesNet.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Switch plans, switch to prepaid wireless unlimited, or switch to Hughesnet. I am looking at the 2nd two options.
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 112 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.  A lot of people have left Hughesnet and come to Viasat for the same reason.  Your not going to get dedicated bandwidth on any Satellite Internet service unless you want to go the Enterprise route and pay through the nose.  And I mean about 1K a month.

This is a shared bandwidth system and speeds are not promised.  At night during prime time everyone is using their system and like the pipes in your house only so much 'water' can go through them at one time.  If your getting 1mb to 2mb during prime time believe it or not you are very luckyThat is more than enough for youtube and standard definition video so the system is hardly almost unusable.  A lot of people are lucky to get 250 kb/sec during prime time on a crowded beam.

It is what it is.  The only other option is to move back to town where you can get on a fiber or cable link if you need high speed 24/7 as it's not going to be any better on Hughesnet and I've had both.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I have had both too. Both are about the same. I just like to share the wealth :).
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Hfcomms... so much 'water' can go through them at one time.

When taking a shower, its either called "fire in the hole" when cold water demand increases,  or its a cold shower when hot water demand increases.