Very slow speeds

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I have been a customer since December and have the 25 mbps plan. I'm consistently see speeds of .3-1.5 mbps. Multiple cals to customer service has been frustratingly unhelpful. Anyone else having the same issues?
Photo of Rich

Rich

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Troy Carter

Troy Carter

• 18 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Welcome to Viasat, my friend!!!
Photo of Shannon Williams

Shannon Williams

• 39 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
unlimited bronze 12 plan myself sucks  2 am tll 10am  am good 11pm till 1am dial up service basically 0.2 0.3 0.25 and sometimes  1.0 if am lucky shannon williams  at 90 dollars a month disappointmented seriously too much for slow speeds yes i am on all day yes i stay in the country but am on all day cause am bored in county and handicapped no data caps yeah right  and am on unlimited thats not capped too much money for dialup  effect 7 -9 hours  of slow speeds  o n a satellite that i heard satellite internet was faster than brand broad i dont see it speed needs improvements  for 90 dollars a month on dialup like speeds 6 to 7 hours  monthly 
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Rich,

Now that you have found this place, the proper procedure to report a problem like that is to send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com describing your problem and include your account number and contact information. You will receive a confirmation email back in minutes acknowledging your email and a proper reply will arrive usually with 24 hours.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3250 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
It is hard to define what is oversold. Like you say during the day it isn't. During evenings, weekends, holidays it gets hit with heavy use.

I think your answer is what they have done with the "unlimited" plans. Initially they all offered 150GB of priority data. Now, even the Gold plan only offers 100GB's of priority data. They significantly cut the priority data levels I believe because they found speeds were being adversely impacted for all. Now, with less priority data for new plan owners, they will experience slowdowns quicker, saving faster speeds for those within limits.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2137 Posts
  • 1058 Reply Likes
It's amazing what you can do with just 3 mbps.

Today I changed phone service to Cricket Wireless. I'm getting four lines of unlimited service (22 gb before throttle) for just $100 a month.

It runs on the AT&T network. The only catch is they limit speeds to 3 mbps. Guess what? 3 mbps works just fine and there is no buffering when I load a video.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Great! Your phone gets 3Mbps. He gets less on a system designed to be the primary internet service for a household. It’s amazing what you can’t do with speeds that don’t hit 2Mbps.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Silver 25 is just amazing now! Priority data speeds that put slow (5-10Mbps) DSL speeds to shame.

I was going to stream a movie in high resolution 480p tonight, but decided after constant buffering to just take some speed readings to help consumers make informed decisions.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3250 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
I was getting extremely slow speeds tonight too. Netflix at 280p...when it didn't pause.

What exactly is Viasat-2 doing??? I haven't seen any impact from it.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
Something has changed for the worse. The last two evenings that I tried to stream movies, I just gave up. Had no problem months ago. Seems counterintuitive.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Yup... sump'tin fishy going on tonite @8:50.  Speed is way down.  Last night was about 19Mb, tonite 1.7Mb so maybe it's the depleted ozone or global warming doing this.

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 450 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Agreed! Barely usable for browsing or even email!
Photo of Rick Smith

Rick Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just did a speedtest and the result was 0.09 mbps. It's usually around 0.60 mbps during this time which is still terrible. Something ain't right
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 293 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
MIdnight, 7.7 Mbps down, 2.9 Mbps Fast.com, streaming youtube, no buffering.

7.7 on the 25 silver is nothing to write home about however, everything is working.

I'm using Chrome.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Rick Smith,

Say what???  You've been getting 0.6 Mb speeds???  That's just too low.  There is something else going on causing that.  Here comes the standard remedy, you've probably seen it a hundred times, but it works...
Send an email to viasatlistens@viasat.com describing your problem and include your account number and contact information. You will receive a confirmation email back in minutes acknowledging your email and a proper reply will arrive usually with 24 hours.
Photo of Rick Smith

Rick Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nah, it's congestion. That's usually where my prime time speeds are. Through the day I get anywhere between 10-15 Mb
Photo of Rick Smith

Rick Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nah, it's congestion. That's usually where my prime time speeds are. Through the day I get anywhere between 10-15 Mb
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Well, okay, if you are alright with that.  The email thing though...  it really does work miracles.  Just remember that if things really go south for you.

Photo of Rick Smith

Rick Smith

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm not alright with it. I just didn't think anything could be done if congestion is the issue. Maybe I'll try
Photo of TheCatWillStrike

TheCatWillStrike

• 82 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
I stay up late. 3:45AM and am pulling 5.3Mbps DLand 2.3Mbps UL according to testmy.net and 6.07Mbps DL and .52Mbps UL according to speedtest.net.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3250 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
Unless there is an isolated problem for a user, emailing Viasat is going to do no good as the vast majority of the time it is primetime congestion. Heck, they have beams that have maxed out at 100% for months during Primetime. And that was before all these "unlimited" accounts came online.

Until there is some relief from Viasat-2 (well...were waiting) don't look for anything to change on select beams during times of heavy usage.

TheCatWillStrike

• 82 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
They're essentially ruining their service with these unlimited plans is what they are doing. I think speeds were better when people had the option of 10, 15, and 25. And then the Free Zone. The Evolution Plan was fine. Freedom Plan was fine as well in select areas but these unlimited plans should have been held out until viasat 3. They're ruining it. I hope they admit it soon. I can't even watch a youtube video anymore this time of night anymore. It just won't load. Except in 240p. Pure crap garbage quality. And my plan reset today.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
I had faster speeds on average with Liberty 10 without speedboost.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2137 Posts
  • 1058 Reply Likes
2.2 mbps for me tonight on Liberty 12.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3250 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes

298 kbps tonight for me on one of the worst beams there is!

Still have priority data left.  Downloading a 171MB file.  Says it is going to take 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Joy!!!

TheCatWillStrike

• 82 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
You see what happened here. We begged, and begged, and pleaded, and they listened and gave unlimited and now we're paying the price of congestion.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3250 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes

Well they were suppose to have added capacity to handle the load.  Has anybody seen Viasat-2 installs?  Right now they are as rare as seeing bigfoot!

(Edited)
Photo of James Chambers

James Chambers

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I was getting 18's and 3-4 up. Then back in the freeze it kept going in and out, so a tech came out. 5 days late after I waited 2 days with no call and no show. I think he screwed the dish up. The CSR's are told to tell everyone it is congestion. Which I could see dropping down some but overnight 18 to 1.5 if I get on at 3 in the morning? 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 351 Reply Likes
I know ground terminals not being ready is the reason being given, but dang, didn’t we know for years that ViaSat 2 was going into orbit? Somebody with some power should really examine the strategic plan the team had in place for deployment. The fast that plans are still sold on ViaSat 1 make me want to physically vomit.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3250 Posts
  • 1865 Reply Likes
It could be a number of factors: ground infrastructure, satellite problems, lack of trained installers, equipment availability, etc.

Regardless, this roll out certainly hasn't made a slash like Viasat-1 did. So far, we have limited availability, high priced plans, and new plans that offer significantly less priority data than they did six months ago.