Very Erratic speed, Downloads nearly impossible.

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • In Progress
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

My speed is VERY erratic. Downloads are nearly impossible. For the last month or so Every Day I have sufficient speed to not even think about it. Then ten minutes later I will try to reload a page like the huffington post and either the pictures will not load or the page will time out. There is no rhyme or reason to when the erratic speeds happen or on what page. Last night around 21:00 EDT I attempted to download a kindle book from Amazon. The page first timed out, then on the second attempt I started off with a download speed of 1400 Kbps and literally watched is drop lower and lower until my download speed was 52 Kbps. I stopped the download and waited until the "free zone" and tried again this time my speed Began at 268 Kbps the dropped to around 128 Kbps and stayed there until the book was down loaded. What the Hell is going on? I have the premium package (25 GBs) and as of an hour ago I had only used 27% of the allowance for the month. (p.s.: that is not normal for us. It has been rainy and apparently the kids were using Netflix ALOT.) finally, I am moving to another state and I am looking at many houses. I cannot begin to tell how frustrating it is to fly through the first 6 pages in ten minutes then be unable to load page 7, wait five minutes and then literally spen an hour waiting as pages 8-10 load Very, Very slowly! If you are dropping my priority I need to know because I will gladly file my BBB complaint and let you screw someone else. Not being nasty, just honest. Thank you in advance for your candid reply.

Guess what!? I had not had an issue for about an hour or so until I hit "next" to come to this page and it took 72 seconds to load! This is exactly why I am about to leave you!!!
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Have the mods here check to see if your dish is alligned properly. If it is, you likely have a router or malware issue. Directly connect your modem to your computer ...all better? Router issue. Do you have the same issue on multiple devices? No? Malware issue.
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I checked the alignment. Everything within Viastat suggestion. Double checked with independent alignment calculator everything within less than 1/2 degree. Clear line of sight at Azimuth setting. I will double check with mods. To me it almost seems like the satellite equivalent of the "scattering effect" (not static) with shortwave radios. That is why I started with checking the alignment.

Yes. Problem on all devices. Mac laptop, iPads and Android devices. (Wi-fi). I will do a direct plug in with the laptop and let you know. p.s.: the router is less than six months old and is a four antennae high end recommended highly by a number of different tech blogs for use with Viasat. It also makes no difference how close or how far you stand from the router in regard to this fluctuating speed issue.

As for the modem; let's hope that is not the issue. I let the installer "upgrade" to the "top of the line" tower modem for an extra $50. On a similar note, we were unable to watch a Netflix movie a couple of weeks ago and called customer service. She gave the modem an all clear at that time. Two hours later, no problem. Same movie - and we had not "adjusted" anything on our end.

Thanks for your help.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Please elaborate on what you mean by a "top of the line tower modem." I am a dealer and installer and have never heard of such a thing. 
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
He stated that exede provided something to the effect of "a piece of junk". He then said "but for another $50 he had the same new tower modem that all the cable companies were using". Honestly, it felt like he was selling me a stereo out of the trunk of his car but I was rangling a two year old and a six year old at the time and just couldn't dig very deep in to it. When I later saw that it was a Viasat surfbeam 2 I meant to call in and ask if he had fleeced me but forgot and time just went by.
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Oh yeah, one more red flag for me was that the $50 went to him in check or cash and not to Exede.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
He needs to be reported. You would be doing future customers and ViaSat a favor by doing so. If he did this to you there is no telling what else he may have done. I would ask for a QC of his installation and a redo if necessary.
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I've found that speed isn't everything. Testing from different cities will give different results. However, the most problem is with packet loss...followed by latency and jitter. It's like going 100 miles an hour in a headwind with a box car.
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Do I need to know his name to report him? All I know is that he said he lived in the "Lake Anna" area (Spotsylvania county, Va. side), he was newly down from New York. He still had a heavy Yankee accent. I was told by Exede customer service that at that time they only had one installer in my area and that it would take five to seven days to get installation.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Jason, call up customer service, they most certainly must have the ability to file an official complaint about your installer.  Even if they can't tell you exactly who it was, the people who schedule and certify installers certainly will be able to pull that information, and take whatever steps are necessary to make good for you.  
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Great, thank you. I will post what they say.
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
O.k. So as not to leave anyone in suspense overnight . . . I kept going back to what I called "scattering" above. As if I was only catching part of my signal. I.e. Alignment. Then I thought not everywhere can have the Exact Same declination. So I went old school. I pulled out an old USGS map of the area and literally measured quater of degrees declination. I found that my Exact declination (and thus azimuth reading v. Viasat and the online calculator were different. Because my internet was useless anyway I really had nothing to lose. Two pieces of string, two tiny fishing weights and a high quality sighting compass later. The best speed I have had since installation. Three hours later and no problems yet. Time will tell if it was truly me or Exede (after reading the complaint) that actually fixed the problem but if it was me I hope someone in the tech department is asked to explain exactly why the company needs the expensive, beeping and pinging toys they are currently using to set up alignments! I would love to see the savings passed back to the consumers.
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Internet still great. Test video downloads at 0230 gave me hovering at around 1182 Kbps and 934 Kbps.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
It is nearly impossible to do a proper Ka dish alignment by mechanical measurement.  You were very lucky if it worked for you.  Wonder what you recorded for your modem's Rx SNR before and after your alignment procedure?
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I didn't record anything. Is there a way to go back and check for you?

I also used my Sunnto watch as a double check. It has both declination calculation built into its compass and a real time GPS location (within a meter to a few meters). And remember this was not a "from scratch" set-up. The exede tech already had me within about 1.25 degrees. I ended up at approximately 226.25 instead of 225.00. The real trick was fitting between the mounting pole and the back string of the two strings I had hanging from the dish arm and still having room to align the sight line on the manual compass.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
You can see your modem stats at 192.168.100.1
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Can not get the "before" measurement now, but you can always check your current modem status by opening your browser and going to http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus The Rx SNR is kind of a "feel good" measurement.   It varies with where you are in your spot beam, weather and of course dish alignment.  It doesn't tell the whole story because your transmit beam is more narrow, so you can have a reasonable Rx SNR on receive, but be further down the main lobe on your transmit beam.  I am surprised that your original install would have been 1.25° off.  That's a lot.  But if you are up and running with improved performance, it's hard to argue with success. :-)
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Okay, so this is what I have found: around 0800 I had a fluctuating rate of 6db - 9db. At 0915 it was fluctuating between 3db - 5db. As I write this it is fluctuating between -0.2db and 0.6db. My moderately heavy photo page (Huffington Post) loading is not great but it is o.k.. I downloaded a 5mb video about ten minutes ago and watched the download speed drop from 687 Kbps at start to 127 Kbps at end.

This digitally looks exactly like what I was trying to describe in the original post.

A last check just showed fluctuating between 1db and 2db. I cannot imagine what it was before with this being better. But the dish is so sensitive I hate to fiddle with again. Although, from past experience I can tell you that I can go check the mail and come back and it could be back up to 7db or 8db. Like I said no rhyme or reason as far as usage or activity on my end. At least to my untrained mind. :-)

Why am I getting
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
For what is worth: Rx power stable at -55.3 - -55.7; Cable resistance is 0.50hm and unchanging; cable attenuation is 18.8db and steady.
Photo of Jason Wollitz

Jason Wollitz

• 12 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Alright let's talk flexing. I went to the dish and started very gently flexing the dish.

Elevation: I drop to - 3.0db and lose signal at equal distance up and down. So, I think that rules out elevation.

Rotation: it's at 53.5 degrees and I have it bolted too tight to test.

Azimuth: When I say gently, I mean very, very gently. I gently flexed ESE and immediately dropped to -3.0db and lost signal. I gently flexed SW and picked up 1.2db above what was running. I let got and kept the increase. I gently flexed a little more SSW and immediately hit -3.0 and lost signal. Right now I am back up to about 2.9 db.
Photo of ExedeEmerald

ExedeEmerald

• 204 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Hi Jason I do understand your frustration with the slow speeds. It is something I definitely want to take a look into and get this straightened out for you. Please send us and email at exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information and I will be more then happy to get those speed issues looked into for you. 
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Jason - Theoretically, if you apply light pressure to the edges of the dish, all directions should cause a drop in signal levels if your dish is properly aligned.  An increase from pressure definitely indicates an alignment tweak is needed.   Unfortunately the Modem Rx SNR is not the best indicator for fine adjustments in real time because it tends to fluctuate on its own somewhat even under good conditions.  Your Rx SNR seems to be fluctuating a lot, unless you are looking at it on a rainy day. Your cable attenuation sounds way too high, like the wrong type of cable, excessive cable length, faulty connectors or ground block is causing a problem.  I think your Rx Power is unusually low also,  Hopefully the folks at Exede will be able look at your stats time history and get you squared away. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.