VERY Disappointed in Exede as a long time customer

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I'm wondering just how common this is that other people have NO way to reach the dish on the top of their house, and are hit with a charge of $95 for a service feel to have someone come remove the receiver. If not this charge, then it's $150 fee for pieces not able to be returned becuase I have NO way at all of getting to the dish to be able to remove the part myself to send back. I've been a customer with them for almost 6 years, and now that I can finally get different internet service that is faster and no data cap, I'm having to pay at least $100 because I can't get that one small piece!  I asked what it would be if I sent back the modem and not the receiver, and was told it would still be $150 charged to me!!!
Photo of Heather Salrin

Heather Salrin

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • FRUSTRATED

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 290 Posts
  • 95 Reply Likes
When I left Hughesnet 6 yrs ago it was $350 if the equipment wasn't returned.  I paid a 'fix it' person $75 to get it for me. If I was lucky enough to leave now I would have my fix it guy do the same. Or my neighbor.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Exactly. If you can't do it yourself find a friend or neighbor who can.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1218 Posts
  • 756 Reply Likes
There are ways to do it cheaper than $95.. Just need a ladder.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
It is just a ploy to suck more money out of the customers, my equipment was 8 years old and they still wanted it back, even though on my last tech visit he told me my equipment was obsolete.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1048 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
I dont disagree, but I think it has something to do with this stupid leasing business. That in itself is another ploy to make money.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
When I ended service I went round and round about why they wanted the tria back.
The women on the other end lied and said they are reused as is. When I asked what kind of business are they if they were going to reuse a device that was exposed to East coast weather for 8 years for a new install, I got radio silence. The only purpose was to hope they could pocket another $300 if I didn't return it. Even if the items could be rebuilt there is no way the value was more than minimal.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1048 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
Yea. They definitely dont reuse the trias.

At times they have offered purchase options. If you do the math it is cheaper to buy even if you only gave it a couple years. If you buy it I dont believe you have to return it
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Wonder what the current Hughesnet policy is on returning equipment? I see a lot of their dishes no longer in use in my area that still have the trias attached. A lot of these dishes are on the ground in areas that now have cable. Obviously they didn't want the trias back as they were easy to remove.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2018 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
It's the same as ViaSat's.  The radio, the modem and the power pack for the modem must be returned, lest you get charged for it.  With that said, however, I believe those who have certain older legacy systems are told to not bother, but I can't be sure of that.  I have seen some subscribers being told on the support community that they didn't need to return their leased equipment.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 299 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
The TRIAs & modems positively DO get reused.

They go back and get remanufactured and tested before sent back out.

Towards the end of life for the WildBlue product line they no longer wanted those parts returned.

Tip the person installing your new system to hop up there & remove the part, it is easy
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1048 Posts
  • 635 Reply Likes
That is different than reused. They are getting refurbished.

That being said, I wouldn't want a tria that had been used for 3 or 4 years.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I've had the same tria since I upgraded from Wildblue to Exede. Expecting it to crap out at any time now.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
The last tech told me my dish was obsolete and he couldn't even get parts for it, pretty sure my returned tria went in the scrap bin. Even if they did refurbish them they aren't worth $150 as a rebuild able core. It is nothing but a ploy to make money.
I own plenty of ladders, but no longer enjoy going up on roofs.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3132 Posts
  • 2017 Reply Likes
Your tech is pumping you full of something. I don't understand how you could have an obsolete dish. I, like many Viasat subscribers, still have my original dish and tria that was installed in April 2012. My dish even has the original Wildblue logo, but works just fine.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
"Your tech is pumping you full of something."

I am a good machinist, mechanic and electrician, but for some reason I struggle with understanding home electronics, and circuit boards. For that fact I have to trust what the so called experts tell me regarding those items.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 299 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Steve, not to disagree with you, in Will's defense - there have been a few different designs of EXEDE dish assemblies over the years.

A couple of the earlier models will only accept the original EXEDE TRIA
Later models of dish assemblies can work with any generation EXEDE & Viasat2 TRIAs.

The first gen TRIA is special order now - perhaps that is why Will's tech claimed his dish was obsolete, he no longer stocks one.
Viasat apparently prefers the newer gen eTRIA to replace a failed older gen TRIA

There could be any number of reasons why Viasat would insist their gear returned.
-Tax reasons perhaps.
-They want to minimize ebay type selling of used parts that may be defective, further bruising their brand like what occurs with worn out Hughes parts flooding market.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 299 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Steve, not to disagree with you, in Will's defense - there have been a few different designs of EXEDE dish assemblies over the years.

A couple of the earlier models will only accept the original EXEDE TRIA
Later models of dish assemblies can work with any generation EXEDE & Viasat2 TRIAs.

The first gen TRIA is special order now - perhaps that is why Will's tech claimed his dish was obsolete, he no longer stocks one.
Viasat apparently prefers the newer gen eTRIA to replace a failed older gen TRIA

There could be any number of reasons why Viasat would insist their gear returned.
-Tax reasons perhaps.
-They want to minimize ebay type selling of used parts that may be defective, further bruising their brand like what occurs with worn out Hughes parts flooding market.
Photo of Bill Thompson

Bill Thompson

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
What is wrong with you physically?  Because I'm a paraplegic, have been since birth, but I was able to hand walk up a ladder to reposition my dish when it was on a roof.  Well that is or was my directv dish though, so much easier to get signal alingment.  And how about paying a neighbor kid $20 to retrieve whatever part your talking about?
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
The way my dish was positioned there was no way to work on it from a ladder, you had to walk on the roof. There are plenty of people that should not be walking on a roof with a steep pitch. With my fused spine and weak legs I am one of them. I have bad knees so I don't want to be crawling on them either. I got a friend to get mine, but many might not have that option. As for neighbor kids, there probably isn't a kid within a mile of me.
(Edited)