Verizon Prepaid Unlimited Data Plan info

• Idea
  • Updated 7 months ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Solicitation

This plan is ending!  Anyone "on the  fence" about this plan should read this.https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/verizon-prepaid-65-month-unlimited-jetpack-data-plan-pudp-retiring-...

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2255 Posts
  • 1378 Reply Likes
At least those who already have it are safe.  Well, at least for now, anyway.  

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 942 Reply Likes
Good plan. That is why it is going away. As long as they don't touch existing subs, okay. If they do, there is always Hughesnet for me.

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
If you have the Verizon Prepaid Unlimited Data Plan,  when you have to make any changes to your plan, it is best to contact their phone support (1-888-294-6804).  I tried to remove a line using the online procedure and ended up deleting my whole plan! Spent about 2 hrs on the phone to get it back up and running!  If that happens after the plan is Grandfathered, I would just be SOL!  Any changes I make from now on will be over the phone!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
This plan won't be viable for long, I'm sure.  Just like the Freedom plan, it's going to impact the rest of Verizon's network with those people streaming terabits a month.  Those on the "unlimited" plan will see their priority go to the back of the line, just like the fine print has told you.  But at least they got a bunch of new subscribers.

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I guess it remains to be seen how long the plan will be useful. I have had it for about 3 months (about 6 weeks using it exclusively ) and it has stayed  pretty stable and consistent.  I still have my Liberty 12GB plan as fallback plan.  With Verizon no longer offering the plan, I would tend to think it will stay fairly stable with no more new unlimited subscribers being added.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3181 Posts
  • 2047 Reply Likes
I have been using the prepaid Verizon unlimited plan for almost 3 months now, streaming around 100 GB a month. A few times, it was down to 1 Mbps, but normally 7 to 10 Mbps. I also have my Viasat 12GB Liberty plan as a fallback for those times that the wireless is too slow to stream.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 942 Reply Likes
Add me to the list.  100GB or so a month.  7 to 10Mbps normally.  Have never not been able to stream content live.  More stable and more consistent than satellite internet.  No regrets.

I did drop Viasat though.  Didn't want to give them any more money. If I have to make a change, Hughesnet is cheaper at my address anyhow.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I've been on this plan 6 months.  20 down, 15 up all the time.  Very few on my tower, many closer to town already use it for home internet on the low threshold postpaid, those farther out use Hn (since Viasat was closed, and now is double the price for the cheapest plan, for half the data of the competition (Hn has 20+50@25 for $50, promo pricing though, 10gb less after for about that price, Vs has 35 @12 for $100)).  I've had Vz based prepaid for more than 15 years, including before they had a tower in my area.  The last 7 years have been this tower, speeds have been consistent the entire time on prepaid.

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I have 2 hotspots on my plan.  $110 month plus taxes.  My son is using one of them and he uses way more data than I do.  He replaced an old HN Gen3 sys(?) with the VZ.  WAY better service for him.  If this (VZ) does "go south" I suppose he will have to go with a new HN installation. I would probably just keep the Liberty 12 though.  Inertia I guess  :>) !
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
I got a second line just in case, just charged for the partial month so not out much.
Couple tips if you didn't know. Look at the $40 prepaid refills on eBay. Second, pay your account balance fully with prepaid cards. If the full balance is paid with them, it doesn't add on additional taxes or fees.
(Edited)
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Darn. I am paying for it and can't use it so I have to cancel it and now if things change I won't be able to get it back.

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Do you mean you don't have a signal where you live or is there some other reason you can't use it? I wonder how many other people actually have this plan?  It was pretty much just word of mouth that made me aware of it.  I wouldn't have been aware of it if I hadn't heard about it here, VZ didn't promote it! I didn't think my reception was strong enough to make use of a mobile hotspot feasible. Quite a few people here apparently were able to make it work for themselves!   
Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 296 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Signal not strong enough. 
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
How about using a booster, Spinning Horse? I also wonder if hoards of people flee Hughes Net and Viasat for Verizon and ATT will those services turn to crap in areas where coverages are on the fringe. Also will the cell carriers start to offer less for more money trying to take advantage of people without hardwired options?
(Edited)
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Even just a decent outside antenna might work.

Looks like Visible wireless will be about the cheapest unlimited option with hotspot access. Limits of course, but basic access anyway.

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
The link in the OP states that VZ is doing away with the Prepaid unlimited plan so grandfathered users should be ok for now, as far as how many new users might be added.  AFAIK, the Postpaid unlimited plans all have fairly low data caps before they are throttled back.  The Prepaid Unlimited plan doesn't have a data cap but IS subject to network management (ie: de-priorization).   
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1619 Posts
  • 942 Reply Likes
Spinninghorse.  My guess is you might be able to sell it on eBay.  I know others have done it and that prepaid unlimited account you got is going to be worth gold as history has indicated from others who have sold it in the past.
Photo of Danielle Brennan

Danielle Brennan

• 95 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
I dumped Viasat over 3 months ago, after they changed their data policy on my Freedom 150GB plan. Verizon prepaid unlimited has worked just great for me, allowing me to stream all I want. Low latency, decent speeds and only $65 a month.

It appears that this plan has  been selling at a high rate, and it is predicted that Verizon will take this plan off the market next Tuesday. Hopefully those of us already on the plan will be grandfathered. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1619 Posts
  • 942 Reply Likes
Danielle and myself would be on the same Viasat beam, and Viasat isn't even viable for us anymore even if we wanted it because of the outrageous price they are charging for it.

Anybody want to pay north of $200/month for 12Mbps and 65 GB of priority data???

I am not even sure Nathan pays that for his great service. 

Viasat's variable pricing structure is a joke.  But then, with these prices Hughesnet is a much better value, at least in our area. 
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
Their pricing and plan structure is crazy. For me Hughes is the less attractive choice. Viasat gives me options for 5 different LIberty Plans and the Unlimited Silver 25.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1619 Posts
  • 942 Reply Likes
I might have even kept Viasat as a backup if I could have got a Liberty plan for $60 or so.

But they set the prices, so I guess they are not too concerned about being competitive in certain markets.

• 3180 Posts
  • 2047 Reply Likes
Even though I now have thee Verizon prepaid unlimited, which I use for streaming, I still have the Liberty 12GB 12 Mbps plan. That costs me $50 a month, no lease fee since I paid for the lifetime lease when I originally signed up in 2012. I keep that as a backup, just in case the Verizon is having a bad day. 
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 537 Reply Likes
I'm still on Freedom and looks like I'll keep it indefinitely or until something better comes along. At this point my only hope for better service is Viasat 3 or one of the LEO/MEO companies. Verizon jetpack is a no go for me due to distance from the tower and line of sight issues.

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
@Steven Frederick

Just curious, but why do you have three Vz hotspots? Are they all under the same roof?  If so, why didn't you use an wireless access point or a router?  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1619 Posts
  • 942 Reply Likes
I have two myself. One for home and one for travel.

• 3180 Posts
  • 2047 Reply Likes
@Michael, that was a mistype, it should have been "I now have the Verizon prepaid unlimited."

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
@Steven Frederick    AhhhHaa!   LOL!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.