Used all data in one day

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Just transferred to exceed because my neighbor has it however he has the plan for unlimited throughout the night so he can do his downloads them. I received the liberty pass and that's the only plan available. We used all data in one day because my kids watch Netflix a lot. I went to exude because we are at the end of the att line and service was extremely slow however I wish I had never left them because now I have same speed but quadruple the cost!!!!
Photo of Jeff Parrett

Jeff Parrett

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Greg Oehring

Greg Oehring

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Jeff, satellite Internet was never meant to be used the way you are using it. Exede is basically for people who can't get anything else. When I arrive at a customer's house to do an install I make sure that they are aware of the data limit. If I learn that they are watching Netflix constantly then I let them know that Exede may not be for them. If it means that I lose the install then so be it. You can always upgrade to the Freedom 150 plan. BTW, why are your kids home watching Netflix all day? It must be the weekend.
Photo of John Albano

John Albano

• 26 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Go to Netfix settings and dial back the resolution and that will give you more usage. That's what I have done. Alo, watch the games they will kill you. Lots of limitations to deal with but SD vs HD is just fine for the kids and play some DVD instead.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
With metered service, you do have to learn to manage usage. Netflix or and streaming video or music is a bad idea. Of course with Liberty 30, you can watch 1-2 movies per week and be okay but, not all day video even one day.

Not very many areas have Freedom plans available, most only get Liberty so that might not be an option. Classic is gone as well so, new customers in most places don't get the LNFZ anymore.

We here on the forum and the moderators can help you learn to manage your data usage and, have faster speeds for more or even all of the month.
Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Data Useage, we have consumed our 18 GB and have been on Liberty Pass since the 6th day of our data cycle. The culprit - initially was we were asked to watch three of our grandkids for a week - they brought their Ipad mini's. Within the 1st hour of they asked for our WiFi password and within a few seconds they were ON. We talked to them about NO Facetime, NO videos, NO online gameing. We also have a fairly new Xbox ONE which wa also connected along with our TV provider's DISH network. Note that we don't watch Netflix, we do have Amazon Prime but rarely take advantage of their online video collection. My wife however likes to view FACEBOOK posted videos. I swear that every time she re-shows someone the SAME video it's eating into our monthly data allowance. Since our early entry into "Liberty Pass" our three grandkids are back home with their mom, I have disconnected our Xbox one, Dish is also disconnected, our kids three Kindle Fires are connected but through our smart Wifi router only have a few evening hours to download game updates, receive new ebooks, and possible OS updates from Amazon. The weekend these same kindles have roughly have 8 hours for Saturday & Sunday to do the same. Note that I've alos turned off their access to Amazon, Videos, Amazon cloud storage, and online purchases through the OS's parental control SW.
Another thing i attempted during the last few days was to upgrade a 6 year old Toshiba laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - IT FAILED - I'm sure it used 4+ GB in the download process - It failed - I'm not happy. And to top it all off it took ALL DAY. The machine won't get past the big blue screen with a huge 4 pane window and this little thing spinning underneath making one think that it's doing something underneath? Anyhow I've ordered two different flavors of UBUNTU "Linux" which I've had prior success with.

My future plan for my next data cycle is to continue Limiting Kindle access, no XBOX one access, no DISH network access, and otherwise continue our normal use of our other WiFi connected deevices.

Note that we moved to Liberty 18 this past fall and have in each data cycle since then have entered Liberty Pass. Also Liberty Pass is more than acceptable for the most part - we are able to accomplish the things that we normally like to do online.
Photo of John Albano

John Albano

• 26 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
When you enter sat internet you  are living a new lifestyle.  Game will kill you along with online live streaming. You have to live with SD quality (which is acceptable in most cases. The setting will allow you to control that on Netflix and youTube  and other movie channels. After our two year contract (actually a few months before it expires) we need to evaluate this.  I man sure there is rate hike after the contract expires. We were able to update to Windows 10 with no problem.
Photo of Gregory Davis

Gregory Davis

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
We now have three machines running Windows 10. One being a Surface Pro 3 which originally came with Windows 8.1 Pro. This machine upgraded to Windows 10 Pro without any problems/hic-cups. The machine I'm using now I was also able to upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home but had to do a second try since the first attempt FAILED - actually the Micorsoft upgrade software automatically reverted this machind back to Windows 7. Our third machin is a NEW purchase Dell All-in-One with Widnows 10 Home pre-installed. This new machine is for my wife's use replaceing the Toshiba laptop - which I'm having so much fun trying to upgrade to Windows 10. My UBUNTU software should arrive within the next few days - I know I could do a download but decided to get it on a CD since I can use it to install on as many PCs as I want. It's a shame the Microsoft doesn't offer Windows 10 like that - I'd gladly pay the $99 for a DVD that would allow me to upgrade my older PC's.