Use my own router

• Question
  • Updated 4 days ago
  • Acknowledged
We recently signed up with Exede/Viasat and are very unhappy with the speeds. Customer service is dismal. I've been told by a tech savvy friend that we can get much better speeds if we use our own router. Viasat will not let us out of paying their monthly fee for their poor performing modem. It is so wrong to force us to use their sub par equipment. I am so sorry I signed up with this company. Any suggestions are welcome.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Check your wired speeds. Is it the service or the router?

I have the router and it works fine. Doesn’t have all the bells and whistles, but works acceptably well.
Photo of Safely Anonymous

Safely Anonymous

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
i was told you had to use their sorry router
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
You can just plug your own router in. You have to pay for the equipment lease, but you don’t have to use it.
Photo of Safely Anonymous

Safely Anonymous

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
in essence run two routers- two networks and i believe you would have speed degradation from the second(personal) router
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Greetings Boomer... The Wireless side of the ViaSat Modem/Router uses the Wireless N standard which was made obsolete sometime in 2012 when the Wireless A/C Standard arrived. The ViaSat modem instructions manual shows how to turn off (Disable) the Wifi signal on your ViaSat Modem/Router. Once that's done just plug in a newer standard wireless A/C router into one of the four ethernet ports on your ViaSat Modem and you wireless speeds should triple. Worked great for us. We're using an Apple Airport Extreme. Our wireless speeds are awesome! Best of luck!
Photo of Scott Reed

Scott Reed

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
James. "ViaSat modem instructions manual"? What is that? Can I download that from somewhere. I've always wanted to use own router but did not think that was possible.
Photo of Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks but this goes into no detail on the GUI for user programmed settings. Really a quick start guide.
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
To turn off the Wireless side of the ViaSat Modem just go to your favorite browser and type in 192.168.100.1. When the window opens type in your user name & password. If you haven't signed in before, both the user name and password are admin. Once you're in select WiFi settings at the top of the page. Go down to the Advanced Section. In the Advanced Section, click on the drop down arrow next to "Network Mode". Select "Disabled" at the bottom of the list. Then go to the bottom of the page and "SAVE CHANGES" It takes a few seconds for the modem to accept the changes. Once the save is complete, your done. Now you can plug your own WiFi modem into one of the Gigabit ports on the back of the ViaSat Modem & your ready to go! :)
Photo of david lightsey

david lightsey

• 35 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
quick question. I am using another router without disabling the viasat modem wireless feature. Am I losing speed  because of this? I don't have anything using the viasat wireless
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi David... Don't think you'll lose any speed as long as your connecting to "your router" for your Wireless Network. You just have two Wireless Networks running at the same time. The ViaSat Router runs on the Wireless N standard which is only 1/3 as fast as newer (since 2012) Wireless A/C routers. Most folks that want to use their own Router either disable the wireless on the ViaSat or enable the Bridge mode which turns off the wireless and disables ethernet ports 2, 3 & 4. So the ViaSat is just a pass through device available on port 1.   
(Edited)
Photo of david lightsey

david lightsey

• 35 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks James . Much appreicated
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Suggestions welcome eh....   Okay, This is going to sound really bad but.... wait.
We have been waiting years for the Viasat-2 satellite to launch and become operational.  It is finally upon us,  yes, finally.  It is anticipated to go Live in about a month (yes, another eternity).  Big, and I mean Big data users are gong to migrate as fast as phone falls can be made to flip a switch.  Big as in Military, Jet Blue Airlines, Universities, other airlines not as big as Jet Blue, Air Force One, and a list of other large data contract users.  They pay the millions per year and good for us, they will go quickly over to Viasat-2 leaving us with speeds that will increase and not go down at night that just gets better and better with each passing day.  So yea, for now, wait.  Take the wife and kids out more often for a month because you'll be at home on the Internet more soon enough.

In the meantime....  If any little bit will help, and you are running Windows, take a look HERE.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

My....  weren't we optimistic back then!

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
My experience says speeds are fine with ViaSat router. Distance it works well is questionable.
Photo of Roger Wernsing

Roger Wernsing

• 19 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
ok
Photo of Roger Wernsing

Roger Wernsing

• 19 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
You are paying a lease fee for all the Exede equipment, outside and inside.  A router has nothing to do with speed, it is the wireless vehicle u use to connect to the Exede equipment.  The built in Exede router is not as robust as an external router you could own yourself, but that only means the distance you can connect is larger...ie you can take your laptop outside and still get on the internet, and with the Exede built in you  might not be able to. 
Speed is degraded by more people being on your internet together,  so if you and 3 others are using the same internet at your home, it will be slower for everybody.   Speed is not  helped by an external router or using Exedes built in router does not effect speed.   

network congestion,  and multiple users slow every internet provider down, not just Exede.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3361 Posts
  • 1930 Reply Likes
Nor is speed impacted by using two routers. Now I will agree, the Viasat router is not going to be on par or anywhere close to a too brand router, so I would recommend bypassing it from the start. You are not necessarily going to get better speed, but you will get better range and better functionality.
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 832 Posts
  • 459 Reply Likes
i use my own router with the new modem... its a netgear n900 (cause its basically used for gaming but it also works for my other devices also :3   ) BUT!!! ive found that using my netgear n900 is MUCH better than the original router :3 because its like when i DID have the modem/wifi router from exede it was WAY to slow... and hard to learn... BUT!!! i decided to try my own router and disabled the router into the exede router and plugged into my own router :3 and ITS MUCH BETTER SPEEDS ONTO MY NINTEND SWITCH AND ALSO ONTO MY SPEEDTEST (DOT) NET ALSO!!! :D imma SO glad that ive switched to my netgear n900 :D also not only that... its better signal AND better speeds :D (depending onto the router itself :3 ) BUT HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YA OF WHAT I EXPERINCED!!! :3

P.S.!!! idk why i said exede DX but i shouldve said viasat tbh XD
Photo of Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How did you “bypass” the Viasat router function. I prefer not to have to routers working at the same time.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 827 Posts
  • 422 Reply Likes
Rick, follow this link for instructions on how to enable bridge mode.

Click here
Photo of Boomer

Boomer

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just did a speed check on two computers. One wired to modem got 17 mbps. Another wireless laptop got 7 mbps. So the modem/router is the problem I think. (the laptop was only 30' away)
If that new satellite is coming to us in a month, I'm going to wait and see what happens. Thanks for all your comments and suggestions!
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 302 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
There are better routers available than the Viasat combo, and i am under the opinion that this new modem/router gives too much control to Viasat.  Your major difference in speed is Ethernet, wired vs WiFi. air..  With the correct cabling Ethernet is faster and has more consistent speeds than WiFi

Wi-Fi has gotten significantly faster over the last few years, thanks to new standards like 802.11ac and 802.11n, which offer maximum speeds of 866.7 Mb/s and 150 Mb/s, respectively.

On the other hand, a wired Ethernet connection can theoretically offer up to 10 Gb/s, if you have a Cat6 cable. The exact maximum speed of your Ethernet cable depends on the type of Ethernet cable you’re using. However, even the Cat5e cable in common use supports up to 1 Gb/s. And, unlike with Wi-Fi, that speed is consistent.

So sending data from your device to your modem will be faster if using Ethernet.

Then it is up to the ISP to provide bandwidth to insure you get  overall satisfactory speed (downloading and uploading). Other major factors are internet congestion and Viasat throttling, DE-prioritizing your access/data flow.

https://www.howtogeek.com/208352/upgrade-your-wireless-router-to-get-faster-speeds-and-more-reliable...
(Edited)
Photo of Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How do you bridge the Viasat modem/router so I can use my own Netgear router?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 827 Posts
  • 420 Reply Likes
Rick, check this article for info on putting your Viasat modem into bridge mode.  
http://wildbluetools.com/content/FS/110/111/I12000_EnableDisableBridgeModemSB2PlusModem.pdf
Photo of Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If this is that easy, I’m in. Now just have to confirm that my Nest cameras will work....
Photo of A DV

A DV

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I’m on viasat2 in Canada using the supplied modem. The modem shuts down when I plug my Apple AirPort Extreme. My other modems don’t have this effect. Any suggestions?
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The Wireless side of the ViaSat Modem/Router uses the Wireless N standard which was made obsolete sometime in 2012 when the Wireless A/C Standard arrived. The ViaSat modem instructions manual shows how to turn off (Disable) the Wifi signal on your ViaSat Modem/Router. Once that's done just plug in a newer standard wireless A/C router into one of the four ethernet ports on your ViaSat Modem and you wireless speeds should triple. Worked great for us. We're using an Apple Airport Extreme. Our wireless speeds are awesome! Best of luck!
Photo of A DV

A DV

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
James, our viasat modem does not have the wireless feature built in. A stripped down version I guess. Interesting to see you are using the same hardware I can’t. Would love to figure this out. I’ve asked a bunch of techs and they all have not much to offer on the matter.
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Greetings A DV, Your Modem is quite a bit different but that's not necessarily a bad thing. (mine is pictured below) As long as your ViaSat modem provides a Gigabyte ethernet connection to your NetGear Switch, you're good to go. Just connect a Wireless router/modem that is based on the A/C Wireless standard (or newer) to your NetGear switch and then configure your new Wireless network IAW the directions that came with or are available for download from you wireless modem manufacturer. Have Fun! 

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3084 Posts
  • 1085 Reply Likes
You can use a 3rd party router but speed is determined by the modem. A router will offer a WiFi signal and divide your connection.

The modem unfortunately has no 3rd party option available. The ones in the stores are for DSL and/or cable and will not work with our service. At this time the only option is with our leased modems.
(Edited)
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Greetings Brad... The problem "Everyone has with the ViaSat Modem/Router" is that the Wireless standard used is "Wireless N". Wireless N Speeds top out at 450 MBps. This is about 1/3 the wireless speeds offered by the newer Wireless A/C standard modems which provide up to 1300 MBps. Since both the ViaSat Modem and Newer Standard modems provide "Gigabyte Ethernet" ports, any newer standard (A/C or better) wireless modem (such as the Apple Airport Extreme) plugged into an ethernet port on the ViaSat modem can provide "three times faster wireless speeds". The ViaSat Modem users manual provides instructions on how users can "Disable" the wireless signal on the ViaSat modem. Once this is done, any wireless A/C modem plugged into an ethernet port on the ViaSat modem provides a much faster wireless signal. Hoping ViaSat will start providing a newer standard router/modems in the future. Best Regards, Jim     
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2987 Posts
  • 1041 Reply Likes
Understandable but keep in mind that 450mbps is a far cry from our top speed of 50mbps. We released a new modem with ViaSat 2 and the Wireless modem prior to that. We'll update modems as the technology updates. 
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks Brad! I just had ViaSat installed about three months ago. I'm located in southern Oregon near Klamath Falls and have the "VERY SLOW WIRELESS" provided by the ViaSat (PN: RM5110N-32) Router. DO you have any idea when the newer technology equipment will be available in our area??? Thanks! 
Photo of Dave Kneebush

Dave Kneebush

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Recently they have enabled bridge mode on the routers....so the modem becomes just a dumb modem with only port 1 active to attach to your own  Router, I just did this sunday and it really improved coverage and speeds within the house.  You also get complete control over security settings, and the ability to bypass viasats DNS servers by entering your prefered ones ie. 8.8.8.8 for google and 1.1.1.1
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Dave... do we have the same Modem? Here's the reason I ask. I've configured mine so the "Wireless N" on the ViaSat is disabled. Then I use the four ethernet ports on the ViaSat for 1. A "wireless A/C router", (my wireless speeds more than tripled by doing this.) 2. Network Switch, 3. Network admin computer, 4. Personal computer. Trying to figure the advantage of disabling the other ethernet ports... do you go directly from your ViaSat your wireless router? Regards, Jim  
Photo of Dave Kneebush

Dave Kneebush

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes it is the same, when you select Bridge mode in the Router setup, it turns the modem Router into a passthrough modem and makes Port 1 a Wan output jack and turns the other three off (there is no longer a DHCP server turned on).  You then set up your A/C Router to do DHCP etc.  You use the gigibit jacks on your router to plug in the down stream switch., PCs etc.   With this setup you do not have a double NAT situation like you do now.  The way your setup now you have a Router behind a Router if that makes any sence.  In Bridge mode the only Router is your wireless A/C router.

An alternative set up may be to set your current A/C router in Access point mode if its available, this would accomplish the same basic thing, with the Viasat modem still acting as the only Router, it would then act as a switch with a wireless access point.
(Edited)
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Dave... Gave it a try a couple times yesterday. Went into settings & selected Bridge mode. The restart took forever to finish. The indicator light on the modem was blinking white for several minutes before turning blue. Once it was blue, port 1 was active and the other three were off as you said but the router seemed unstable and kept restarting itself over & over again. I set it back to factory defaults and tried again a couple times. Each time the router became unstable and kept restarting itself. I'm back to my previous setup now. Wish I knew what I was doing wrong... Regards, Jim   
Photo of Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I would like to know the steps to bridge the supplied modem/router combo so I can use my Netgear (I do a lot of port forwarding).
(Edited)
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Hi Rick... The Bridge Mode setting is toward the bottom of the router settings page. Thinking Dave Kneebush may have the information you need. I attempted to do this several times and never could get my modem to reboot after applying the setting. It would just flash white for hours and never establish a connection. Had to set in back to factory defaults each time. Please see Dave's comments dated a week ago.   
Photo of Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How do you bridge the Viasat modem/router so I can use my own Netgear router?
Photo of Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you James, I'll try to find the post.  I usually can bridge any modem easily on  the set up browser...
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Rick, If you have the same problems I did when trying put your ViaSat modem in Bridge mode, you can shut off the wireless side of the ViaSat Modem. The ViaSat modem instructions manual (That came with your modern) shows how to turn off (Disable) the Wifi signal on your ViaSat Modem. Once that's done just plug your NetGear wireless router into one of the four ethernet ports on your ViaSat Modem and configure. Your wireless speeds should triple. Worked great for us. We're using an Apple Airport Extreme. Our wireless speeds are awesome! Best of luck! 
Photo of Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wow, that’s great to know. Here I thought there would be conflicts with two active DHCP servers managing local IP addresses. I think I’ve heard others doing the same thing and it works for them too!
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 444 Posts
  • 168 Reply Likes
I've tried three different router brands.  A Belkin, a Linksys, and an Asus.  Just plugged  them into one of the switch ports on the modem and they all worked fine.
Photo of Boomer

Boomer

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks very much.  I'm going to try it.
Photo of Rose Smith

Rose Smith

• 24 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I jumped on the “unlimited” silver plan with Exede modem. When it arrived I simply set it up via instructions and then plugged in my Linksys router via the “blue” cord. Worked fine ,I’ve had consistent 15. 9 speed, never more rarely less. I thought that odd, but great compared to the past speeds. After following the threads about conflicts and speeds without bypassing the exede wireless, I decided to go into settings and enable bridge mode. Absolutely no difference at all. Speed tests still right at 16. Never, ever 25. Still love exede! Of course I would like to stream in HD for $30 per month, or whatever the rate is, instead of $100 plus, but I NEVER worry about running out of data now and we are delighted to sit on our front porch and watch the creek flow quietly by while reading blogs, watching YouTube and Facebook. Just simple folk. Well, we do play Xbox games, but only offline. Lol
Photo of Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz

• 16 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Heck that's fabulous.  I get 3-5 mb/sec now on DSL and paying $100 a month trapped by my local mountain Frontier service (won't let me drop the phone).  If I can verify I can view my Nest cameras remotely (upload speed); then I'm in!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
Find a local dealer and ask if you can test Viasat for your cameras. Many are happy to let you go someplace and do that sort of test.
Photo of Edgar Garcia

Edgar Garcia

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello All,
I have my Viasat/Exede modem wifi turned off and have connected an airport extreme and am much happier with the speeds. However If I enable the guest account on the airport non of my guest can connect to the internet, if I remember correctly no one was being issued an IP. Any suggestions or thoughts of why this may be happening?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 816 Posts
  • 409 Reply Likes
That sounds like an issue with the airport.  Hopefully, someone here has experience with Apple routers and can help.  Otherwise, you may need to check out an Apple support forum.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
Maybe this will help. I don't use an Apple Router but, this might help you: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5988310
Photo of James E Hart

James E Hart

• 16 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Greetings Edgar... You do have the option to turn the wireless back on, on your ViaSat Modem/Router and use that for your guest wireless network. While still using your (much faster) Airport router for your wireless network. It won't hurt anything to have more than one wireless network running.
Photo of Rick Diamond

Rick Diamond

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
What is the lowest possible latency that can be achieved through satellite Internet? Im wondering if i should even waste my time trying to tweak settings. Im a FPS Gamer so 600+ latency is out of the question. Is it possible to get it down to 100+ latency?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 871 Posts
  • 526 Reply Likes
No.  600ms is average.  It can never get any lower than about 550ms due to the distance the signal has to travel and the small amount of delay added by the components of the system.