usb port - connection for external HD?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Can the USB port on my new viasat modem/ router (jan 2019) be used to connect a usb external hard drive, thus creating a sort of network hard drive?
Photo of Michael Kulicke

Michael Kulicke

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Nope. The USB port is for "future expansion" which most likely will never occur.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
You probably could use  it to keep something charged.  It is live, I just tried it! At least the one on the SB2+ is.  
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
SB2 has USB port with charging power...just plugged in 6620L Jetpack...now watching to see if data bucket is affected.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Hopefully it's uploading all your tractor pics.

By golly... it turns on the light on my USB thumb drive. I've always wanted a night light in that room - who says Viasat doesn't listen and what won't they think of next? 
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
It's for that still hidden Media Storage Device section on the modem status page ;)

Media Storage Device? What's that? A device for storing media but that's not important right now. Surely you jest? No and don't call me Shirley.

But seriously, in the past it's been described by some installers as being for local diagnosis purposes - whether that actually panned out or not.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
When these modems are returned to Viasat, I'd venture to say that USB port is used to evaluate a unit...plug-n-play test, let a computer evaluate.  Viasat does recycle their equipment that is still being used.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Now explain the mystery of the hidden Media Storage Device section that's in the modem status page... yep it's still there (just hidden). When it first mistakenly showed up some two plus years ago there was a lot of speculation before it was simply hidden:

In that context, VeteranSatUser's explanation makes more sense. Some myself included speculate it may have been targeting a value added service akin to NightShift. The specualtion continues every few months when someone inevitably  asks what the USB port for.

The official response from years back was: "I'm not at liberty to discuss it."

Not that your's doesn't and would be consistent with installer statements.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I asked the engineers about it. My answer is what they said.

Does it supply enough power to support a mifi device? I am sure Jab will let us know!
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
As I recall weren't you also told some other info that turned out to be untrue ;)

As predicted...

When you speak, Jab listens...
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
It's not a high current charge...Jetpack's web interface will indicate if unit is charged.  When using a 2amp wall charger, this notice will show up much sooner.  I'm watching.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
USB port is used on a mobile unit: C-COM iNetVu 7000 Mobile Antenna Control Unit (ACU)...Surf Beam 2 Auto Acquire systems

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

I installed a new Novatel Battery just now, and battery level is at 39%...so, I'll monitor this indicator, and see if SB2 will increase battery's charged state.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You do that. And you will let us know I am sure.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I looked up the definition of irony.

It stated when you use a Viasat modem to power a mifi-device to deliver internet.

In all seriousness, the device I just ordered can provide internet redundancy.  So in theory I could have the Viasat modem connected to this device, the mifi connected to this device (powered by the Viasat modem), and when Viasat went out the mifi would continue the internet with no interruption.  I certainly don't need that exact of redundancy, but yea.  Interesting.   

Maybe I am Jab?!?!?  That would be strange.  But I am not a doctor. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
SB2 will recharge a new 6620L battery within 7 or so hours from 39% charge level.  I reinstalled USB cable to the router I have at 94% charged.  This router just maintains current battery state, but 6620L would not be transmitting at full power since a signal booster is being used.

Signal strength (RSRP): -80 dBm
SNR: 25   (SNR also called SINR, & value will change)
Understanding LTE Signal Strength Values
Conclusion - SB2's USB port might be for a diagnostic reason, but it appears to have enough power for a USB hard drive.
Photo of Watsson Merry

Watsson Merry

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am recently facing some issue with USB of the Printer on my Windows system. The USB is connected with my system, but nothing happens on my system. It was showing epson printer error code 0xf3 on my system. Can anyone tell me how to solve this error?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1456 Posts
  • 861 Reply Likes
I hear if you call India or the far east they have all the answers on these pesky Epson printer errors that always crop up on here weekly.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Watsson Merry asked a question....Can anyone tell me how to solve this error?...and then provides this URL?

https://errorcode0x.com/how-to-resolv...

Google suggests
https://www.epsonsupports.net/blog/fi...

I would not click on Merry's URL

(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2170 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
"Watsson Merry" post and link...

(Edited)