UPSET CUSTOMER

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
The plan I have with Viasat isn't available where I am moving. They say I have to go to a larger data plan which cost double. I don't need more date & I don't feel I should have to pay more per month because they don't offer my plan in the area I'm moving. So if I cancel my service I have to pay a termination fee of 15.00 per month. Why do I have to pay a termination fee???? It isn't my fault you don't offer my plan in the area I'm moving??
Photo of Marcella Kay

Marcella Kay

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1050 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes

I would email viasatlistens@viasat.com.  They "might" waive the termination fee since you are moving.

But I agree, I wouldn't pay more just because you are moving.
Photo of Marcella Kay

Marcella Kay

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank You, I am going to try & talk to someone in upper management.  Today I was told it would not do any good because I would be told the same thing by managers.  I was so upset with the 2 people I spoke with, I had to get off the phone & regroup my thoughts.  
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1050 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes
You might be told the same thing, but it doesn't hurt to send an email and ask.  What I wouldn't do is give in and pay more money for another plan.  The cancelation fee isn't as bad as paying for more service than you need. 
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 127 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
You can't take it with you.    Viasat plans are not portable which is odd since it is satellite after all.  I recall somewhere that they will waive the early termination fee if you are moving.   You are then a brand new customer setting up service at the new location and must choose from plans offered.   
Photo of Marcella Kay

Marcella Kay

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank You.  I like the internet service with Viasat, and would have been more than happy to move it with me to my new location, but I am not going to keep it & pay double the price with way more data than I need.  I don't mind paying a reasonable termination fee either, but 285.00 is way too much. I have to move due to a job change so this just doesn't seem fair to treat customers like this.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1017 Posts
  • 615 Reply Likes
So you have had the service only 5 months?

So do you have other internet options where you are moving too? 
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 88 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
This is how greedy corporate America operates
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1017 Posts
  • 615 Reply Likes
There is a reason the earnings per subscriber figure increases with each quarterly report but the amount of subs remains stagnant. 
Photo of Marcella Kay

Marcella Kay

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes there are several options where I am moving.  It is just a shame that I have to start over with another service when if they had my plan, I could just move modem with me & they would just come & install the new satellite, like Dish or Direct TV does when you move.  Once again I totally understand that they can't provide my same plan where I am moving, I just don't get why they can't give me some sort of "discount" on the cancellation fee.   They are the one's who can't provide what I signed up for on my 2 yr. contract.  I'm going to try to get in touch with their corporate office to see if their is some sort of appeal process I can do.    It does seem it's all about the money for them, not making customers happy!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 860 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
If you have better internet options other than satellite, you should be grateful and not worry about moving Viasat with you. In the long run, you will be much better off, even if you have to pay a cancellation fee.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 349 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
The chances of back to back locations where satellite works great aren't very likely.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 860 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
Does that apply to central Virginia?
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 349 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
I honestly have never heard anyone say anything good about it in my area. You mention satellite internet while waiting in line you get nothing but them telling you how much it sucks.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 860 Posts
  • 559 Reply Likes
All about expectations. I know personally I am doing just fine without it. Now, will Viasat-3 make a difference and outperform what I have now? Who knows. The only certainty was Viasat-2 was a complete bust for me.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 349 Posts
  • 105 Reply Likes
I came in with low expectations and those weren't even met. If Viasat was as reliable as late 90's 786 Kbps I would have been happy.