Upload speed faster than download speed

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
Streaming is constantly pausing for buffering. Measured speeds: Download speeds less than 2mps, Upload speeds 2-3 times faster than Download. This is unacceptable for what I am paying.
Photo of Mick Youther

Mick Youther

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1219 Posts
  • 757 Reply Likes
That's better speed than I got during primetime.

Have you went over your priority data? You have a 150GB plan by chance?
Photo of Mick Youther

Mick Youther

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps with 150 GB priority data.  This months data usage 64 GB

You get less than 2 Mps during prime time?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 976 Posts
  • 606 Reply Likes
I was getting 300kbps or less.

Here is your problem. You are on the 150GB priority plan. For most people on that plan, Viasat will deprioritize your speed regardless of data usage.

You are left with three options.

1) Change your plan (typically you will pay more to get less, but speeds are said to improve).
2) Keep your existing plan (Viasat doesnt want this, so your speeds will probably continue to degrade at times).
3) Cancel Viasat.

The choice is yours!
Photo of Angie Russell

Angie Russell

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
New to the forum... but I see my problem is NOT new... I was just recommending Viasat to a friend (over Hughesnet) and he asked me my speeds...when I checked... I was floored that it was 1Mbps....  so I called...  was told  essentially... we'll give you less for the same price ...take it or leave it....   how in the world do they get away with that???  
Photo of Mick Youther

Mick Youther

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
In case if will help you or anybody else. I had rebooted my moden numerous times with no improvement, but when I followed the complete shutdown and start up procedure listed below, it fixed my slow connection and things seem to be good now. 

Network Restart Here's the correct way to restart your wireless router and Viasat modem (and yes, the order really does make a difference!) 1) Power down the computer connected to your Viasat modem. 2) Unplug the router. 3) Unplug the modem from the electrical outlet. 4) Disconnect the Ethernet cable connecting your computer to the modem. 5) Make sure the Ethernet cable from the router is plugged into the back of the modem.  Note: Wireless routers do not require a cable connection to the computers they support.  6) Plug in the modem. Wait until all LED lights on the modem are solid blue.  7) Power up the router. 8) Power up the computer.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 976 Posts
  • 606 Reply Likes
Your slow speeds will return at times of network congestion.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1988 Posts
  • 1213 Reply Likes
You're disconnecting a LAN cable connected computer from the ViaSat modem, but never reconnecting it.  You either need to then connect it to the router, and use it that way, or, if it will remain connected to the modem, it doesn't need to be disconnected in the first place, as a LAN cable connected computer doesn't need to be disconnected if both the computer is off and the modem is unplugged from the power.  It's a step that's unnecessary.  
Photo of Mick Youther

Mick Youther

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I just cut and pasted the directions, which didn't really apply to my combo modem/router.  Basically, Unplugged my modem/router, shut down computer and unplugged it from router, waited a few minutes, powered up the modem/router, waited till it connected, plugged computer back into router and turned on computer. Went from less than 2 Mbs to 10+Mbs.  This has worked on two separate evenings during prime time.
Photo of Mick Youther

Mick Youther

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks. That sucks. I don't like any of the choices. What did you go to?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1108 Posts
  • 691 Reply Likes
4G Wireless
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I also went to 4G wireless, it was great for 4 months, when summer hit evening and weekend speeds went in the tank. I just got a 368 Kbps test. It usually improves this late, it is almost midnight. It appears to be congestion, hopefully they will add another tower. Seems like too many people dumped satellite here. At least I only pay an extra $38 a month.