upgraded to Silver and not getting 480p

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Hi,

I upgraded to Silver the other day specifically so that we could stream Google Play at 480p.  Before the upgrade, we could stream at 360p.  We are still only able to stream at 360p without buffering.  We watched a movie Sunday night and 480p was working fine.

Conditions:

10:40pm tuesday night in Hawaii.

movie won't stream at 480p.  same result whether we watch it in Google Play or YouTube.  plays for maybe 10 seconds, buffers, repeat.

no applications but browser open.  tried both FireFox and Chrome.

no other computers on the connection.

using network cable not wifi.

thanks,
JC

Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What is your speed when you do a speed test? It could be your connection is too slow. Have you tried to watch at different times of the day?

The only difference in plans (other than the amount of priority data) is how slow your streaming is throttled. In theory, the silver plan should provide faster video streaming. But if your internet connectiom is too slow to begin with, it won't make a difference.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
WH7QQ was not impressed with this forum. He's a retired creator of electronic medical equipment from LA area, and living on Molokaʻi with his wife.  Last I knew, local telco laid fiber to the street, but had not hooked it up. The local telco was focused upon getting fiber laid down first in sub-division's streets...he has the options of paying a private contractor bring it to his house, or wait for them.  Telco took federal monies, and has so many years to get it done.  Last I knew, his plan with Viasat worked just fine...maybe Liberty plan, iirc. Pricewise, what local telco will charge, and Viasat's monthly charge were somewhat similar, when I price checked elsewhere. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@crystal3tech

I'm not aware of a bandwidth issue in Hawaii.

Could you do a fast.com test, and post finding?

If using a router, is QOS turned on. 
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yea it was WH7QQ! Good forum contributor.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1930 Posts
  • 1190 Reply Likes
Looks like wh7qq abruptly stopped posting on DSLReports in August 2018.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Maybe he moved on from satellite internet.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 431 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
It’s “up to 480p”.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Considering Viasat is equipping more/more aircraft with their 1 Gbit/s unit, they may have squeezed down HI's bandwidth, and applied same traffic policy that stateside customers have. It's possible HI's VS-1 beam is not full bandwidth, as those used in states.

That said, OP's equipment must be considered...older computers do not have video decode, and if old enough, they will choke (buffer) at some resolution.  My Win7 computer chokes at 1080p, but does fine with 1080p video when video decode is done on video card.
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
This morning 8:30am Hawaii Time I am able to stream 480p, and was able to on a Sunday night, so this is looking like an issue with prime time weekday nights.  Right now testmy.net shows 18.7 Mbps.  Ten min. ago testmy.net showed 11.7 Mbps, which is similar to what it showed last night around 11pm.

I just got off chat w/ Viasat, and they confirmed that there is no guarantee that 480p will work when there is "congestion".

So, it appears that Silver won't help us.  Would Liberty 50 be any better?  Should I try it?
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
No video resolution downgrader with Liberty if you turn it off.

It might. And if not, you could always utilize PlayOn Cloud for certain streams and download content during Liberty's free zone.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Can you do a https://fast.com/ test?  Congestion does not exist in HI

Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
fast.com says 1.1 Mbps right now.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
If you just upgraded...give it a day or two...that's 360p video
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 431 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Fast.com reports 650k on a bronze 12 plan. That’s 360p.
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I upgraded on Sunday, and was streaming 480p that night.  I'm at the end of the billing cycle, 2 days remaining, 10.5 GB used.

I have this in my notes from Oct. 2018 (when I was using Unlimited Bronze):
...there's also something going on with Viasat's "Web Accelerator" – when I called customer support, they were stumped as to why I was not able to stream at 360p, so they eventually tried "resetting" the Web Accelerator on my account, which fixed the problem...
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Brad can field this question....but I suspect you are still on the previous plan, in their system
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
OK thanks.  account.viasat.com says Silver.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Yes...you can see the plan, but in their sat computer, one is still on 360p plan...just wait
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I just turned on 360p...I have video save option  I checked plans for Kaunakakai, HI, and with your current usage, one should not be going this speed below...this is 360p speed.

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Actually that's what many here typically get for 480p - the Video Data Extender (or Video Data Saver for NRTC subscribers) option is 480p. I always keep it on and rarely see anything higher than 1.1 Mbps. Justy ran it an sure enough 1.1 Mbps.

In point of fact that's what many have been complaining about here since the inception of unlimited silver at 480p (as well as other plans) and "limited" plans having the Video Data Extender enabled, but we have the option to turn it off.

The throttling rates are simply too low for the "typical" quality except under ideal circumstances. It is possible to deliver 480p at that speed but it is extremely rare and atypical.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Correct
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Well, on Sunday I called into Viasat to make this upgrade, because the plan was not shown in the available plans in my Viasat online account.  They told me Silver was in fact available to me, and I made the upgrade, and they reset my modem.  Shortly after that, Silver was shown as my existing plan in the online account.  The person who activated the plan didn't say anything about a delay as you are referring to.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Fact...one is running 360p video resolution...no iffs, ands, or butts...360p.  Which island you from?
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm on the Big Island.  Should I switch to Liberty 50 and use the Video Data Extender?  We just want to reliably be able to stream 480p on weekday nights.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
All I can find for zip code 96745 are "unlimited" plans...just wait
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Sure, I will wait a bit, but Liberty 50 is showing as available in my Viasat online account.  Zip here is 96778.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

I just caught your comment now....fricken bummer...480p at 1.1Mbps...VS pimping the public.

Well Crystal...three options...use VPN service and watch higher vid resolution...or pay more to via-shaft...or maybe use a wireless carrier's unlimited plan...if you have cell service at home.

Footnote -  IIRC, AT&T does not suggest 1.1Mbps is 480p...I'd have to double check.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes

Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 431 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Those numbers are incorrect.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Viasat says "typical" and notice above...its clear someone is BSing...Hey Brad...what is 480p "typical" speed on Viasat?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
It depends on the exact title, video content provider, how well they may compress that particular title in some cases and even the browser or device being streamed to.

"Typical" is the new "up to" marketing euphemism for video streaming. "Optimized for xxxp" didn't turn out so well.
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 431 Posts
  • 145 Reply Likes
Compression. You said it.
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
fast.com is now showing 1.1 Mbps and playback at 480p is buffering heavily.  10:40am Wed. here in Hawaii.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Hey Crystal...just looked at real estate in your area...here's another solution:-)

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
crystal3tech,

This topic has been discussed ad nauseam here.

In short if you want consistent video streaming on an unlimited plan try running a VPN which will avoid the video detection algorithm altogether. The trade off is that you will use more data and reach your data usage threshold quicker. If you really are satisfied with 480p be sure to configure your video content provider to deliver at 480p or they may choose to deliver an even higher quality aand you'll burn through your data even more rapidly.

Liberty 50 may be a better option but the video data saver option similarly streams at a "minimal" rate for 480p. You can however turn it off (and it doesn't require a VPN). The real question will be whether you can live with the 50GB limit, leverage its free zone period and shift usage to the daytime (off peak hours) once you exceed that priority data.

With today's video content providers, Viasat can't guarantee any quality. All they're doing is throttling detected video streams (as well as some falsely flagged data as video). The content provider determine what quality is delivered using adaptive streaming based on what they perceive to be your current newtor conditions.     
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
It isnt rocket science here. Congestion/throttling whatever you want to call it, speeds are too low to stream consistently at 480p at certain times.
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for your input.

I'm not going to run a VPN.  The Silver I just upgraded to has a new limit of 60GB... not 150 like it used to be.  So, Liberty 50 is looking pretty good if it will deliver.  Yes, I can live with 50GB limit.  I only used 10.5 in Feb, but sometimes we could use double that or more.

I guess I will wait a few days, let the billing cycle complete, and if there is no improvement, try Liberty 50.

Yes, I am fully aware to select the streaming rate rather than letting the provider set it.  I am using Google Play.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Well I'm glad it finally sunk in... we've only been discussing it here since the unlimited plans were trialed on Viasat-1. Complain  to the FCC. Save yourself writing a doctoral thesis and just go back and review your and other's responses to Ricky Dean some 12 months ago. This ones a dead horse that everybody's figured out - 360p, 480p, 720p streaming rates are bare minimums. I don't really need to re-litigate it.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

I have scanned tidbits from this "forum" previously.  Regardless, VS needs to spell out...specifically.  They have lots of EE engineers, who could assist their marketing reps.

Chances are, I'll be moving on to VZW...this issue was never an issue for me.  Nor does it show up over there.  Over there, no complaints of this nature.

What's needed is an investigative reporter...or even 60 minutes.  Of course, VS will most likely decline an interview.  Someone who exposes their game.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Actually you actively participated in Ricky Dean's conversations a year ago.

Geraldo has a lot of free time on his hands. So does Matt Lauer, maybe even more so.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO...Ricky Dean

Imho, he was not forthcoming with requests I made, and tended to be evasive, iirc.  I say now to use FCC's Speed Test...there is an app for it.  I really don't spend that much time here....mainly taking snapshot views.

Viasat's commercial video, and other background info (focusing upon "typically") would go a long way.  Even FTC might be swayed with deceptive means.  Viasat is using an abstraction, and video experts would have a nice day with that "typically" nonsense.

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
IMHO, you were asking him irrelevant questions and he became frustrated with you.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What is wrong with running a VPN?
Photo of crystal3tech .

crystal3tech .

• 35 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm not going to answer that here.  BTW, I've been in IT since 1982.  I worked for the company that pioneered the ethernet.  I was a systems software engineer for over 25 years and my specialty was data communications and networking.

Yes, I am very concerned that Viasat is misleading people with there assertion of 360p, 480p.

The "Service Plan Policy Update" of Jan. 15 2019 was basically just an admission that they can no longer deliver the advertised speeds.

BUT... I don't want to open a can of worms on this thread.  I just want to stream at 480p on weekday nights with my son.  So.. 'nuf said and I will update here when I have more info from my end.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Ummm okay. Forgive me, I just was hoping you would share your knowledge on what is wrong with running a VPN. Since you have such a vast technical background, perhaps some of us could learn something useful.

Anyhow, best of luck to you.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Crystal, here's Viasat TV Commercial, 'What You've Been Waiting For
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 92 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
""there's no more choppy video streaming*"
*Unless you have congestion, *unless over priority data, *may require setting video to 144p, *"no more" does not mean "no more" if you experience choppy video
(kidding...)
Photo of Albert Davis

Albert Davis

• 17 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Viasat screwed me. I'm on unlimited bronze 12 and supposed to have 12 mb up to 150gb data and did for 8 months now they throttle me al.ost 19 hours a day . Untbrottled I get 610kbs with fast . It gets as slow 0.42kb and cant stream any video even at the slowest 144p . Still charge me 80 dollars though
U have no option to lose them as we have no internwt where i live . I am supposed to have 360p according to my contract but they are trying to make me give up my unlimited plan and I wont.