Trouble with support

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: tired thread

Living in an area without cable, I've been forced to subscribe to satellite internet years ago using Wildblue, then after ViaSat took them over, it became Exede. Reviewing ViaSat's webpage one would think they are leaders in satellite technology. If that's true, why are they tarnishing their reputation with an unqualified technical support team? In this day I find it shocking that those calling Exede for technical assistance are more computer literate than anyone in technical support. I know this as fact after spending years dealing with them. I am always having to "teach" the technical support team. What's worse is that they admit it! Those in "technical support" do not know a Mac operating system from any other. I have been having numerous problems with Exede, yet, I am not "allowed" (as i've been told many times) to speak with anyone who has a technical background. What is up with that? The fact is that "technical support" is an over-glorified name for "customer service". And, what's worse is that EVERYONE I've spoken to working for Exede complains of the same thing. That's right, even the employees feel that technical support is unqualified!!

I am still having internet problems, yet, since I cannot speak with anyone who is qualified to do their job, I am forced to find another IP. Reading all the online blogs, and believe me, there are so many complaints to read, I know I'm not alone, only a veteran at dealing with them already. As customers, we would have an easier time reaching the President of the U.S. then reaching qualified help at Exede.

I would not recommend this company to anyone.
Photo of Dizaru

Dizaru

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • beyond frustrated & ashamed of Exede

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Diane -

I understand your feelings on the issue. That being said, I don't expect anyone at Exede to have any knowledge past the modem. That means as far as any router, OS, or other peripheral device connected to their modem, I wouldn't expect them to have any technical expertise on that other equipment.

I am part owner of a small consulting firm doing tech support for small and medium sized business. I find that when I call support at just about any of the equipment vendors for the systems or equipment we sell that I already have blown past most level 1 and a lot of level 2 support steps. Usually when we call we have to get to level 3. This is mostly due to our experience with the equipment we sell and knowing all the regular fixes and usual problems.

Exede is much the same. The only difference is that I am not sure you or I can ever really speak directly to what they term level 3 support. For my part, I really haven't ever needed to. The times I have called and the Customer Care representative could not help me, they escalated the issue and it was resolved within a couple of days.

I can honestly say that Exede has met my expectations and resolved my problems to my satisfaction whenever I have contacted them.

Sorry you have not had the same experience. Is there a particular problem you are experiencing currently?
Photo of Exede Amber

Exede Amber, Employee

• 135 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Hello Diane, I would be more than happy to personally look at your services for you. Please send your account information to exedelistens@viasat.com and I will get to it.
Photo of Jim Parker

Jim Parker

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
We have just been through a 3 month + nightmare with Viasat Customer Care. It may be the only bureaucracy growing faster than the border patrol in the US. It is so vast no one will admit to knowing anyone who works there. Internal communication is virtually non-existent either by design or culture. Instead, the cost of providing continuity in problem solving is externalized to the customer. Of course, "there" is not necessarily @ ViaSat. They use vendors too. One of the engines driving the growth, in our opinion, is the competence/professionalism of the technical support. The banner on this page http://www.exede.com/customer-support/ should be warning enough. It is not the people who answer the customer care number who are the problem. The persons on Tier II and above apparently lack the skills or common sense most on the street savy folks come equipped with today. Arrogance is the first word that comes to mind. Incompetence is the second. Lord help us if ViaSat wins a contract to provide a flying situation room for the US Government. You have to hand it to the corporate leaders though, they've leveraged the engineering capacity built by preying on people beyond the reach of wired internet to win contracts streaming videos to customers who can afford to fly first class!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.