Why is Freedom only for new customers?

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Questions about Freedom plan

Does anyone know a lawyer?  This can't be legal.  Unlimited for 'new' customers only?  Not good business practice. http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-pricing/service-availability?zip=32117  New customers are eligible for more than existing customers has to be discrimination or something.  I demand the unlimited data for $99.00 monthly.
Photo of Barb

Barb

• 68 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
  • Very ANGRY

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Barb I just signed up Monday and was not offered this deal!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
These plans had not rolled out yet when you signed up for service. I'm so sorry for this unfortunate timing Jason. /:
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I understand that "deal" wasn't available at the time I signed up.  However considering it came out literally three days after I became a customer it my mind it would be a good faith gesture for you to honor the new deal.  I see this scenario no different than buying practically ANY tangible good from a retailer - to find out that item went on sale a few days later - and that store would then honor the new price.  It's become painfully obvious that Exede does not do business this way and that is your prerogative.  Just like it's mine to educate as many people as possible of your "business practices" as well as how your sales staff misinforms consumers in pre sales consultations. 
Photo of Kathy

Kathy

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
If Exede is offering this then it will not be long that Hughesnet will also.  If we cannot have this plan with Exede, then it might be time to move. 
Photo of Kathy

Kathy

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Right now it seems the unlimited plan is only available in certain areas, but Exede does have plans to offer something to us who already have a contract with them.
http://gigaom.com/2014/08/13/as-satellite-internet-technology-improves-exede-starts-boosting-its-bro...
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I agree I will even buy out of my contract and go to Hughes If it isnt offered to those of us that paid out the butt to put this company where it is today.
Photo of coonhnd

coonhnd

• 33 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
If this is true I'm cancelling my contract and going back to Hughes. I thought I had made the right choice to leave Hughes and try Exede. I have been pretty happy with Exede except for their high prices. I sure hope this is not true because its like a stab in the back to the loyal Exede customers!
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
So if you haven't noticed yet Exede's new promo is the "Big Bang" where they essentially double your data limit (on any plan) for the first 6 months.  As I stated previously I just signed up last Monday (8/11).  I called customer support today asking to be given this promo retroactively.  I was basically told to pound sand.  I tried to compromise and offered to upgrade my package if they'd allow me in on the promo.  Again I was told no.  I asked politely if we could escalate this to a supervisor.  At which time I was told (more or less) no one there could "override the system" and I'd have to take this up with corporate.

pic of said promo pricing

http://i.gyazo.com/dbfa17f9dfa9444fcd44987e90b3a6f3.png
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
There I agree, if new customers get 50 GB then how about giving the rest of us double for the next six months too?
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
Yes, they seem to have the concept backwards.  We are patiently waiting for the tiny start up wireless broadband company to make it out to our site because they are doing what a company should be doing taking care of their EXISTING customers first before adding new ones.  They are working on a tower that was affected by road construction to make sure their equipment is all working correctly.  If Exede wants to keep their existing customer base they need to do things to make them happier and  more satisfied with their service.  Not do things to make people more unhappy.  I was initially encouraged by the news but now it looks like another slap in the face to current subscribers.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
To all customers,

ViaSat's new plans are only available to new customers in certain areas.  Just as many other Internet service providers do, we are testing our new plans in select areas. Understanding how different plans work in different areas of the country allows us to improve the quality and variety of the plans that we offer and to create a service that matches the changing needs of today’s Internet customers.

Typically we allow customers to switch plans at any time at no additional charge. Due to some technical limitations associated with the testing of our new Freedom plan, we are unable to switch existing customers to the new plans until later this fall.

If you send me a email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account information, we can discuss other options for you.  We appreciate and value ALL of our customers.

Sincerely,
ExedeKarmin
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Technical limitations my butt you are offering all new customers triple usage in my area other then screwing me over getting less usage for being a customer since 97 you are now loading up the system so I will have slowed Internet. I won't wait around this time like I did with wildblue when they done this my service went to great like it is now to crap like it will now and I won't believe the crap lies that wIt great things are coming and take my word for it that is the story all Ols customers are going to get just wait for new satellite we are going to offer great things. Well you did but not to old customers ......I guess we have to start doing like we do with dish and direct and leaving to your competition back and forth
Photo of Drew Wagner

Drew Wagner

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Oh Exede, why do you do this to yourself?

To start out my Exede experience, our tech cancelled our appointment twice and then once he showed up to do the install, told me that I had to place ground rods every ten feet from our ground terminal in our house in order to complete the installation because the dish had to be installed more than 50 ft from the ground to get a signal. I have an engineering degree and had our electrician standing there arguing for an hour but he and his supervisor insisted that it was "company policy" and they couldn't do anything about it. I spent $300 and had our electrician rig it up the next morning so that the tech could come back and do the install and we could finally get internet. (we live in an area where Exede and Hughes are the only options, boy do I regret my decision). I got a call around noon the next day from the supervisor informing me that he did some research and I was right that the additional ground rods were not necessary. UNBELIEVABLE! So I got my Exede service set up and some free service for the mistake and we moved along, slightly frustrated but at least we had internet.

Before today, I thought Excede was a well intentioned company that was understaffed and sometimes incompetent which led to its poor customer service. I now believe that Exede is an unethical company that enjoys enraging its customers.

If you want to test a service out, the way to do it is with your CURRENT CUSTOMERS! If your network can't handle the added bandwidth, then offer incremental increases until it can and everyone will be happy. I have been BEGGING Excede to offer us a larger plan from the day we signed up and were assured that they were coming. Today I got online and YAY! an unlimited plan is finally available. And then I read the fine print "FOR NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY".

I am about to create a social media storm for Exede. It is going to be fun. I hope everyone else joins with me and sends this story to every news outlet and social media site you can to stop this unethical behavior. I also encourage everyone who reads this to go elsewhere for service like I will the moment our contract is up. I have had it. If you are considering Exede internet, DONT. They will take your money and run as soon as you are locked into one of their 2 year contracts.
(Edited)
Photo of Jason

Jason

• 28 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
I find it amusing when a company takes the initiative to register defamatory web page domains before their pissed off customers can.

Photo of JayCee

JayCee

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I had just cancelled my Exede service last week as was fed up with the limits and a price model that increased cost per gb the more you use, and in the equipment return box was a note asking me to call them to find out what the special offer they had prepared to keep my business. Checked in line and Saw this thread before I called, so was hopeful they would have an offer that addressed my concerns. What offer did they have, a complete, insulting joke - they would waive a reconnection fee! Honestly that was it. Even to win back a customer they had already lost they won't give an unlimited package. Previously I was just a mildly upset customer, now I am an extremely pissed off ex customer, who will let everyone and anyone know what a cruddy company they are, and how little they value their customers.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
You're not in a low usage beam.  No "unlimited" for you.  That's how it works.
Photo of Cedius

Cedius

• 45 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
JEP, I hate to break it to you, but this is bad business practice I don't care how you swing it. It is a cheap shot, and very bad ethics. Low usage beam? Give me a break.  It's now only a matter of time before exede takes the plunge.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Actually, I prefer managing my data usage and having high speeds to slugging along on congested overused beams.  It is actually good business practice to keep the majority of your customers happy.  If there are 100 people complaining about the DAP on these forums, that still leaves well over 630,000 (and growing) that aren't.
Photo of Cedius

Cedius

• 45 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
How do you know there aren't more? Oh right, you're speculating. Without hard data, you have nothing.
Photo of Vanessa

Vanessa

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I find it interesting that all exceed wants to do for its current (loyal customers) is offer 5GB at a time (up to 30GB to compensate).  Additionally, This month alone we were at our max in 6 days!  We never have had this happen.  We had to buy, opted to have one of our restriction removals and now add 10GB of data added just to get through the month - we are burning through ridiculous amounts of data all of the sudden with no explanation other than to monitor our usage - it hasn't changed!
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes

We'd love to offer Freedom everywhere.  And where it is offered, we absolutely will offer it our existing customers, as soon as we complete some system upgrades to let us do it.  Unfortunately, we don't have the capacity until our next satellite to offer this kind of service everywhere.

Photo of Drew Wagner

Drew Wagner

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
As an Exede rep can you please explain the logic behind offering only new customers a package that offers unlimited (150gb/mo) data for $99/mo while current customers pay $129/mo for 25gb of data and are forced to buy more at $10/GB? We signed up for the service in June of this year and are stuck in a 2yr contract paying more for less. This is why you have so many angry customers.

If you say it is for testing, I call BS because any ethical company would have quietly selected random current customers to see how it worked out and then released the deal for everyone. You don't test something by offering new customers a more for less scenario for 2 years while leaving your current base out to dry.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
This is how the satellite tv providers, cell phone providers and the major cable companies have been doing it for years. It is a smart marketing technique to attract new customers in area of their business where they have unused capacity. 
Photo of Drew Wagner

Drew Wagner

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
No, with cell, satellite, cable etc. a better deal may be offered to new customers as an introductory offer, but current customers get the option to at least enjoy the new feature at their current price or extend their contracts to get the benefit of the new service or option. I would like to hear an example of a time when a company rolled out a new service, locked out their current customers from being able to use it, and charged 30% less.
(Edited)
Photo of JayCee

JayCee

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Unfortunately the U.S. consumer is badly treated by al l the Internet sevice providers. In the UK unlimited usage internet With speeds of 30mbs comes at around $16 a month. This is because they have real competition, and genuine anti-trust powers are exercised by the government. If we want fairly priced internet we need congress to act in our interests - which will be difficult as they get 'campaign donations' (bribes)- from those unscrupulous companies they should be protecting us from.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Drew, we're not 'testing,' we're offering this service where we can. As some others on this forum have correctly pointed out, some of our beams have more capacity than others, and that's where we're able to offer this enhanced plan. I understand your frustration, and believe me, we'd love to be able to offer a plan like this everywhere asap. Until our new satellite launches in 2016, we're doing what we can where we can to improve our plans and service. With satellite spot beams, you've just got to be very careful about what you offer where so that you don't overload the beams and slow service for everyone.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.