UNLIMITED SERVICE ALREADY

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
After not being able to get enough speed to watch ondemand on directv, I believe I will switch internet providers! Any suggestions?
Photo of Debra Pistole

Debra Pistole

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • AGGRAVATED

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 112 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
What are your options?  If you have superior options why did you go with satellite Internet?  Sat Internet is what it is.  Can't compete with fiber or cable and never was designed to.  It's a 'broadband' alternative for those of us in the boonies with no infrastructure to tie into.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Go to https://broadbandnow.com/ enter your Zip Code and search for providers in your area. Then call them  or visit their sites to see if any provide service to your specific address. 

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 270 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
The best suggestion is to get FTTH. You won’t beat that in the next two decades at best and probably not for much longer.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Satellite internet and Directv on demand should never be mentioned in the same sentence!

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
You just did ;)

Should have included the disclaimer "except when the sentence includes the term sucks" and you'd have been covered.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1867 Posts
  • 1161 Reply Likes
Debra, 

Just so you're aware, connecting a DirecTV receiver to an ISP with a data cap, or even a quasi data cap, is not a good idea.  DirecTV receivers can use a LOT of data, and for things other than just On Demand viewing.  People have seen their data wiped out by those receivers even when they never watched a thing On Demand.  Keep that in mind.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2688 Posts
  • 1404 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1865 Posts
  • 1159 Reply Likes
Poke.  Poke.  Poke.  

Just making sure you haven't turned into a bot.  :)  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Like the spam that attacks this forum at night with printer/router support links!

I dont care what plan or how much data. Neither will matter using DirecTV connected to Viasat.
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
all i can say is... your going to pay an early termination fee of $300 for early termination... then $15 each month for the remaining months of your 24 months contract.

for an example: 24 months is 2 years. soooo... if you had services for like 3 months... take 24-3=21... sooooo.... you will have 21 months of the $15 each month until its fully paid. plus the early termination fee i mentioned...

OH!!! I MUSTVE FORGET THIS ALSO!!! viasat will send ya a box in the mail for the equipment. you will have to take the satellite, tria, and the modem into the box. then you just ship it back to them with the paid postage that is already on the box already :3

OR!!! You can not do all of that stuff... and just let it go to collections agents and let it build up and it goes to your credr score :3

good luck!!! i wish you the best of luck in hopes of finding your problems and figuring out what is wrong!
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 250 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
This was not my understanding. My understanding is that the early termination fee is $15/month remaining in your contract. What I was told and read is that the $300 was a fee you could pay upfront to avoid having to pay an early termination fee.

This is only a good deal if you thought you might terminate in the first 4 months as after 4 months your termination fee of $15/month remaining is less than $300. Do you have a reference to where it says $300 plus $15/unused month?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
The $300 is only if you fail to return the necessary equipment.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 250 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
That sounds more like it. In that case the $300 isn’t really an early termination fee it is a “I’m too lazy to return the leased equipment” fee.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Or if in need of a $300 paper weight... regardless you get to keep the dish itself which can be re-purposed as a bird bath or wok.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I use DTV ON DEMAND on my unlimited SILVER plan, the catch is, you can't stream it, you need to choose the program, set it to record, then wait for that to happen. Voila, I get my show in full HD and, no buffering, just have to let it record first.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Strange how you can get HD when the Silver plan doesn't technically support HD.

I guess the video resolution downgrader doesn't work for all streaming :).

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Nope even says so in the unlimited data policy:

"Not all video sources are identifiable and some video sources may stream at a higher quality."

Maybe DTV uses a different source to record? Maybe the DT recorder doesn't care about buffering and ignores it as well as the throttled speed? Who knows?

What does PlayOn Desktop do if you setup Netflix for HD and record? If I turn Vide Data Saver for Youtube and attempt force a 1080P resolution it can't keep up on the reduced "480" speed while streaming - spinning wheel go to go round...

Set it to auto or 480p or less on Youtube - no problem.

Really just curious whether the recorder is smart enough to not record the spinning wheel - I would hope so even though recording would take longer than the actual video ;) 
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hulu is back up and running on Playon now fyi! Just tried it and it is now working, it has been down for a few days. Back to recording Buffy now! lol
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
For the wheel spinning @ Old Labs, it does record it btw. Same for the line on Hulu when buffing.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Thanks.