Unlimited plans?

• Question
  • Updated 7 days ago
  • Acknowledged
We are still on the 10GB plan. But decided to check out what our coop is currently offering. they have the Bronze 12($65), Silver 25($90) and Gold 30($140). I really dont want to spend anymore. But tired of staying up til 2am to use the internet. Kids have moved out, so its just dh and I. The 10GB last us roughly 10 days. Tempted to switch to the Bronze 12. Stayed away when they first came out as it didnt seem to be any better. But have there been improvements?
How can I check my beam to see how congested it is? We are not on a contract, does anything change if we 'upgrade'? and how does the built in wi-fi work?
Photo of Val

Val

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of John Blount

John Blount

• 63 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I switched to the Silver25 when it became available, never been throttled. We stream a lot. Youtube TV, Netflix, etc. If it is available to you I suggest you jump in. I do not know how to check for congestion, sorry.
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 138 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Wish I had answers but signed up to follow and see what others experiences have been. We switched from our original 10GB plan to the Liberty12 and now for the first time in over 10 years we are going over our monthly allotment in about 20 days into each month. I am getting reports now from other neighbors who have Hughes unlimited plans. Reports are like a YoYo, A while back they hated Hughes but now they love it. I have always been quite satisfied with Wildblue, Exede and now Viasat but am beginning to think a switch is in order. We don't stream anything or do Netflix and at worst I watch a few youtube music videos per month and blow through all of my data.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3597 Posts
  • 2101 Reply Likes
What is zipcode?
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 138 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
12777 here for me in NY
Photo of Roy Munson

Roy Munson

• 36 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I'm on the 10 gb and rarely go over? I'm a night owl and do not mind the midnight free zone. Turn off auto play for all sights as well as audio. This should help out. Like the midnight videos! :-  )
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3597 Posts
  • 2101 Reply Likes
OP. What is your zip?

The Bronze would give you putrid video resolution. If you stream, I dont think you want Bronze.

Your plan suggests that would be Viasat-2. If so, that would require a new 2 year contract.

I would think long and hard about forfeiting a free zone.
Photo of Val

Val

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We dont stream so not worried about that. Would just like to be able to do what i do at night during the day, and not have to wait til midnight to do it. and maybe actually have more then 10GB before we are slowed.
zip code 56479
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 361 Posts
  • 198 Reply Likes
The Bronze plan I believe only gives you 40GB of data before you get prioritized, meaning it will probably be quite slow during times of congestion. I used a lot more than that every month back when I had the Classic 10 plan with the late night free zone.
Photo of Val

Val

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ya not sure why I was thinking it was 60. But we don't use a lot during lnfz. Just not sure its worth the extra $13 to be able to use more. Not be tied to night hours.
Photo of Val

Val

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok so just heard back from my CO OP. As to whether I can get the bronze pack in my area.
They said I can and it doesn't require a new contract and I don't need a new modem.
From what I have read others have had to get a different modem. Is the router not one with the modem? They didn't mention that either.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4005 Reply Likes
Any of the modems would in theory support a Bronze 12 Mbps plan (or any other up to 12 Mbps plan that Viasat may dream up). For awhile, one of the NRTC coops in my area was offering Bronze, Silver and Gold 12 Mbps plans (not any more however). When I called and asked, I specifically asked if it included "built-in wifi" because there was no mention of it on their site (I.e. a modem/router combo device and specifically the Viasat WiFi Gateway). They said no - I assumed NRTC as a wholesaler might have the flexibility to offer "Unlimited" plans on Viasat-1. As a result, I didn't feel like going through the hassle of signing up with a new NRTC member organization and a new account for the lure and promise of unlimited on an already crowded Viasat-1 beam. Now that member organization is offering the same plans mentioned in your original post except they specifically state "built-in wifi" which could be the Exede WiFi modem I suppose (that doesn't require an installer visit either if upgrading - NRTC members in my area charge for installer visits anyway so there's no need for a new 24 month commit except for new customers) .  

My NRTC member wasn't and isn't offering them so I remain on a Liberty plan, however if they were I would have asked whether it was simply an administrative change or required an installer visit to point at Viasat-2 along with the newer triangular prism shaped modem.

Regardless, make sure they know which of the older modems (combo or stand alone modem) you currently have - you'd only get built-in wifi with the combo Exede Wifi Modem or WiFi Gateway Gateway. In my case, it makes little difference - I'd opt for my own router anyway regardless of Viasat device provided.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3597 Posts
  • 2101 Reply Likes
I would think long and hard about giving up a free zone for a Bronze "unlimited" Plan that isnt even on Viasat-2
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
well, if 10 GB lasts you 10 days, then 40 GB should last a month at least. If not being able to stream at anything but the lowest possible resolution (usually blurry on anything larger than a tablet screen) is okay for you then, I think Unlimited Bronze would serve you well.

If however streaming is your main use of the internet (including YouTube videos and those on social media sites) then you will want at least Silver, and even that is standard definition MAX NO HD.
Photo of Val

Val

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thats what i was thinking. But it  depends on how much we use during LNFZ. I hate staying up til 2am, to do some things.  And of course i wasnt even thinking of windows updates and when i update my phone.  DH said their is a 4 GB update is computer needs :(
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3566 Posts
  • 2084 Reply Likes
You dont have to stay up late to use the free zone. Work with download schedulers and implement other methods.

My personally, I wouldn't pay more money for something that would restrict my video resolution. Of course there are ways around that too!
Photo of Val

Val

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What I have to do online during lnfz isn't something I can set to do. But I do have it set for things like windows updates.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3566 Posts
  • 2084 Reply Likes
Depends how much data you eat during the free zone. Depending on the beam, once the "priortity" data is gone on the "unlimited" plan, speeds can be abysmal during primetime.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 39 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
You could call your local Dealer(s) and ask if you can test drive their Showroom Account.

Horses mouth so to speak