Unlimited plans

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Is there a data cap on the unlimited plans where after a certain amount of data you get throttled?
Photo of John Oakes

John Oakes

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Throttled? Technically no - although detected video streams are throttled. There is a data usage threshold that applies to each unlimited plan after which you are subjected to prioritization behind other customers who have not exceeded their data usage threshold.

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf

During peak congested periods it's basically the result as being throttled except speeds should be better during non-peak congested periods.       

At least that's the way it's supposed to work ;)

(Edited)
Photo of Ricky5

Ricky5

• 16 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
You are throttled to increase the speeds of others on priority. That’s why it seems faster when on priority.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Try to understand the difference between throttling and (de)prioritization.

While the result is the same, they are quite different and there are different ways of coping with each. Not that it will make you feel any better about it.

https://www.wirefly.com/guides/throttling-vs-data-deprioritization

Although the link only mentions wireless carriers it's the same for unlimited satellite data plans. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Whoever scribbled that article hasn't figured out what "8 megabytes per second" means, nor what "128 kilobytes per second," and other cited speeds.

I'll take 128 kilobytes per second when throttled....128 KB = 1.024 Mbit
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Care to comment on the difference between throttling and prioritization, Jab? How about the impact of a preemptive queuing strategy on prioritization? I'm sure you'll educate us; but try to find something that Ricky5 can understand when what we'rer talking about is "fake" unlimited plans that both throttle detected video streams and prioritize behind other users who haven't exceeded their usage thresholds. Perhaps this one is more to your liking:

https://www.billpolice.com/wireless-billinwith your answer..g/throttle-vs-prioritize-whats-the-difference/

Let me correct those two errors for you Jab , 8 Mbps and 128 Kbps - feel better now?

Now provide the OP or Ricky5 with your answer... or mayb e you just chalk it up to "IT fiddling".
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Onus is upon Viasat....not my job!

Disclosure Instructions for ISPs - ....The disclosure must include accurate information regarding the ISP’s network management practices, performance characteristics, and commercial terms of its broadband Internet access services, as required by paragraphs 218 – 223 of the Restoring Internet Freedom Order.
Photo of Phillip Freeman

Phillip Freeman

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Dial up is faster that throttled
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Did you see this?

• Service Description.  A general description of the service, including the service technology, expected and actual access speed and latency, and the suitability of the service for real-time applications.
  • Impact of Non-Broadband Internet Access Service Data Services.  If applicable, what non-broadband Internet access service data services, if any, are offered to end users, and whether and how any non-broadband Internet access service data services may affect the last-mile capacity available for, and the performance of, broadband Internet access service.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO...difference between throttling and prioritization

I would have to read VS's fine print...but if all 150gigers are running less than 1Mbps during "extended primetime" period,  this could be defined as throttling, or IT blunders.

Being on Classic Exede-5, several days, whoever/whatever severely clamped speeds down...despite having about 5 more gigs to use. Since this experience may be similar to 150gigers, this suggest traffic re-programming via inexperienced programmer, imho.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Onus is upon Viasat....not my job!
In a public forum that is customer to customer self-help, yes it would be your job to provide answers. Or just provide tractor  and petroliana pics... herer's your chance another pilgrim just arrived that doesn't know the difference between throttling and prioritization,

Did you see it?

Yes, I saw it and that's exactly what the published network management policy at legal provides - it's not coincidence that that was first published with the initial adoption of net neutrality under Wheeler.

I would have to read VS's fine print...
You can read all about the 150 GB Viasat-1 policies over at legal too but basically it says they are subject to prioritization behind other subscribers who have not exceeded their thresholds at any time regardless of how much data they have actually used. Seems pretty clear to me.

I had slower than normal "speeds" too over the weekend - it passed and I didn't need to jump to conclusions and take one speed test out of context. But perhaps you too should complain to NRTC, you are their customer also. In fact Viasat doesn't even need to support you here or anywhere else, NRTC does.

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I can't imagine the NRTC is too happy with what is going on either. I wonder how long their association with Viasat will continue? It goes back to the Wildblue days I know.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
My member organization is already building out their own land-based alternative. They could care less as long as I keep sending therm my check each month. Unfortunately I'm well outside their geographic region. Novecnet is still pushing Viasat in this area but Viasat-2 doesn't cover me:

http://novecnet.com/plans/

NRTC itself is still talking up Viasat-3.

My installer no longer handles Viasat installs - gave up up on them - says he'll only do NRTC installs - they pay better.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I just know that in 2012 or so a five year deal was signed. This was announced. So after 5 years IDK if there is a year to year renewal or what. My original NRTC provider dumped Viasat years ago. I know my current one has consolidated properly 20 former NRTC providers.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

>they are subject to prioritization behind other subscribers

If user findings here are true for all, VS has warped the meaning of "prioritization," unless it has been defined.  FCC notes, "expected and actual access speed and latency..."  I believe VS wants more commercial aircraft onboard, and has squeezed part of the consumer base.

>should complain to NRTC, you are their customer also.

When Exede-5 came, I moved to a different beam, and it was excellent...then came the aircraft and "IT" shifting bandwidth, and speeds dropped...then it got excellent.  I can consistently hit 11Mbps/3Mbps+ on Fast.com.  The other day, I suspect IT slipped in 150GB's traffic policy, and did make notice of this over there, which was corrected.  Months before, they did engage video saver without permission...several times.

Currently, I'm evaluating VZW's Unlimited on a Jetpack...consistent 30Mbps/3Mbps, but this fiber served tower on a rural road has few customers, most likely due to most homes having fiber to their homes.  720p vids without issues.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
We will compare Verizon performance in a couple weeks Jab. I need to hammer the crap out of it and see how it does. But then again, if I get 1Mbps it will be better than anything Viasat can provide me during primetime.

I do not ask for much, just usable speeds. When you get below 500kbps, that isn't very usable.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

VZW Prepaid Unlimited ($70/month) - My expectation...10GB, then if network congestion, prioritization.  Other forum speak indicates one TB plus usage, but these folks are using fiber-fed towers within higher populated cities.

As noted to Gwen, this post suggests AT&T is not throttling their business plans here, AT&T Traffic shaping equipment has improved with time...I rather suspect these carriers today can offer Unlimited with prioritization, if they choose.  MVNOs are "penny pinchers," and will not offer the same experiences as big carriers can.

Although big carriers make money from MVNOs, they have been loosing better paying customers, prepaid/postpaid.  VZW's transition to LTE, as with other carriers, means more total bandwidth for a give frequency band. For VZW/AT&T, they do note they might address heavy bandwidth consumers...but I'm not aware of someone getting busted yet.  Myself, I suspect less than GB/day usage averaged.

Video, most watched sites will be throttled down.  I'm in a location where my packets can be sent to KCMO, Overland Park, Wichita, or Denver. 720p is promised, but I know this can be higher on other less traveled sites.  I'm using a signal booster, so latency would be  a bit lower without it...not much.  If a tower has MIMO, a signal booster will not pass on this MIMO signal, so speeds will be slower.

Again, your tower's load, if fiber connected, your signal (well under -100 dBm), will determine what's possible.  VZW has a number of network centers, and I suspect, each has to be configured.  So, YMMV with each center.  Using Denver center, my DuraXV-LTE flip-phone does about 11Mbps UL, but about 3.7Mbps DL.

Taken just after 6 PM today

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Use a few hundred GB's of data (if you can), and find out ;)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
I’ve spoken with both local reps and corporate Verizon (well as far up as I can get). Verizon doesn’t offer anything other than 20+ GB of top speeds before you can be deprioritized on unlimited plans. Totally varies on when the throttle kicks in. I myself have been hard capped after 22GB on my phone. Less than 1Mbps after that. Actually had to call to get them to “unthrottle” me once even though data reset. YEMV, but buyer be informed. I like Verizon, but I don’t see anything offered locally that can fulfill my needs.

Not sure about ATT, but their coverage is more spotty locally than a leopard.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

VZW...talking about unlimited prepaid data plans, not cellphone data plans.  People are getting one TB in some locations.   Can't say where the cards will fall, but apparently, if tower is not congested, one can put the metal to the pedal.

I would not complain with 20GB...if this does happen.  Maybe VZW operation centers are not uniform in programming.  Contacting VZW CSRs, and lower whit collar folks may represent hearsay, of what they last knew.  Talking to the programmers would be best.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

This is what my prepaid unlimited plan indicates when logged into my account
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Might be right. Not saying that anyone isn’t getting truly unlimited.

Just saying I made a special trip today to the local Verizon store, then I called corporate. 22GB is all a jet pack can expect around here. Also, I added that I personally have been hard throttled by Verizon.

Postpaid or added to mobile plan, I was told it didn’t matter. Research on the internet said otherwise. Not sure I’d cancel ViaSat without giving it the old college try.

It’s America, so to each their own.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Mine also says this...

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Then elsewhere it says this....

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

Prepaid...not postpaid...forum speak says there's a difference
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Ok. You got me. Prepaid. 1-0 Jab.

Still what I meant though. Verizon can/will throttle you. ViaSat worked well until it didn’t too.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

Just took a screen shot
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley.... Verizon can/will throttle you

Throttle or prioritize (if congested) after a data amount has been used...that is the question.  So far, prioritize seems to be the VZW response.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
I give up.

Nowhere in the paperwork does Verizon reserve the right to screw customers at anytime. Guess they messed up this time.

Does anyone remember the old unlimited plans that Verizon changed the terms on years later?

Point being I read the internet reports, made a visit, and then a phone call. Verizon talks a good game (I use them and enjoy the service), but don’t think you’ll have TB after TB to consume without consequence.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

Yes, VZW, like the others, have a heavy usage clause....but so far, these users have not been busted.

No, I'm not planning on using or attempting one TB of usage...maybe 30GB, plus/minus.  I do have a 150GB option with another carrier.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
30GB you’d probably be ok. 1TB....probably not.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Those that are bothered by this post, simply don't read it.
@bradley, after 150gb+ used, about 8:30pm

https://www.speedtest.net/android/470...
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
If anyone is “bothered” by my posts, they should check themselves before they wreck themselves.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
There definitely is a difference between Verizon prepaid plans and the plans you get normal subs through. I have read the differences. Obviously, there is no such thing as "truly" unlimited, but I bet I wont get speeds below 500kbps when using 2 5GB in my usage cycle either :).

Verizon, AT&T, etc. also have the ability to add more capacity a lot easier than say Viasat, which needs years and millions to put a satellite in space to add capacity. But for Mexico, third world countries, and air travel, it will be great!
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
True on all accounts.

25GB each month is truly nothing though. You’ll always be happy if that’s all you use with Verizon.

Xbox game pass users, torrent abusers, etc......we need a little more ;).
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yea. I might have to keep both systems. But having a system where I can do casual browsing and internet activities during primetime and then have Viasat do the heavy lifting at night. It will cost more, but then no more than moving to a new Viasat plan. And I won't be giving Viasat any additional $$$$ beyond what I already pay.

Payback is a...
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
Good movie. Always liked Mel Gibson.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I could also quote that old Klingon proverb, revenge is a dish best served cold.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
So are shrimp;).
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet...Klingon proverb

Reliant Vs Enterprise

Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Klingon Opera? I'm out of here!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Best Star Trek ever! They remade it years later with the reboot. Hate the reboot.

For the original, live long and prosper.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

Verizon corporate media relations has confirmed with us, Jetpacks on this plan have absolutely no high speed data caps and are at full 4G/LTE speeds. 

Nov 15 Update: And this has been further confirmed by hundreds of successful activations.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
The catch is that these prepaid plans are always subject to network management, meaning that in times of network congestion they may be temporarily deprioritized relative to other traffic.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You mean what Viasat is doing every evening to all plans that offer 150GB of priority data?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Relax: STAR TREK CONCERT | Prague | 2-11-2016

Not on my tower....YMMV