Unlimited plans

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Is there a data cap on the unlimited plans where after a certain amount of data you get throttled?
Photo of John Oakes

John Oakes

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Throttled? Technically no - although detected video streams are throttled. There is a data usage threshold that applies to each unlimited plan after which you are subjected to prioritization behind other customers who have not exceeded their data usage threshold.

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf

During peak congested periods it's basically the result as being throttled except speeds should be better during non-peak congested periods.       

At least that's the way it's supposed to work ;)

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I just know that in 2012 or so a five year deal was signed. This was announced. So after 5 years IDK if there is a year to year renewal or what. My original NRTC provider dumped Viasat years ago. I know my current one has consolidated properly 20 former NRTC providers.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

>they are subject to prioritization behind other subscribers

If user findings here are true for all, VS has warped the meaning of "prioritization," unless it has been defined.  FCC notes, "expected and actual access speed and latency..."  I believe VS wants more commercial aircraft onboard, and has squeezed part of the consumer base.

>should complain to NRTC, you are their customer also.

When Exede-5 came, I moved to a different beam, and it was excellent...then came the aircraft and "IT" shifting bandwidth, and speeds dropped...then it got excellent.  I can consistently hit 11Mbps/3Mbps+ on Fast.com.  The other day, I suspect IT slipped in 150GB's traffic policy, and did make notice of this over there, which was corrected.  Months before, they did engage video saver without permission...several times.

Currently, I'm evaluating VZW's Unlimited on a Jetpack...consistent 30Mbps/3Mbps, but this fiber served tower on a rural road has few customers, most likely due to most homes having fiber to their homes.  720p vids without issues.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
We will compare Verizon performance in a couple weeks Jab. I need to hammer the crap out of it and see how it does. But then again, if I get 1Mbps it will be better than anything Viasat can provide me during primetime.

I do not ask for much, just usable speeds. When you get below 500kbps, that isn't very usable.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

VZW Prepaid Unlimited ($70/month) - My expectation...10GB, then if network congestion, prioritization.  Other forum speak indicates one TB plus usage, but these folks are using fiber-fed towers within higher populated cities.

As noted to Gwen, this post suggests AT&T is not throttling their business plans here, AT&T Traffic shaping equipment has improved with time...I rather suspect these carriers today can offer Unlimited with prioritization, if they choose.  MVNOs are "penny pinchers," and will not offer the same experiences as big carriers can.

Although big carriers make money from MVNOs, they have been loosing better paying customers, prepaid/postpaid.  VZW's transition to LTE, as with other carriers, means more total bandwidth for a give frequency band. For VZW/AT&T, they do note they might address heavy bandwidth consumers...but I'm not aware of someone getting busted yet.  Myself, I suspect less than GB/day usage averaged.

Video, most watched sites will be throttled down.  I'm in a location where my packets can be sent to KCMO, Overland Park, Wichita, or Denver. 720p is promised, but I know this can be higher on other less traveled sites.  I'm using a signal booster, so latency would be  a bit lower without it...not much.  If a tower has MIMO, a signal booster will not pass on this MIMO signal, so speeds will be slower.

Again, your tower's load, if fiber connected, your signal (well under -100 dBm), will determine what's possible.  VZW has a number of network centers, and I suspect, each has to be configured.  So, YMMV with each center.  Using Denver center, my DuraXV-LTE flip-phone does about 11Mbps UL, but about 3.7Mbps DL.

Taken just after 6 PM today

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Use a few hundred GB's of data (if you can), and find out ;)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
I’ve spoken with both local reps and corporate Verizon (well as far up as I can get). Verizon doesn’t offer anything other than 20+ GB of top speeds before you can be deprioritized on unlimited plans. Totally varies on when the throttle kicks in. I myself have been hard capped after 22GB on my phone. Less than 1Mbps after that. Actually had to call to get them to “unthrottle” me once even though data reset. YEMV, but buyer be informed. I like Verizon, but I don’t see anything offered locally that can fulfill my needs.

Not sure about ATT, but their coverage is more spotty locally than a leopard.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Best Star Trek ever! They remade it years later with the reboot. Hate the reboot.

For the original, live long and prosper.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley

Verizon corporate media relations has confirmed with us, Jetpacks on this plan have absolutely no high speed data caps and are at full 4G/LTE speeds. 

Nov 15 Update: And this has been further confirmed by hundreds of successful activations.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
The catch is that these prepaid plans are always subject to network management, meaning that in times of network congestion they may be temporarily deprioritized relative to other traffic.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
You mean what Viasat is doing every evening to all plans that offer 150GB of priority data?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1155 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Relax: STAR TREK CONCERT | Prague | 2-11-2016

Not on my tower....YMMV