unlimited plan

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I have the silver plan. When you reach the data thresh hold on unlimited plan? They slow it down so  that you cant even browse on your computer.
These guys advertise it as unlimited but ATT cell phone plans gives you more data.
Dose anybody know of rural internet company that gives you what they promise?
Photo of Dan Gale

Dan Gale

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
No. But unlimited doesn't mean unlimited unfortunately. This is true for most internet providers. The wording is basically a marketing ploy.

Curious what version of the plan you got? In the early days they offered 150GB of priority data. Not bad. Then they severely cranked down the priority data limits.

The bottom line is once you are put of priority data, all bets are off on what kind of performance you will get.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
No, I don't know of any.   I came here from Verizon and their "unlimited" plan slows hotspots down to 3G after 11 Gig which is ~500k speeds and unusable to surf the web.  Frontier is truly unlimited for $29 DSL but their hi speed internet is 1.2 Mbit down.  I have to be careful where I am to make a ATT call as coverage is spotty on my property so haven't even attempted ATT hotspot.  I'm happy w Viasat Silver 25-150 plan but I use 30 Gig of my 150 Gig allotment so no experience w slowdowns after reaching the threshold.   I'm still waiting on that gubbamint promise of bringing hi speed internet and cable TV to rural areas.  Even then read the fine print, don't believe the marketing hype or what sales people tell you.  
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Harvey if you can get Verizon check out there jetpack prepaid plan, I have it and it is true unlimited and my speeds never go under 5mps during peak hours and around 20mps during the day but this is going to change depending on location your in. I still use Viasat liberty 12 to download or record my streaming content. I got Verizon for gaming and downloading my games.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Is this it?   Does it also require $30 activation and $20/mo line access fee?  Not available for machine to machine services so I guess not unlimited for hotspots?   I'm sure there is a cap where you get slowed down.  Verizon has no truly unlimited.  I can't find the cap for hospots - it used to be 11 Gig.  

• $70 Unlimited monthly plan - Includes:
    • Unlimited Talk & Text to the US
    • Unlimited Talk to Mexico & Canada
    • Unlimited Text to over 200 international destinations, including Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico
    • Unlimited high speed data**
    • Save $5/month with Auto Pay enrollment
    • Save $20/month with Prepaid Family Account

You can also purchase additional data through My Verizon if you reach your high speed data limit during the month (not applicable on Prepaid Unlimited).

For more details, go to our Prepaid Shop page.

Video streams up to 480p for smartphones and 1080p for tablets and Jetpacks. We may prioritize your data behind other customers during times/places of network congestion.
*Available on capable devices.

**Not available for machine-to-machine services.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
addition from FAQ's:  

Can I use Mobile Hotspot on Prepaid Unlimited?

Mobile Hotspot isn't included on Prepaid Unlimited. If using Mobile Hotspot is important to you, consider one of our other prepaid monthly plans or a standard unlimited plan, like Above Unlimited.  

If you're able to get signed up for this you've slipped through the cracks.  
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Not those, go to prepaid and scroll down till you see Tablet and Jetpack plans.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
The Jetpack costs $49.99 and no extra costs to to activate or anything. And yes it is true unlimited, I have used over 600gb so far and it is still going strong. these are new plans that started in early November and not many people know of it since there is not much advertising of it. Once you find it you will be happy trust me lol
(Edited)
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
I finally found the plan hidden away at the bottom of the screen.  Thanx.   Do they add on a $20 monthly connection fee?  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
That would be the line fee. I would say almost certainly yes.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
No fee just $65 with auto pay per month. And the great thing is take it with you wherever you go if you want long as you get vz signal your good to go.
(Edited)
Photo of Dan Gale

Dan Gale

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have silver plan $100/month with a threshold of 60 gig. they say I used 140 gig so far this month with 2 desktops, 1 lap top, nobody at home all day and no video streaming. my slowed speeds are less than 1mbps. totally unusable!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1776 Posts
  • 1108 Reply Likes
If the PCs have Windows 10 installed, is "Delivery Optimization" turned off, or at least set to "PCs on my local network"?  If not, your computers could be feeding updates to other computers on the network, but only while they're on, of course. 

Also, do you possibly have a satellite TV receiver connected to your ViaSat service, like a DirecTV Genie/DVR or a Dish Hopper?  These can burn through a lot of data, even when not actively streaming anything.   

One last thing, for the PCs (Windows only) you might want to consider installing Glasswire to monitor their data usage.  It's free, and you'd need to install it on each one, but it will monitor every bit of data going in and out of the computer it's installed on. and it will tell you just what is using the data, as in programs, apps, or processes, and how much each thing is using.  It's a VERY handy tool.    

Edit:  I see now that Old Labs already mentioned Glasswire below.  
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Dan can you get a Verizon signal? If so check out the prepaid Jetpack plan for $65, it is true unlimited data.
Photo of VinylHanger

VinylHanger

• 55 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
What kind of speeds do you get.  I assume it is full 4G?  Have you been throttled at all?

We finally have a Verizon tower that we can actually see from our house.  It's like 2002 has finally arrived at our house. LOL.  Anyway, like most here, we are only on Viasat because we have no choice.  Now it looks like we may have a choice.

It is a whole new world, just being able to talk on teh phone while driving to the house and not have to stop 2 miles away so we don't lose the signal.  Also, being able to make calls from the house is so much less stressful.

So a couple questions.  Is the cheapest Jetpack good enough for us to stream two tv's, game on two computers and surf at the same time?  Probably not all at the same time, but a mix of all of the above.  Or do we need to get the 199 dollar one.  One Viasat payment would nearly cover it, but I don't want to spend if we don't need to.

Also, how much area coverage do you get and will a Netgear wi-fi extender work with the jetpack?

Thank-you for those who brought this to our attention.  I too had to search around to find the unlimited plan.  Heck for 65 bucks a month, I could get two of them if needed and still save money.

Also, if we already have a Verizon regular contract plan, will we be able to get a prepaid jetpack?  Or maybe put it in another name?

Lots of questions for sure.  However, I figure that if anybody understands our excitement at a possible better internet solution, it is the folks on this board.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Hey Viny I wiill do my best to answer your questions.

The plan is deprioritized at all times so if the area you live in is congested your speeds may be slow, there is no throttling of speeds.

It is 4g and my speeds will be different than your cause my area is not that that congested, I have seen a max of 50mps or so but average in the 20's most of the day and peak hours it gets to be around 5mps is the lowest I have seen, uploads stay around the high 30's for me and broadcasting is no trouble at all while I game.

The cheap Jetpack can have 8 devices connected at one time so yes you can stream more than 2 tv's at a time and game as long as you have great speeds.  My ping while gaming is 20ms but if I have my tv streaming at the same time it goes up to 80ms or high as 120 or so if someone else is streaming too.

The $200 Jetpack has more bells and whistles but for what I have seen the $50 one does ok for me.

For the wi-fi extender working with the Jetpack I don't know on that so you may want to look into it. 

If you have a current plan with them I would think you could have both since it is prepaid but would check the faq's on there site to be sure.

I got the plan a few days after it came out and thought i would try it a try to see if it was worth it with the deprioritized being thrown in the plan, so I said ok I will put in $130 to get he Jetpack and plan If it don't work oh well at least I tried right? All I can say is boy was it worth it. Viasat has been good to me so I'm keeping them for the time being to see how this other holds up for a few months.

Hope this helps you out Viny and good luck.

Photo of Dan Gale

Dan Gale

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm going to see what happens when it resets but I run a business out of my home and can't have them shutting it down. I'm going to call every morning and see where this usage is coming from.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Viasat will be unable to provide you with sufficient detail regarding your usage - that's your responsibility. They really don't know what applications are consuming your data, nor should they from a privacy perspective. If they provide anything it will likely be a very general categorized breakdown of your usage which may provide you with some clues and you can then guess what's causing any unexpected usage.

If you don't want to guess while understanding exactly what's going on, you need to track and monitor your usage independently using a router capable of doing that or by installing a robust traffic analysis application (e.g. Glasswire) on each of your devices (or use both approaches for even greater detail). Routers are preferable since with robust traffic analysis and monitoring can break down utilization by device and targeted hosts (or apps as they're sometimes called - not to be confused with application) - the router can also detect devices that may be unknowingly connecting to your service. Traffic monitor applications such as Glasswire give you all of the details about what's going on on each device they are installed upon.

For example, here's a sample of the information my router has collected since my reset date (and allows me to drill down and see exactly what device, where, and when my data was used (click to enlarge):

For even greater detail on each device, I'll drill down using Glasswire when needed.

With that analysis in hand, there are probably some concrete steps that can be take to trim some of the fat and bloat common with today's web (browser, ad blocking, blacklisting abusive java scripts, controlling automatic updates, controlling video auto play or preload, etc.) 

The only thing I can say with certainty is that my tracking efforts confirm the Viasat usage count but YMMV and eliminating some of the unwanted bloat allows me to stay well within the priority data most months. My startegy is very simple - preserve as much priority data as possible by eliminating bloat and when I do go over shift my usage to non-peak usage periods.
(Edited)
Photo of Dan Gale

Dan Gale

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, I dont know how I'm using it but I know its being used when I'm not on the computer.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 98 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Are the pc's left on with a browser open?   Leaving them open on a weather site or news site keeps refreshing every 10 sec whether you're there to see it or not.  Switching to the Viasat browser keps a lot of the autoload content (read popups and videos) from loading and cuts down on usage and adds speed. You might try it if you haven't.   And for sure shut them down when done.  It has helped me. 

Photo of Dan Gale

Dan Gale

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2660 Posts
  • 1386 Reply Likes
That many computers pulling Windows updates can blow through some serious data.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Viasat will be able to tell you in generalities how your data is being consumed (i.e. gaming, streaming, etc.).

But you have ate a lot of data (I know you ate unsure why at this point) for a plan with only 60GB of priority data. I can see why you are getting slowed down.
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
It is a PAIN that we need to go through this!  Some programs and devices are easy to schedule or disable auto updates while others are nearly or totally impossible.  It is amazing as others have said what add on programs you would never suspect suck the data like vampires.

We recently purchased a "state of the art" wireless all in one laser printer with all the bells and whistles.  That thing is CONSTANTLY going online searching for updates and telling the company web site whether I am low on toner etc so they can hammer me with requests to order from them.  I have yet to find any way to limit, schedule or disable its internet access so it sits here powered off until we need to print or scan something.

Regardless, that is one disclaimer that is completely FALSE and they know it!  Whatever fancy term they use for it, data restriction, throttling, whatever, they state your speed will "slow during peak usage hours" and I have seem claims in print of "2 to 5 Mbps" preceded by words like "as low as" "occasionally" when in reality "peak usage" here is pretty much 24/7, and when restricted I NEVER see speeds over 1 Mbps!  My last check 12/11 during restriction was 0.28 Mbps.

There is a huge difference between "slower" and "unusable!"
Photo of Dan Gale

Dan Gale

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Exactly what I am seeing, slowed to unusable speeds
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I have one of those printers, only way I found to get it to stop using data was to cable it to  one computer and, disable wifi printing- you need it printed, it has to be on a computer that can share with the LAN server that has the printer. Can't print from phones or tablets here.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2660 Posts
  • 1387 Reply Likes
I recently purchased an iPhone. I tried to install a program using my cellular connection that was over 150 mb. A message popped up saying I couldn’t download the program unless I connected to WiFi. Good riddens.
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Marketing in our area of north Florida, and I am talking materials printed by the company themselves not dealers, promoted UNLIMITED STREAMING VIDEO at a given resolution for the package you selected.  UNLIMITED.... if you cannot stream the video then it is NOT UNLIMITED.  It is a bundle of lies and HUNDREDS of customers in this area were lied to.  I have decided to take this to the State of Florida and have talked to the State Attorneys office and division of Consumer affairs -- which BOTH were already well aware of what this company is and has been doing.  I am in the process of contacting customers in this area, by stopping at their homes, to possibly get a class action together for deceptive marketing.  I have HAD ENOUGH of getting ripped off and lied to.  You hear this VIASAT, we are not going to stand for this nonsense anymore.  My service is running at 1/4 of a meg and is now WORTHLESS.  I can not even browse the web.  The only website I can use is this one.... go figure.   I have nothing by time on my hands and I will spend every waking moment of it to set this wrong right.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
"You agree that by entering into this Agreement, you and Viasat each waive the right to participate in a class action and/or a trial by jury."

If you have or had Viasat service, you signed it. Can't do the class action thing.

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/customer-agreement.pdf
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2652 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
That’s pretty funny right there.
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
That is simply NOT TRUE.  Hiding behind a TOS does not give a company blanket protection, especially in cases of when say fraud or misrepresentation has taken place.   I can point you to numerous CA suits that have formed when there have been TOS or contract clauses in place that state you can not participate in a class.

Courts don't like it when companies try to hide behind small print.  Also, many times companies don't meet the minimum disclosure requirements when presenting that "small text".  It must be of certain font size and it must also actually be DISCLOSED and PRESENTED to the customer.  

Doesn't matter, the way this is most likely going to go anyhow is govt enforcement and not even require a civil CA to get something done.  It would be worth discussing with the folks at Morgan and Morgan, however. ;)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2652 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
I knew speeds weren’t guaranteed both times I signed up for service because I read the contract BEFORE making a commitment.

I had to cancel my service five years ago due to financial problems and I knew about the early termination fee because I read the contract BEFORE signing up for service. I paid the fee and didn’t complain.

It’s amazing how people don’t read stuff before making agreements. Stuff like this is what contributed to the 2008 housing crisis.
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
DECEPTION.  And they DID market UNLIMITED VIDEO STREAMING and reducing a customers service to 1/4 of 1 mbps does NOT allow video streaming of any kind.  No, it was a lie.  I am done with you.  You are clearly a company cheerleader, they could set children on fire in a field and I think you would be OK with it.  Please, return to your boot licking and leave me alone.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2652 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
Nope. Not a company cheerleader at all. You simply didn’t read the part about speeds not being guaranteed and you don’t understand how priority data works or why it is necessary.

Hang around this forum a little and you will see I do criticize Viasat once in a while.

Easy Care is the one thing I do not agree with. If you are leasing equipment, you should not be financially responsible for repairs. Viasat doesn’t allow us to own our equipment yet they feel we should be responsible for maintenance. I feel that is wrong.
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Stephen.  I am an engineer.  I have been in IT, electronics and communications for 30+ years, to INCLUDE satcom for govt purposes.  I know exactly how this stuff all works.  This is not a technology issue for me.

I am talking about the MARKETING MATERIALS and what was on the COMPANY WEBSITE and what was represented to the customer.

In this area at least they MOST CERTAINLY DID (which even internal emails can document)  market UNLIMITED VIDEO STREAMING at a resolution selected by the package you picked.

The entire thing was so that you could watch ALL THE TV YOU WANTED without being "inconvenienced" with your "normal" data limits for EVERYTHING ELSE.  It is exactly how it was presented to everyone here.  Are you going to tell HUNDREDS (Thousands) of people here that they were STUPID and that none of them read their TOS?  Lol.  Good luck with that.

I have NOT STATED ONE TIME that the data "as a whole" was unlimited at full speed. NOT ONCE.  What I have stated is that the VIDEO STREAMING, as marketed in this area BOTH by print/signs/mailouts etc AND THE COMPANY WEBSITE when you entered the zip code for this area, represented UNLIMITED VIDEO STREAMING without the caps that were implemented on the rest of the data.

You are just simply wrong.  You don't have the benefit of having all the marketing and research materials in your possession everything that I do, yet you insist on keep stating I am wrong.

Do you have an AGENDA?  I think so.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3065 Posts
  • 1966 Reply Likes
Ed Lingrin wrote " I am an engineer.  I have been in IT, electronics and communications for 30+ years, to INCLUDE satcom for govt purposes.  I know exactly how this stuff all works.  This is not a technology issue for me."

He is very upset with himself for contracting with Viasat without doing his due diligence, or at least taking the time to read the legal documents available on the Viasat.com website regarding service and data allowances. Just reading a sign stuck in someone's lawn, put there by some third party reseller does not necessarily constitute what the Viasat contract conveys.

Good luck with your endeavors with the State of Florida and other government agencies.
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
The State of Florida has ALREADY been looking into NUMEROUS complaints.  There is "no luck" required on my part as I am just one of many.  I am sending them new people every day, however, to add to their list.

Furthermore, these materials were NOT created by a dealer, they were corporate supplied marketing materials.  

I guess you are going to blame the customer too for what was on their WEBSITE (the company itself not a dealer) as well eh?

BTW,  if you have Verizon wireless, for example, I am quite sure that you DID NOT pull down their terms of service and read legal documents before getting service. You can usually have confidence that the company you are dealing with is HONEST and upfront about disclosing their services.  I do have Verizon and I know EXACTLY what do expect. I know EXACTLY what my data limits are as I was never told by Verizon that I can stream UNLIMITED VIDEO.   There are mobile carriers however that DO offer special marketing plans for streaming from certain providers, etc.  I just don't happen to have one of those plans.  However, I DID respond to marketing conducted by ViaSat in my area offering UNLIMITED STREAMING VIDEO SERVICE.

When I responded to the Viasat advertising it was because people, IN MY AREA AT LEAST (North Florida rural market), we targeted for UNLIMITED VIDEO STREAMING.  It was like the "main focus" of the entire marketing campaign.  It was pushed as "we should all be excited here because NOW we can do stuff like stream Netflix like EVERYONE else ALL MONTH LONG without restriction."  You were required to "Select the resolution" that you were willing to be strapped to and off you go.

THE ENTIRE POINT of having the "video resolution" was because they were going to "convert" your video stream to said resolution and allow you to run AS MUCH AS YOU WANTED for the AMOUNT YOU WERE WILLING TO PAY (ie: Service package). 

If it had NOTHING to do with the total data it was based on VIDEO RESOLUTION, otherwise, the entire marketing would have been POINTLESS.  You do not need 60gb or 100gb to stream at DVD quality or 1080i.   It is the link speed that matters not the total data allocation and it was not the link speed marketed but WHAT VIDEO RESOLUTION you were willing to accept.  Hence, your CONVERTED VIDEO resolution.  

So unless YOU live in this area and watched the marketing campaigns that took place here over MANY MANY MONTHS then you have no grounds to tell me or anyone else from this area what we SHOULD have done or what WAS done.

This issue is not going to just "go away".
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
I understand you are going after the markeing practices of Viasat, which had nothing to do with the terms of service or being a subscriber. So I will give you that.

To think the state will actually take action, well you seem confident, but not sure anything will change.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2442 Posts
  • 2169 Reply Likes
It always amazes me that the self proclaimed "experts at IT and Satellite" are the ones who have the most problems.  You and this "issue" will go away just like all the other people who think they are the Knight in shinning armor that will slay the big bad Viasat and save all of us ignorant subscribers.  But at least you are entertaining....
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Tis the holidays!
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
FTC is in the mix as well.  Thank you for finally addressing my actual point, the marketing.  They offered a real cheap high volume package here in the past (couple years ago) and they so oversold the beam they got themselves into trouble.  This was Exede before Viasat got ahold of them. Now, they did something similar again post Viasat.  I think so many people signed up here that they can't handle the load.  It was funny how all the problems started to develop around 5 pm and hold until near midnight. It went downhill fast from there.  It was not like that at all when the new sat/beam became available here --  then they marketed the area like madmen and oversold it again.  It was a very easy to sell idea here, using Netflix, because there is NO DSL available except in VERY limited spots.  I think now they are trying to figure out how to actually support what they sold -- and now the game is "deny there was any unlimited streaming promotion at all" and hope that enough people drop off that they can mitigate the load.
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Jim, one who has nothing useful to provide, only insults.  
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
So simply show us the marketing materials you're referring to (you can post images here). I see the authorized marketing materials over at the Retailer Support Center. You mention a web site that says unlimited video streaming when you enter a what's the URL.

None of the official sources I can locate state unlimited video streaming and am just curious.

FWIW, it's always been Viasat. Exede was simply a brand name for a product offered by Viasat.   
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2442 Posts
  • 2169 Reply Likes
This should be fun.  " Judge, this all started when Viasat bought out Exede...."
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Yes. I too would like to see what is being marketed there.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2442 Posts
  • 2169 Reply Likes

This is what he posted as "proof".

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2652 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
So let me get this straight. We have an IT engineer who doesn’t understand that video uses priority data.

I was in IT for 15 years, ten as a network engineer before I had enough sense to get out of that rat race. I’m not sure how that is relevant but since we are throwing out credentials I’ve got two college degrees, have been to every continent at least once, each of the 50 states at least once, have bicycled from Jacksonville, Florida to Honey Island, Texas, been to something like 35 countries and my crap was brown this morning.

Credentials do not matter. What matters is I know how to read and don’t expect more than I pay for.
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I am going to say it ONE LAST TIME.  The marketing in our area said that THE VIDEO STREAMING WAS NOT INCLUDED IN THE OVERALL DATA CALCULATION.  It was something marketed to OUR AREA to get people that wanted to use Netflix and such to come on board.

I worked as an intelligence analyst for years and have worked with some pretty advanced tech in my time. I was the inventor of certain encryption systems still in use today as well.  So please, don't even go there.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Doubtful that it was Viasat, but rather one of their retailers - there have been other occurrences of that in the past. All of the authorized marketing materials are available online for download and their formats make them easy to embellish. The retailers have to change the phone numbers and company contact names if applicable to the specific brochure, ad, poster, etc. They then print them themselves locally. 

Posting an example which shows the phone number/contact info would probably settlle the debate.

Inclusion of Video Streaming Data as part of your unlimited data usage threshold has been the policy since their (the unlimited plans) inception just over a year ago now.
(Edited)
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
There was specific marketing designed for targeting the North Florida area because of how absolutely awful the coverage is here for anything.  It was designed to offer unlimited video streaming to people in this area -- based on the resolution desired. Now they have even changed their "data caps" from 150gb to 60gb just because they felt like it.  They have really screwed people over that live in this area.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
No the terms you signed up for are still active.

All Unlimited Plans started out at 150GB when trialed on Viasat-1 last year and earlier this year. Many jumped on them and have buyers remorse now. Once Viasat-2 was placed into service, the original unlimited plans were grandfathered. If you acquired one of those on Viasat-1 the terms are unchanged. The cutoff date for acquiring service was February 13, 2018 as described in Exhibit A of the customer agreement:

https://www.exede.com/documents/master/customer-agreement.pdf

They continue to tweak those plans on a regular basis. Everyone here recognized the foolishness of offering unlimited plans a a satellites that have  total capacities of 140Gbps or 260Gbps depending on which one your now on.

The question I'm looking to answer is who was marketing it in your area, not whether it was marketed - that makes a difference. Dispite claims that you have tyhat evidence, you're reluctant to provide it.  Authorized retailers are beyond the control of Viasat - they're independent. When complaints pile up they lose their authorization. I'm sure Viasat would like to know who those dealers are. Awful internet access isn't limited to North Florida - if I had another option I'd bolt and not look back.

(Edited)
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
It was EVERYWHERE. 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Can't answer the question? Can't provide the evidence? You haven't yet. I'll stop for fear that you'll mistake it for stalking. 
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 940 Posts
  • 482 Reply Likes
Ed, if this is the case, please take a picture of the ad, and send it to us.  If we can see this incorrect advertisement, and figure out who placed it, we can take care of it.  

viasatlistens@viasat.com
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
There are only a few companies around this area that offer this service.  It is easy enough to go back in the local papers and pull the ads too.  It is not my responsibility to do your research if that is what you feel like doing.

And I am fairly sure that for co-op dollars the ad has to be submitted to the company first to get $$$ approved.  I could be wrong but that is usually how that type of stuff goes.
Photo of Ed Lingrin

Ed Lingrin

• 44 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Look, seriously, I have to leave right now anyhow, so I couldn't do that now if I wanted to do so   Maybe later tonight when I get home (and my Internet actually works to the point I can use it) I might post up some of the material.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 780 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes
I have never seen any kind of ad for Exede/Viasat offering unlimited video streaming in the 10+ years I've been a customer.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 780 Posts
  • 484 Reply Likes
I have never seen any kind of ad for Exede/Viasat offering unlimited video streaming in the 10+ years I've been a customer.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2442 Posts
  • 2169 Reply Likes
Of course not.  Ed read what he wanted to see in those adds.  Being an adult means you understand what you are signing.  That's why children aren't held to a contract they sign.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2652 Posts
  • 1383 Reply Likes
Ed wants to accuse Viasat of something but does not want to present any evidence.  In this country, you are still innocent until proven guilty.

Honestly, if there were a plan that offered unlimited video without using up priority data, most people wouldn't need more than 12 gb of priority data.  I would probably consider giving up my Liberty 12 plan if I could get something like that. 

Unfortunately, Viasat doesn't have that type of network capacity so we all have to be big boys and girls and manage how we use our data.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2442 Posts
  • 2169 Reply Likes
That would be a heck of a plan, wouldn't it?  Video streaming not counting toward your data limit. 
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 94 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Ed,  What do you need to go dig for?   Present the same information you turned over to the Fla Attorney Generals Office and Consumer Affairs.   They asked for support of your claim I'm sure.  
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 94 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
Ed,  What do you need to go dig for?   Present the same information you turned over to the Fla Attorney Generals Office and Consumer Affairs.   They asked for support of your claim I'm sure.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2442 Posts
  • 2169 Reply Likes
And Ed, while your at it, please dig up the records of the little old lady that James says gave her modem to the fbi about a year ago now.  The modem is on an agents desk still using data.  As a tax payer, we should have access to this valuable information.
(Edited)
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 94 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
The FBI has been busy using it to download Lois Lerners Emails and Hillarys yoga class Emails.   At .2 mbit they're still waiting.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Dont forget MSNBC and Good Morning America were also going to have features on Viasat (allegedly).
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1750 Posts
  • 1091 Reply Likes
The bottom line is, read the fine print.  If one signs up for a service without doing so it's their own fault when they discover something they didn't know.  

No one should ever agree to a contract without knowing what they're agreeing to, and too many people do.

Should I complain, or even threaten legal action, because I can't buy as many of the K-cup packs on sale as I want to, or should I have read the fine print that says I can't buy more than four?  
(Edited)
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
The problem actually is the term "unlimited data" in itself, THEN using a data cap to reduce speeds.  I remember the old Hughesnet data cap, if you went over your "allowance" for the day you got CUT OFF!  You had to purchase more, or wait 24 hours for it to "restore."  THAT was deceptive advertising and the reason I left them years ago.   A MONTHLY data allowance, that was pro rated daily.  You didnt get "15 G" a month, you got a HALF GIG A DAY, then it did not "reset" every 24 hours, it "slowly restored" over the next 24 hours so if you were online you were able to use it faster than it restored and get "cut off" multiple times in a day.  It literally came up saying "You have exceeded your data limit, Do you wish to buy more?" (Click Here)  You had to get offline 15 mins or more and let your data "catch up" so you could get on again.

The term unlimited simply means you dont "lose internet" or the "access" to data, only the speed at which you may receive it, which they fail to admit is in fact PAINFULLY SLOW or on a heavily congested beam NON EXISTENT!

I have said many times before.  I am on the Exede12/10 plan.  I go over on occasion, but 5 years ago I couldnt tell!  Everything performed as normal I could even watch video in restriction!  Now my regular speeds wont allow video and in restriction, my internet is all but USELESS!

Its not deceptive advertising, in THEORY it SHOULD work as designed, there are simply TOO MANY SUBSCRIBERS!   Viasat created the problem and needs to do more about it other than just keep billing us every month for a quality of service promised that they CAN NOT PROVIDE!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1776 Posts
  • 1108 Reply Likes
But Ron, with regard to your HughesNet reference, the daily fill plans were never advertised as unlimited.  The didn't start advertising plans as "unlimited" until Gen4, though even then the speed it dumped to was very low, and adequate for no more than very basic browsing. 

When I signed up for HughesNet in December 2004 I knew full well that my speeds would dump to a useless level if I ran out of data, with it only being restored if I bought tokens or waited 24 hours (aside of the download zone).  Luckily, the one free token per month was enough and I never had to buy any tokens.  
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
GabeU,  Nope never said anything about them being unlimited, or claiming to be unlimited, the deceptive advertising was that your allowance was not "monthly" as claimed, but pro rated daily, and that it didnt "reset" every 24 hours, it TOOK 24 hours to fully "restore."

My point is by the current "definition" of unlimited, my Exede12/10 plan is "unlimited."   When restricted, I still have all the "data" I want, at the "speed" they allow me to have it.  Technically I could still download a 5 min file .... it just takes 2 hours to do it.

I dont care about speed.  I dont care about data caps.  Im not some newbie waiving my contract and screaming I was lied to.  I am no longer under contract and havent been in years, I could leave now if I want.  I knew what I was signing up for and I KNOW what I had! 

5 years ago I was on the Exede 12/10 plan with Exede voice, the only difference on my end is I am paying a little more for it now.  What I WANT is the same level and quality of service I enjoyed 5 years ago!

5 years ago I "lagged" a bit from 2:30 to 5PM when kids got home from school.  Sunday nights were a bit lagging, I assume from kids rushing to do homework last minute.  Christmas has always been a joke with Santa delivering all those new devices, but even restricted I had speeds of 2 - 5 Mbps and could do what I wanted!  Today in restriction I NEVER see 1 Mbps (Dec 11, 0.28 Mbps) and theres been quite a few times I couldnt even get a connection to do a speed test.

Everybody talks about "the old days" and how things have improved.  IM SORRY!  I want the "old days" back!  I am happy with 12 Mbps.  I am happy with 10 G.  I just want it to work like it did 5 years ago!  Back when it actually worked like the ads claim it does!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1776 Posts
  • 1108 Reply Likes
the deceptive advertising was that your allowance was not "monthly" as claimed, but pro rated daily, 
Was it an HN9000 plan you had?  I think those might be the ones you're referring to, with the daily refill advertised as monthly.  I never saw ads for that.  Granted, I didn't see too many ads at all.  The only ads I saw where the ones around the time I signed up, and then for Gen4, but the real Gen4 plans, not the faux Gen4 plans on the old satellites, which I think included the plans with the HN9000 modem.  
(Edited)
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
GabeU  Its been so long I honestly dont remember.  Never heard of Exede when I first got Hughes.  Still had over a year under contract with Hughes when I got Exede.  Never really saw "ads" like they hammered out for the "Gens" but they said  "XX Gig MONTHLY"  Nothing said a word about "little by little" or "day by day."   Just like the daily "restore" didnt occur at midnight or 6 AM etc all at once, you got it "little by little" throughout a 24 hour period.

Ran Exede on my PC and Hughes on the wifes laptop for about a year to finish the contract and WOW!  The Exede literally SMOKED Hughes.  It was amazing running them in a side by side comparison.  We were happy customers once .... VERY HAPPY CUSTOMERS!

Now this garbage.   SMH
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1776 Posts
  • 1108 Reply Likes
When I first needed satellite internet only DirecWay was available, as far as I knew, so that's what I got.  Back then there was no leasing, but they allowed spreading the cost out over fifteen months worth of payments.  The neighbors got WildBlue a couple of years later.  Later on I saw ads for Exede, but I couldn't get it here, so I kept what I had, though I certainly wanted to look into it for a few months when my HughesNet speeds tanked to the low hundred Kbps range. 

WildBlue might have been available when I signed up, but I had never seen an ad on TV or a print ad, so I had never heard of it.  When the neighbors got theirs I thought it was HughesNet until I looked more closely at their dish.  They only had it for two or three years, then got rid of it.  They weren't internet people very much, so they just didn't need it.     

With the exception of those three or four months in the late 2000s, I've had pretty good luck.  Still do now, though my Gen5's not as good as it was in the beginning.  The slowdowns during the evenings are noticeable if I'm downloading something or updating, but it's still fine for general browsing and SD Youtube.  

When the ViaSat unlimited plans came out I did seriously contemplate switching, but that I would have had to pay a substantial ETF is what ultimately stopped me from doing so.  Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, but I don't really know how well it works in the beam covering my area.      
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
GabeU, WOW my mind is going LMAO!  Now you mention it I did go with WildBlue, but they were starting the switch over to Exede and when I signed up I believe it was called both and they soon dropped the Wildblue moniker completely.  I think I had a Wildblue "plan" that eventually became the Exede 12.

I have never been a high tech guy.  Before my disability I was a truck driver and yea I had a PC and dial up which handled everything I needed.  For a while (before smart phones) I was carrying 3 cell phones, personal, company and NEXTEL, which Im not sure even exists an more.  Now I dont have one at all.  I lived in the city in Connecticut, dial up was fast, cell service was everywhere, now I live in Ohio, out in the sticks, it was like a time warp back 50 years.

No city water, and no well, I have to haul my water to my holding tank.  No TV, or DSL, I am LUCKY to get 3 radio stations.  7 years here and a bunch of new towers the wife can now get a Verizon signal upstairs in the south facing bedroom window.  If you have AT&T out here youre screwed!   When we moved in this place it looked like a NASA installation!  Got rid of 6 dishes or so, still 2 or 3 on the backside I cant get to, my two active on the side and still 3 or 4 more laying around Ive taken down since hauling the others off.  When the introductory price ended, the previous owners just went with someone else.  TV and internet, at one time or another I think they had em all.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
LOL, sounds like my ex son in law who lives across the road from me. WildBlue, DirecTv, Windstream, Dish, Hughesnet adn, Exede labeled dishes all "grace" his yard on a collection of poles and, one mounted to a tree (old DTV dish.) I keep threatening to get a welder and a hacksaw over there and make some bird baths out of the mess. LOL
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
Bev, the sad thing here is most of them were Dish and DTV.  He got DTV ran out the trial, quit paying, and when it got shut off he got Dish.  When it got shut off they got DTV again in her name, then Dish in her name, then the son, then the other son and so on and so on.  Half dozen dishes laying around and at least a half dozen more were still on the house.

The installer when I got MY DTV looked up, laughed and said "Thats a dinosaur!  They havent used that dish in over 10 years.  Its a collectors item!"
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2657 Posts
  • 1384 Reply Likes
I like that strategy for television.  Did he ever get sent to a collection agency or have trouble signing up for television service again?
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
Stephen Rice  They have (briefly) had DTV since so somebody is/was able to sign up again.  They moved 8 1/2 years ago and we still get an occasional letter or even a phone call looking for them from collection agencies.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1776 Posts
  • 1108 Reply Likes
I've seen a few houses around here like that.  Dish after dish after dish, wish some of them being so old the logo is barely decipherable.  A few still have those old, huge dishes in their yards.  

And those Nextel phones.  I can still hear them now.  Beep-beep.  I used to manage a couple of branches of a heating and AC wholesaler, and so many customers had them.  Sometimes it would be comical, with half of the customers trying to talk with someone on one of their phones via the two way "walkie talkie" feature, while attempting to not interfere with the next guy doing the same thing.  You'd just keep hearing these beeps all over the place.  

I can't imagine having to carry water to a holding tank.  That's got to be rough.  :( 
Photo of Ron Frank

Ron Frank

• 255 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
GabeU  YES hauling water SUCKS, especially in winter!   My truck is down currently, otherwise it costs me around  $15 to haul my own.  It is so common out here almost every town has a water station and there are a few services that deliver, my guy charges $65, so sometimes I just ask if its worth $50 to do it myself.

The NEXTEL was a pain, but for my work it was a necessity. multiple drivers, multiple jobs, crews, contractors, quarries UGGG.  It was hilarious at coffee breaks etc when a phone "beeped" and 30 guys grab their phones.  It was also funny as .... when somebody started running somebody down to their intended caller and didnt know they guy being talked about was standing right there hearing it all!  Made for a REAL bad day if it happened to be the boss.  LOL