Unlimited???

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I see a tv commercial today saying exede is now offering unlimited service (Well up to 150gb) and I had my doubts, but compared to what I have now (Liberty 12) this seems like a Godsend.

This month we actually didn't go into liberty pass for ALMOST a week!!  Now for my question.. If we upgrade and somehow my roommate who thinks all the internet is for is watching videos (Facebook, youtube etc) finds a way to burn up the 150, which I can see happening, will it be like liberty pass as far as speed goes??  If that is the case, it still might be worth it to me to get the extra 138 gbs. Just curious and wondering if we have to sign a new contract to get it?

I have a bad taste in my mouth after being screwed over by hughes net and with exede not living up to what I had hoped, maybe this can change it
Photo of johnmc318

johnmc318

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1333 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
It’s suppose to be better than Liberty Pass speeds after priority data. Time will tell. Outside of prime time, it probably will be. During prime time, I expect disappointed people.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
John, If you're hitting 12 GB in a week or less routinely, Unlmited wold be a good plan for you. Silver if HD video doesn't matter to you or  Gold if it does and is available to you.

Unlike other plans, there is NO HARD THROTTLING with Unlimited plans no matter how much data you use. Instead, after you use 150 GB in a month, you are deprioritized on your beam is all. What that means is that the beam is going to handle your requests after it handles everyone online at that moment that has not gone over thier data threshold for the month first, then you. If the beam is very busy, you would see that as a slow down, if the beam is not very busy at the time, full speed for you, even beyond 150 GB used.
Photo of johnmc318

johnmc318

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
HD video would be nice, but if I have to give that up to have unlimited, heck, Im willing to do it lol
Photo of Virgil Teffeteller

Virgil Teffeteller

• 35 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I have had the silver plan for a couple of months and after 150g my internet was at a crawl
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
Hi John

It's only slowed if needed in peak hours. From most reports there hasn't been a lot of it. Also keep in mind that there is a resolution limit on these plans (for some that's a deal breaker even with unlimited data). 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1333 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Is it Exede's intent to maintain enough speed after priority data is used to at least stream on one device even during prime time?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
I think it's a beam by beam case really. It will NOT be like Liberty Pass where you get slowed immediately for the duration of the full peak hour period. Say your beam gets SUPER busy like from 7pm-9pm you may see some speeds slow but around that you should be at priority speed.
Photo of johnmc318

johnmc318

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
So, the slowdown would just be as needed? not like on liberty where it seems to be hard throttled for the rest of the month??
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1333 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
That is correct.  As the plans are new, we are just beginning to see what that may look like.  As others will tell you, it appears to be beam location dependent.
Photo of johnmc318

johnmc318

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
and what about a new contract??
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1333 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Exede allows you to upgrade or downgrade service at any time without a new contract (currently).  If you are under a contract, it just changes the plan under that old contract deal.  I'm under contract until March.  I've changed plans a couple of times, but my contract is still only valid until March.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

As we all know website are built out of many "segments" some of which contain embedded video content, one example being cnn.com

Will the video portions of such sites also be "optimized" thereby giving the impression of slower/lower speeds?

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
GWalk,

If you'd like some insight, you know how to find me...
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Direct... no third party.

FWIW, new RT-AC3200 just arrived - good pricing right now (or was at time of order) for new at both Amazon and Walmart online. The old router is acting up so figured I'd jump now as a preventative strike.    
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
To the OP, cost can also be a factor. For some, the Silver plan costs $150/month. That is a steep price hike from Liberty 12.
Photo of johnmc318

johnmc318

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I can get the bronze for 70, silver for 100 and gold for 150, To be honest we mostly use just phones for Im actually thinking about the low end one, 12 mbs is plenty fast enough for us
Photo of johnmc318

johnmc318

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
thinking is we can always upgrade if needed
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
johnmc318, just remember, these plans are offered in limited supplies, and may only be available for a few days as others grab them up. In my beam, the Gold was available for 3 days, then only the Silver was being offered. Now, two weeks later, the Unlimited Silver is available to existing customers only, but I no longer available for new subscribers.
(Edited)
Photo of johnmc318

johnmc318

• 35 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
unfortunately cost is an issue so that is why I was thinking about holding back at the moment 
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
With mostly using phones for streaming, the lower video resolution should be fine but, as Steve pointed out, sometimes those plans are only available on a beam for a few days, so get it while you can.

That was the case on my beam, we could only get Unlimited plans for four days, then, they were gone.
Photo of Diantha

Diantha

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I love the service until we hit the 150gb on our unlimited silver plan. It becomes unusable after that. If beam based, we must be on the most congested beam they have. Always unusable after 150.
Photo of Wendy Gilbert

Wendy Gilbert

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I called to complain about my internet buffering all the time and the rep said oh by the way the fine print on your unlimited is only 150 gigs. That's not unlimited straight talk got in trouble for the same thing. And my internet has buffered since day 1
Photo of Terri Sisson

Terri Sisson

• 28 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Mine only has 60GB.  They claim it's UNLIMITED - and when I purchased, they mentioned nothing about a cap.  It's so slow, I can't even use it to send emails. (.26, .30 Mbps upload speeds)  NOT ACCEPTABLE when you have to use it for work.  I've been with Wild Poo/Exede/Viasat before (this is my third time) and you think I would have learned my lesson.  I'm so angry right now.  I have to pay for TWO internet providers.  Only 23 more months to go... 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1333 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
What other internet provider do you have? Cellular?
Photo of Terri Sisson

Terri Sisson

• 28 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Yes - AT&T.  It's my fault that I didn't read the entire contract with Viasat.  I was using my AT&T hotspot prior to Viasat, it's just frustrating that I now have to use both.  
Photo of skipbo2015

skipbo2015

• 37 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Folks its ALL about where you live, what plan you're on and which bean on which satellite you're on which will determine your speed levels once you've used all your data.   therefore the experience will be very different from person to person as to what they are doing online, not to mention the various device variables.   unless i have the exact same devices, the same plan, with the same number of family members online doing the exact same processes, living in your town on your satellite, then I cannot relate to your experience.  your negative experience pertains only to you.   It rarely means "Viasat sucks" like people want to generally say.  Satellite technology is what it is and in order to be affordable and profitable for all parties, everyone can't be on it all at the same time streaming Netflix.   You're the one who chooses to live in a rural area and so this is what it is.  Want the benefits of a city, like fiber and broadband at every home, then move to the city.  But moving to the sticks and then complaining that there aren't any shopping malls makes no sense.   The same is true with internet service.   Before, when you ran out of data, you immediately had no internet at all until your billing cycle - none.  Emails? forget it.  Need to log on real quick with the bank?  Nope.  It was a major problem and complaint.  So Viasat figured out a way for that NEVER to happen to ANYONE who has an unlimited plan - that's all it is.  Viasat isn't lying or hiding anything.  What did you think the numbers were for after each "Unlimited?"   Your data cap that guarantees your speed, of course.  Once that's up your speed is gone, but now you can at least CHECK YOUR DAMN EMAIL, right?  It's a major improvement and people just need to stop being so demanding, entitled and ignorant.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1326 Posts
  • 432 Reply Likes
Actually, ViaSat sucks. It’s a fact.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
The only real fact is it sucks for you.  Didn't suck for me. Doesn't suck for skipbo2015
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Viasat does suck. In a lot of areas the service is over sold. Their TV ads are misleading to the point of being fraudulent. They over promise and under deliver.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Does not!  Does Not!  Does not!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1326 Posts
  • 432 Reply Likes
Does Jim16 still have the service?

Point made.

1-me
0- Jim16
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1393 Posts
  • 829 Reply Likes
I didn't read this long rant. Not that I care anymore but spam posts like this are good free entertainment.

Don't believe the ads or marketing hype. People just need to do their homework.

DSLReports is a good place for that. They have a Viasat forum too
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
I did my research before getting Viasat, but 8 years ago most of the bad press was from people going over data limits and or having issues playing certain video games. Since I had minimal needs I thought it would work for me. It was terrible. At least now the bad word has spread enough that many prospective victims of Viasat can avoid throwing money away with just a little Googling.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
"Does Jim16 still have the service?"

Al does not have Viasat.

ExSatUser does not have Viasat.

Point made.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1326 Posts
  • 432 Reply Likes
Exactly.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Fair and balanced reporting.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 649 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
He...He...He....He...!!!  Must be some of that "Wind Cancer"  that is going around lately!!!  He...He...He....He...!!!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.