Unlimited speed is too slow

• Problem
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)

Paying $150.00 for unlimited, but once I use my 150 gigs I can't even get on YouTube. How is that unlimited? I've only had Exede for 2 weeks, I got this internet service for the purpose of my daughter to play online games. Before I even had a technician come to install it, I asked the lady that was fine with taking my credit card if it could be used with gaming..She said absolutely. Well 2 weeks later all the gigs are used up, but I was told it was still unlimited we could still use it. For the past 2 days our internet has been running horrible. I've called customer service 5 times today and all I keep getting is "sense your data is used everyone else is a priority". Why am I paying $150.00 a month to only be able to use it when I have gigs left? That's not unlimited. That's "you have 150 gigs after that, you can't even watch a You Tube video". Exede, If your customers are paying $150.00 a month, they should be a priority all the time.. That's a lot of money a month. If this isn't fixed soon your losing me as a customer. By soon I mean in a few days. Unlimited customers should be first priority, we are paying the most..

Photo of Shannon Ruhren

Shannon Ruhren

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • Not happy....

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of bigdaddy4875 .

bigdaddy4875 .

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
It does state in there little clause that once the 150gb is used up that our data maybe be prioritized behind orher people that still have data left
Photo of Shannon Ruhren

Shannon Ruhren

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
By being "prioritized" meaning you can't even get online, isn't unlimited service.
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Your on congested Beam it will get better by end of February
Photo of Texas Jayhawk

Texas Jayhawk

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I switched from Freedom 50GB plan last night to the Silver Unlimited plan.  I'm nowhere near the 150GB and instantly my speeds were dramatically less.  So bad, in fact, I can't even watch Facebook videos inline in my feed.  I expected the same speeds at least until 150GB, but seems even the base speeds are dramatically throttled back for Unlimited plan users even before the data limit is reached.  Pretty crappy thing to do to customers.  
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2113 Posts
  • 1847 Reply Likes
The Silver Plans throttle video streaming down to 480p, about 1mbs.  Did you know this?
Photo of Texas Jayhawk

Texas Jayhawk

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes. But every aspect of internet use is slower. Small format videos like 240p mobile clips, responsiveness of devices like Echo, and even general web page load times are significantly slower. The speed is advertised as the same up to 150gb but it is not.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2113 Posts
  • 1847 Reply Likes
I have heard this from several other posters on this forum.  People have switched to the unlimited plans and are seeing slower speeds than they had on their previous plan.  This doesn't make any sense.  Changing plans should not change your download speed from what you were able to  get before.  The only explanation for this would be the new modem is not as good as the other modem or the unlimited plans need to be adjusted and this is being done during this "testing" phase before V2 goes on line?
(Edited)
Photo of Texas Jayhawk

Texas Jayhawk

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I had the speed boost 25mbps modem with WiFi on my previous 50gb plan. They told me I don’t need new equipment, just power cycle, which I’ve done several times. Bottom line is they appear to be limiting speed on the unlimited plans compared to lower data cap plans advertised at same rate. It’s a scam and I will likely revert to a lower plan or explore other options entirely if it doesn’t improve, fast. They shouldn’t have rolled this out if they don’t have the ability to support it. I find it very hard to believe that what’s happening isn’t known and wasn’t planned by Viaasat. Very disappointed, just when they had me excited.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2113 Posts
  • 1847 Reply Likes
It could be they just need to adjust these new unlimited plans better.  My take on it is they are using this period before the new sat. comes on line to fine tune these unlimited plans.  I would hang tough for a while and see if things improve.  These unlimited plans reduce video speeds when you stream and then prioritize you when you reach the 150gig soft cap.  I'm guessing it takes some special software to do this and they need time to tweak things. 
Photo of Texas Jayhawk

Texas Jayhawk

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Jim.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

Part of all this unlimited business is research.  Viasat needs to know the usage trends on a system such as this when customers are presented with an unlimited plan.  The information derived from these test will help shape the plans and prices of the Viasat-2 offerings in February.  If you feel like a hamster caught in a cage wheel, you are correct. It's hard to go along for the ride until then when you are paying for much more than you are actually receiving.  The price you are paying now is based on an optimized system running at full delivery to each customer, but for 2 more months, it has it's pitfalls and some of us are counting on Viasat to show some thanks for our patience, support, and lack of proper system performance that we paid for and didn't receive while they got their act together.  I hope that thanks comes in the form of highly discounted  "first year of VS-2 service" plans for current subscribers that we actually want.  They can offer the public the same price/plans as an "introductory price" for their first 90 days, but we keep our discount for a year.

That would heal the wounds of dissatisfaction for about 600,000 customers that right now feel like they've been screwed.

Photo of DEEDEE PRESLEY

DEEDEE PRESLEY

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
ITS TOTALLY TOO SLLOW AND UNDEPENDABLE  I SPEND TOO MUCH TIME RE-UPLOADING PHOTOS  RUNNING SPEED TESTS   CHECKING TO SEE IF IM EVEN ONLINE   ITS NONSENSE   COULDNT EVEN STAY CONNECTED TO THEM ON CHAT!!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3229 Posts
  • 1856 Reply Likes
A lot of you are on to something These new plans are "cutting edge" so to speak and are going to need tuning. Maybe not so much with Liberty, but there were a number of issues with Evolution plans when they were released. Honestly, I am not sure they ever got the bugs worked our of the Evolution plans. They just evolved into Liberty.
Photo of Sheryl Deanna

Sheryl Deanna

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have had the service for three weeks and I will definitely be terminating the service. It’s NOT unlimited at all. The 150 gb is gone within a week. My kids only use you tube and Netflix. $130 is too much for poor service and constant buffering. I’d rather stick with cable because this is an unreliable alternative. I was told I had 30 days to cancel but now it’s something different. Oh well....it’s still goodbye!!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3284 Posts
  • 1893 Reply Likes

First of all, if your daughter plays first person shooter games online then no way will the service work for that.  Second of all, it is no more "unlimited" than the "unlimited" plans the cell phone providers sell you.  Once you run out of your priority data, you will be prioritized behind the other customers who have not used their data allocation.  I agree, you are paying a lot of money for the service.  But I pay for a plan that guarantees me priority if I stay under my data allotment over people that use over 150GB.

So, you can stay within your data allotment, or go over 150GB and if you get slower speeds, that is clearly spelled out in the plan.

Since it appears you will not be satisfied, I suggest you move on to something else because it will not be "fixed" in the next few days. 

Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
What boggles my mind is how people can think of 150 GB a month as "little."  That is a huge data allotment and is at least 5 times more than what other "unlimited" plans give you.
Photo of Mark here

Mark here

• 80 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
150 GB is NOT a HUGE amount of date in this day and age! I agree with Shannon, $150.00 is a lot to be paying to only get maybe 2 weeks of decent internet speed. They only survive because people who can't get cable run have to use satellite for access! If I could get cable here I wouldn't even think of using this service, It's all about corporate greed. Funny thing I cancelled my service contract months ago due to still having to pay the tech to come and do a "covered" repair, but when they changed the name to ViaSat it's back on my bill again. I'll be calling in the morning. Ok end of rant....for now anyway  ;-)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3284 Posts
  • 1893 Reply Likes
150GB is about 20 - 30GB below the average household internet usage.

For a family of 4 or more I can see it not being enough, but for one or two people it is a lot.
Photo of Shannon Ruhren

Shannon Ruhren

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Veteran, First of all I was told it would be perfect for gaming. We use to have Xfinity before we moved.. Never ever had a problem with it. 150 gigs isn't crap with trying to play Overwatch, You sound like an employee, so I'm going to ignore you.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Shannon I'm sorry but Exede and satellite internet is not the best connection for gaming. Outside of data usage the other big hurdle is the ping rate which makes some games like First Person Shooters difficult if not frustrating to try to do. We're trying to make things better by having plans like the unlimited plan today and some stuff come early next year with ViaSat 2 going into service but that ping rate is the one thing that we can never fix unless we figure out how to go faster than the speed of light.

Employees are marked like me. Anyone else posting even champions are all fellow customers
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Xfinity on the other hand is completely different. Rather than a signal to space and back, you're connected to fiber optic cables that bounce to a core node down the street and back so gaming works just fine with Cable and DSL. Of course neither of those technologies will expand into the rural and small town areas so that's where we largely focus on for customers. If you can still have Xfinity where you live, you may have been missold the service and if that's the case please email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
A quick rough calculation show even if you played Overwatch 24/7 for a month, it would only consume 35-50GB. May be the game updates (which can be large) or something else entirely eating data.
Photo of Shannon Ruhren

Shannon Ruhren

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I was stupid and didn't do my research until after I've had this problem.. Gamespot forums from different people said it uses about 7gigs an hour for them. It's been around 14 days sense I got the 150 gigs that I purchased. Her playing 2 hour to 3 hours a day that's almost 80 gigs or so per week. She did have a lot of updates to though. Forgot to mention we have a PS4 if that helps anything.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
Likely it was the updates. I game, even beta test games for two different producers/ Most games average 60-100 GB initial download but, that's only 2-3 per year. The average update is 4-10 GB and, online play about 500 MB every 8 hours so, 16 hrs of play to use 1 GB.

I thing they mean about 7 Megs per hour, 7 Gigs is a lot for simply playing to use, never seen a game use that much just to play.
Photo of Diane Tabulog

Diane Tabulog

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Why can I not buy more "priority" data once I have reached my peak? I'm willing to pay for it, but I was told by Customer Service that I could not since I am on an Unlimited plan. Newsflash, people.....all of your plans are unlimited except one. We should have the option to buy once we reach our monthly cap.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
Unlimited = No hard cap = no reason to buy more data.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
While true, we are seeing reports of slow downs below truly usable speeds. Hopefully that will be a past memory shortly.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
150GB is about 2-3 Xbox game downloads.  Sometimes a few more.  With Xbox Live you get 4 or more free a month.  Using the Live service itself doesn't consume that much data.  I used it with a 10 & 12GB plan without issue for years. 

Agree that the unlimited plans should be advertised as 150GB and then maybe usable daytime speeds after that.  When you post unlimited in big, bold letters, people take that to mean something.

I have unlimited Verizon.  It rarely slows no matter how much I use.

I have access to unlimited cable.  It has never fallen below 100 Mbps after multiple TB used.

I have unlimited Exede.  I seriously doubt it will be workable after 150GB during primetime till ViaSat 2.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3253 Posts
  • 1869 Reply Likes
If you have unlimited cable what are you doing with satellite internet????

150GB is also 3 games off Steam :).
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Lol. Access to cable. A ring would grant me permanent access, but then I’d need a moving truck too.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3253 Posts
  • 1869 Reply Likes
I would stick with satellite internet. That isn't as risky of investment :)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2144 Posts
  • 1065 Reply Likes
Yall need to get an Atari.  I get games for just a few dollars at the thrift store and it uses zero gigabytes.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Mine quit :(.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
they have the pre-loaded ones at Tagét but the Sega is more my thing
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Nintendo will always be king. Just don’t have any online friends like I do with Xbox. Never had any before and don’t want to lose these. Not sure how to mail them Christmas gifts though.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
if you can score one absolutely!  But if you have a little skill nothing a $35 Raspberry Pi or modified Wii can't take care of. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Won’t admit to owning one, but homebrew rocked...
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Hi Shannon. 

Much like some of the replies above, we do state that on the unlimited plan that once you go over 150GB you *may* see your speeds throttle during peak hours as you will be put on a lower priority to those that still have data. Outside of peak hours you can expect to see normal speeds. 

With ViaSat 2 coming online early in the new year I would anticipate this to happen less as the throttle is only if needed so if you're in an area that sees it semi regularly it should clear up very soon. We're routinely working on ways to manage our traffic so some of those busier areas have been a priority for us.
Photo of Shannon Ruhren

Shannon Ruhren

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Brad, Thank you for your reply... But why is it people on a forum know more then your employees? Yesterday when I called technical support " I couldn't even get on YouTube " an employee of yours told me I shouldn't of been told it's great for gaming. I feel like I was told what I wanted to hear so I would buy.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
I think a good number of people on here have been customers for a long time and/or are very interested in the technology so they happen to know a lot of the expectations. Viasat is a pretty good size company and we have over 700K customers just on our residential internet. Like most companies as much as we'd like there's sometimes some rockstars that are awesome and other times there's employees that aren't going to be as knowledgeable but we do have a system to track that down and take corrective measures. If wrong information is going out that's something we'd want to act on.

In this situation what I would like to do is have you email me because

1.) I can work with you personally and help you out as much as I can
2.) If a person did in fact tell you that, we'd want to correct them to avoid stuff like this happening to others.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Just to add on we do have a page to give potential customers a overview of what to expect since it is a different technology vs Cable or DSL https://www.exede.com/what-to-expect/
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2138 Posts
  • 1061 Reply Likes
I'm just here for the drama.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2123 Posts
  • 1854 Reply Likes
You are the drama!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2123 Posts
  • 1854 Reply Likes
I have to agree with Shannon.  These unlimited plans are touted as plans for people to stream.  The video stream is throttled to either 480p( silver) or 720p(gold) just for that reason.  I would expect when you go over your 150gigs, you would be dropped down to your throttled speed for the rest of your month. That would be 1-1.5mbs for the Silver plan and something higher for the Gold plan ( we don't have any info on the throttled speed for Gold yet.)  Maybe that is going to be the plan when V2 is running and we are now in a beta period with these new plans. Maybe?
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Unacceptable. I’d be streaming at least two devices. Minimum (assuming 100 Mbps plans forthcoming) should be no less than 10 Mbps.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2123 Posts
  • 1854 Reply Likes
I can't see that happening.  I think what we see with the Silver and Gold will be the plans, but available to almost everyone.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Hope not. That would be a waste of a couple billion. The best I can tell from various sources, 100 Mbps will be an offered speed. No one seems to have a clue about how much data. If it stays 150 GB, other than the few who jump ship from Hughesnet for higher speeds, I fear ViaSat will continue to lose subscribers.

When low orbit satellite constellations start offering plans in about a year, lights out unless ViaSat offers something tremendous.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2123 Posts
  • 1854 Reply Likes
Not sure about these LEO constellations. There may be some hurdles to overcome before tens of thousands of Sats are allowed to hang very close over our heads.
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/10/spacex-and-oneweb-broadband-satellites-raise-...

"Today, there are more than 1,400 operational satellites orbiting the Earth, among more than 4,000 overall, including those that are no longer operating. SpaceX alone plans a launch of 4,425 operational satellites between 2019 and 2024 at low-Earth altitudes ranging from 1,110km to 1,325km, as well as an additional 7,500 satellites operating even closer to the ground. OneWeb wants to launch 720 satellites and has already received a key approval from the FCC. Boeing has proposed a constellation of 1,396 to 2,956 satellites. SpaceX, OneWeb, and Boeing have all described plans for minimizing space debris in filings with the FCC."

Potential “cascade” of collisions
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2123 Posts
  • 1854 Reply Likes
Love these double posts....
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
It’s going to happen. Can’t wait. That’s when satellite internet becomes the standard rather than the option of last resort.
Photo of Ron D Stricklin

Ron D Stricklin

• 75 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Brad I don't think it comes down to the helpful statements that you make after the product is purchased. It's more the lies your sales team make to get a sale. It would be great if your sales team was upfront and honest before a customer came disappointed to the forum. But maybe they don't get paid, like you, to have integrity.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2747 Posts
  • 1727 Reply Likes
This forum certainly provides great entertainment for sure, and all at no cost.

For years, this forum was filled with complaints about inaccurate data metering and low data caps, in the 10 to 25 GB range. Now ViaSat started offering 150 GB plans, including some being unlimited with restrictions, and now we get to see some subscribers so unhappy with their internet slowing down after they blow through their 150 GB of priority data.

Thanks for the entertainment. ViaSat has always provided me with great internet service, and I do appreciate that. Better times are ahead, once ViaSat2 comes online in a couple of months.
Photo of John G

John G

• 22 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Honestly, I don't find it amusing.  When you are sold the product and you are told that you can do X and Y with it.  Watching videos for example.  There is always an assumption of it being possible.  The last couple of months have been tough for a lot of people that don't understand technology because of the big updates to windows for example.  Those can take a chunk out, even if you try to time them during the "free zones."  I have become quite informed about the technology and understand its limitations, and I appreciate all the education other users like yourselves have at times provided, but to be amused at someone's frustration baffles me.  When I first became a customer I was told plenty of things that I now know not to be true or even possible with the current technology.  We cannot discount someone that was misinformed by a sales person on what is possible with satellite internet.  
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
I will say that bad or misinformed installers do more to hurt satellite internet branding that anyone. Sure research can overcome this, but how many people actually do due diligence? Not many unfortunately.
Photo of John G

John G

• 22 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
There is also the hope factor to.  If I am on a non congested area I can get better service.  If the equipment works as intended I can get up to 30mbps down (an installer said that before, no joke.)  I have reset my expectations quite a bit, but there are still a lot of issues with the product and the way it is marketed.  I do hope they do better overall.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Exede is a great service compared to HN, dialup, and some dsl. Taken with its limitations and lack of offerings from other providers, I’m very happy. It’s far from perfect, but it serves my needs for now.

Good dsl, cable, or fiber (even some wireless) blow Exede away. Always choose the best available to suit your needs. Don’t base your choice on claims. Find facts. You will not see 30 Mbps for a few months most likely. It is theoretically possible though. Theory doesn’t stream 4K however (or download it quickly).

4K on a cable connection looks amazing (little side note).
Photo of John G

John G

• 22 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I have a 4K TV that will probably be obsolete before I can put actual 4K content through it.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Download a movie at some point and try it. You may list your house and move closer to fiber lol.

We joke about living off the grid, but I’m probably more likely after all these years of moving closer to town.
Photo of John G

John G

• 22 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
When we bought the house I was told DSL was an option, that turned out not to be true.  Also fiber was supposed to reach it, it never happened.  Exede has been an alternative, but it is a painful one at times for sure.  We joke about moving as well.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
I was told dsl was coming 18 yrs ago. Offered cash to run cable a mile or so (they refused). Either low geo satellite constellations or fixed wireless will allow me to game, but are two to three years off.

Moving may be my best choice. Kids are getting close to teenage years. Internet is more a must than a luxury.

If I didn’t have kids or enjoying gaming, 50GB plan would suit my needs fine. Heck I got by with 10GB for years.
Photo of Shannon Ruhren

Shannon Ruhren

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Steve, Your picture provides me with plenty of entertainment.... John G, Thank you for understanding. I did NOT do my research, I believed everything I was told. I use to have cable internet so I really thought they were all the same. We live on a dirt road where 3 houses down gets Comcast., It's frustrating... You just want to make your kids happy and try to give them what they ask for. Living in the country all my daughters friends are spread out. So it's not easy for them getting together, I thought getting internet would help. I can't even use my internet service on the weekends at all. It's to slow. Xfinity never did that, it said unlimited and it was unlimited...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3284 Posts
  • 1893 Reply Likes
Shannon, you can ignore me if you want but I am not an employee and was just trying to tell you the whole story about satellite internet. Unfortunately, people like yourself take a "leap of faith" so to speak and don't understand the limitations of satellite internet until it is too late.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2144 Posts
  • 1065 Reply Likes
I didn't know I posted any pictures on this thread, but thank you for the compliment.
Photo of BBwithdrawls

BBwithdrawls

• 70 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
shannon , if you can get cable 3 houses down pay for the cable internet there, get you 2 ubiquiti loco2 stations and send it to your house over wireless , you can order them from streakwave for 50 bucks each