Unlimited Gold Vs Freedom 150

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • In Progress
So I saw that the Unlimited plans are being offered in my area. I immediately jumped on the Unlimited Gold plan. Upon further observation I noticed under "Bonus Features" It says that after I use 150gb of data, you may prioritize my data behind other customers. So my question is what is the difference between the Unlimited Gold and Freedom 150 plans? I mean besides the 25mbps/30mbps speeds and the higher price for the Gold plan? Also it's 5am here and I have used roughly 26gb since my cycle started over and I am only getting 2mbps.....
Photo of Brandon Matthew Goodwin

Brandon Matthew Goodwin

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • pessimistic

Posted 11 months ago

Brandon Matthew Goodwin

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Brandon Matthew Goodwin

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3701 Posts
  • 3719 Reply Likes
With the Freedom Plan, your speed is hard throttled on reaching your data allowance.

With the Unlimited Plan(s), you are simply de-prioritized upon reaching your data allowance. Your speed will be lower than those who have not exceeded their data allowance.

Contrast that with Liberty plans whereby you are both throttled and deprioritized on reaching your allowance.

As always speeds are "up to" and not guaranteed.

See https://www.exede.com/documents/master/unlimited-data-policy.pdf - there are some subtle differences when compared to Freedom or other plans.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3047 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Bingo Old Labs!  I don't believe right now we expect to throttle the speeds but they are on a lower priority on the network after getting past the 150GB mark but there's no hard data cap with these plans.
Photo of outlaw2u2

outlaw2u2

• 27 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I just checked my Exede and I can receive the unlimited  plan and they say new modem required for 100.00 dollars a month. I pay 105.80 for 150 gigs now.( Good Deal)
Photo of outlaw2u2

outlaw2u2

• 27 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I already have Wi-Fi Exede modem will I still receive new modem?
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2739 Posts
  • 1720 Reply Likes
No
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 76 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Our payments for this marginal service should be "up to" and not guaranteed.
Photo of Deku

Deku, Champion

• 824 Posts
  • 451 Reply Likes
well when i talked to a represenitive onto the phone last night. they said that i will get the same speeds even though imma OUT of gbs... but yet when there is a network congested then my speeds WILL go down... but yet after the network congested... i can get my speeds back up and running again EVEN though ive passed my data limit... that is what they said to me :3 so yeah :3 hope this helps!!! :3

P.S. old labs is right on this one onto the speeds may vary :3
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3256 Posts
  • 1870 Reply Likes
Well of course. How many beams are NOT congested during prime hours though? I can see it now. People blow through 150GB, sit down to stream a movie in the evening and boom, it won't work.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad Shelton

Brad Shelton

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Just an FYI. I switched from the Freedom 150 plan a day ago. I was sitting at 112gb used with 14 days to go in my billing cycle. No Netflix, etc. Just web, a couple of Nest cameras, and several computers, iPhones, iPads, etc. I'm pretty good at managing data to avoid the 150 mark. I have another older DSL connection that's reliable, just slow. I'm curious to the actual speeds after 150 in a few days. Because on the Freedom plan, they were horrible. I have noticed that my speed has decreased on the Unlimited Gold. I'm getting 2oMbps of the 30 advertised, where I received 40Mbps of the 25Mbps on the Freedom Plan when I wasn't throttled. I don't mind the 20Mbps speed at all. Just so I don't drop to that horrid sub-1Mbps after being throttled. I'll know in a few days.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3209 Posts
  • 1831 Reply Likes
Everything Old Labs said is spot on. Until we have somebody on "Unlimited" go over 150GB and then try to run speed tests during primetime on a congested beam, we won't really know how the new plans perform.

And again, these plans are no more unlimited than the cell phone plans that say the same thing. You get x amount of priority data. After that, your speeds will go down. Just a question of how much depending on the beam and time of day.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3678 Posts
  • 3689 Reply Likes
Let me try to explain by example since this is difficult to wrap one's head around.

Let's assume a peak congested period time frame - two responses are received simultaneously deep within the Exede physical infrastructure and the bandwidth/resources needed to support both is identical. One user is throttled and de-prioritized on a Liberty Plan while the other is simply de-prioritized on an Unlimited Plan - does the Unlimited Plan user enjoy a prioritization edge over the Liberty Plan user regardless of bandwidth requirement. Does the Unlimited Plan user get to cut in line of those in the queue already waiting and on Liberty Pass de-prioritization? Or is prioritization equitable for both plans? FIFO so to speak. Now do it at the speed of light ;)

What's really annoying me is trying to figure out where all of this excess bandwidth is coming from to support unlimited after years of being told ViaSat-1 couldn't support unlimited plans (regardless of interpretation) and all of this is more academic curiosity than anything else - but suspect I know the answer although it'll never be confirmed - it was there all along and was simply being managed for future growth - not that there's anything wrong with that!
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1077 Posts
  • 347 Reply Likes
Yea.  It's pretty easy to see two peas in a pod.  Don't know what "how does it fell" mean though.  Typing error I suppose.  Try spell check.  Anyhow, I think both of you are somewhat knowledgeable, though you both tend to blast anyone and everyone with a bunch of jargon, but not really provide much insight. You both realize it will take at least several weeks to get a good feel for plan speed after primary data runs out, as measured across several different beams.  

Anyway, not to get in a measuring contest, but what you are asking is unknown by anyone here and Exede.  They are most likely in a "wait and see" mode.  Until more members come on board and begin using the plans, it will remain unknown how well the plans will work.  My guess is decreasingly well until ViaSat 2 comes online as subscribers upgrade plans.  That said speeds this month will probably be different come the end of January.  

I get it.  You both rule this forum and anyone new is stepping on your territory.  I pay full price for my service.  I'm not subsidized or complaining that particular plans aren't offered to me because I'm subsidized.  I'm excited that Exede is moving into the broadband arena (defined as 25Mbps but I won't link or give an FCC quote like you guys do).  That's why I decided to join up.  I want to see what others have to say, and feel like I'm in the loop.  Could care less how long you've trolled others.  
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
Bradley, we are not subsidized either. We pay full price, same as any other customer. We do what we can to help out here because we want to. Viasat does not compensate us for what we do, and, we are free to post what we like, so long as it doesn't violate the forum rules.

Some of us Champions, myself included have been very vocal when things go wrong. We have simply been customers long enough to have encountered most problems and, we know which avenue is best to fix a given problem. Some of the minor ones, we know how to DIY correct. We understand how satellite internet works, what is involved technology wise and, the logistics of it all.

Old Labs, as for that bandwidth - yep it isn't there, not really except for the fact that we are taking up the capacity of ex-customers. Remember, there has been a drop in residential customers over the last year or two. As for VS1 supporting unlimited, well sure with few enough customers, it can do it. Right now? Well probably not really but, Viasat needs to see the real world effect of unlimited before VS2 comes online so that they can tune it, determine how many subscribers can have each plan on each beam, etc...

All of the simulations, projections and algorithms in the world can't match it actually happening with real customer. One way to see it real world - get some unlimited plans out there, get people on them and, watch what happens over the next few months.

Yes, that means we will likely suffer periodically for being early adopters short term but, when VS2 comes online, all should be well again. Me, I'm happy to have Unlimited and, glad to test it out and use the dickens out of it.

By the way, FaceTime on iPhone 7 plus I OS 11 via wifi on the SB2+ modem works great. No stutter, no pause, good quality image, no noticeable lag, no dropped connection so, not bad at all.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3678 Posts
  • 3689 Reply Likes
I believe Bradley was referring to the fact that VeteranSatUser and I are both NRTC subscribers - no we're not subsidized either and he's probably mistaking us for the BroadBand Stimulus Plan participants. NRTC subscribers pay full freight but have limited plan offerings, no ability for Exede Voice as well as some other administrative differences but the physical infrastructure for service is the same.

For those interested NRTC was one of the early investors in Wildblue - I wouldn't be with them except for the fact in my area Wildblue could only be obtained through NRTC - there wasn't a full dealer network available and my local NRTC "dealer" is some 95 miles away. Installation fees are left to the member organization's discretion. They also had some discretion on lan pricing for the lowest tier.

That's changed now that ViaSat has built out it's dealer network and local will really mean local on the next go round.

When Exede became available, I attempted to subscribe directly through ViaSat but it was declined. Much to their credit ViaSat didn't want to cannibalize their new partner's customer base and said I would have to wait for Exede plans to be offered by NRTC.

Hopefully this time around, I'll be able to insist or simply cancel and subscribe as a "new" direct customer after waiting, seeing and judging the best course of action and simply not tell them I'm an NRTC customer.

P.S. I'm glad to see these new plans and welcome them, switching is a logistical issue for we NRTC users but we're looking forward to ViaSat-2 so that our options can be expanded - it just makes little sense for use to switch and incur a new two year commitment until we wait and see. In the meantime we look forward to reports from the field...      
(Edited)
Photo of Annie Clayton

Annie Clayton

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I was told by a rep that the speed for the mid plan (silver) was at least 25 mbp download and 3.0 upload speed, so if you have the gold I don't understand why you are at 20 mbp
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
Annie, the speed is UP TO 25Mbps, as stated in the customer agreement which you signed at install. For reference, that agreement can be found here: https://www.exede.com/documents/master/customer-agreement.pdf
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3038 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Yeah basically any provider, any internet service will have "up to" on the speeds displayed and thats because a multitude of factors will affect your overall speed: Your equipment (like if your computer is outdated it may not hit that or if your 3rd party router is shoddy same thing), Congestion of the network  (busier times the speed will dip), weather (satellite signal could be affected), how many devices are connected (that speed is split so more devices the slower it goes) and so on. If it drops below an acceptable rate there could be a technical issue we'd want to look at.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3256 Posts
  • 1870 Reply Likes
There is no way you are going to have guaranteed speeds at 25Mbps. Will you have that speed at times? Yes. Will you have that speed all the time? No way.

Brandon Matthew Goodwin

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
20mbps would be acceptable, but 1-2mbps out if the advertised 30mbps on the Unlimited Gold plan is kinda crushing the joy and excitement I was full of while upgrading my plan.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3038 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Hi Brandon please call us at 855-463-9333 if you're seeing that
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1083 Posts
  • 352 Reply Likes
Agree. While it’s hard to control I’m sure, we really shouldn’t ever drop below 5-10 at even highly congested times. Beam is oversold if that’s the case. Not good.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3047 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
If you're seeing that please call us at 855-463-9333
Photo of computer1949

computer1949

• 224 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Use open speed test Better than speedtest.net
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3253 Posts
  • 1869 Reply Likes
Testmy.net is the best speed test for satellite internet IMHO.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3700 Posts
  • 3718 Reply Likes
I'm beginning to have my doubts about the accuracy of any of them after this one on testmy:

Surely just a fluke in the algorithm (and still prefer testmy) but others such as DSL Reports provide some additional info/detail (specifically dropped packets - useful in determining level of congestion or equipment flaw) despite my doubts about their speed claims.

Look closely at that graph above - I think Viasat may want to start recommending testmy - they could claim speeds of up to 2Gbps based on this. Maybe they could offer Unlimited Platinum or Titanium plans - 1080P or 4K respectively ;)

So take that HughesNet!

Yeah - a retest was more accurate... and more closely grouped around the minimum of the bogus test.

But then again, maybe for one brief shining moment I was the only one using my beam - 2Gpbs seems to be about the total bandwidth per beam - 140 Gbps spread over 72 beams... it was awesome while it lasted. I look forward to ViaSat-3, infinity and beyond...
(Edited)