When can I get an unlimited plan?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
So far I am happy with Exede - no technical problems or issues similar to what I had to deal with at Hughes.

When I first signed up, the sales person said that Exede would be "going unlimited" due to new federal requirements.  This appears not to be the case.  Can I get a higher bandwidth plan than 25 GB per month in my area? 
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3134 Posts
  • 3085 Reply Likes
There are no federal requirements for any ISP to offer unlimited plans. Any significant Exede plan changes won't really occur until the next satellite is launched and put into service - delayed since the 2016 estimate for reasons outlined at:

https://community.exede.com/exede/topics/lied-to-to-customer-service-and-the-saleman?topic-reply-lis...
Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1759 Posts
  • 1410 Reply Likes
Very, very, very unlikely Exede will offer unlimited plans.  Almost positive on that.
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Interesting.  Oh, well, I am not unhappy with my service.  Quite the opposite, actually - everything works fine.  It was just that I had expected to be without the 25 GB limitation, which I just ran into for the first time while setting up a software development environment.  I had to buy additional 5GB jus to set up a new machine.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3130 Posts
  • 3080 Reply Likes
Yeah, none of us are dancing with joy over data caps and most are reluctantly satisfied with the limitations having no other viable alternatives due to where we've chosen to live.

P.S. If independently wealthy you could always look at the business plans ;) See:

http://www.exede.com/business-plans/

apparently the install fee is waived for existing residential users.
(Edited)
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I just called them.  I will call them again on Monday.  It looks like for me that to get an additional 25 GB of bandwidth, it's only an additional $20 per month.  I am paying about $140/mo now for 25 GB/mo.  50GB/mo is entirely worth it for me.

Thanks for the heads up.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 2769 Posts
  • 1113 Reply Likes
I'm considering but the no warning if over and just being billed for additional usage is holding me back. If it stayed at a stable price and just cut me off, or slowed drastically when I ran out of data but, didn't raise my bill, I'd do it in a heart beat.