unlimited data

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: spent thread

okay i signed up for exede internet a month  ago and was told by the tech that came out to install it that in 6 months that every one is being forced into going unlimited data is that true?
Photo of Aaron Straw

Aaron Straw

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
I think you misunderstood, or mistyped.  We all wish we could get unlimited data.  What does seem to be happening is that folks are being nudged in the direction of giving up their LNFZ.
Photo of Nicholas Wilson

Nicholas Wilson

• 81 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Why that last part?  What's the sign of that?

My interpretation of what the tech said is that after having double data allowance for the first six months and getting used to that, people will be inclined to upgrade their plan when the bonus period expires. That or cut back usage. 
(Edited)
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
I never had the 6 gig bonus option but can see where it would be uncomfortable after being used to using it for 6 months. I just don't like game playing and most roads here lead to that. 
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
The tech may have been expressing his mis-understanding of Net Neutrality.
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
I don't think there will ever be unlimited  data. Right now am trying to make a decision--Casair just put up a tower in our area--for same price I'm paying Exede I could get unlimited data but the download would only be 5 mb. They do that so everyone can be online by having slower downloads. The upload768k.
Photo of Jacqueline Tierney

Jacqueline Tierney

• 269 Posts
  • 156 Reply Likes
That sounds similar to Northwest Communications.  which we have at our other place.  They are a fabulous company and usually can keep the speeds between 4 and 5 even when it is busy, their customer service is the best I've ever encountered and I can stream Netflix or any other service as much as I want.  Because the ping is much faster on NCN (usually around 25 to 50 compared to 720 that I usually ping on Exede) it feels much faster when I am using their service.  They also don't require a contract to sign up for service.  That being said, of course Casair might not be as good a company as NCN or they might be better.  If they don't require a contract maybe you could try them out for a month and see if you like their service before deciding?  Or do you know anyone subscribing to them already that you could go and take a test drive on their connection?  Good luck!
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Aaron, a few others have given the correct information but wanted to confirm. You will not be forced to do anything. Whatever plan you currently have, you're free to stay with. If the Freedom plan is available to you, you may switch to it, but would not be forced to.
Photo of Aaron Straw

Aaron Straw

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
that is not what I was saying the tech that install exede that in 6 months all ISP providers will have to offer unlimited data and they cannot slow your connection if you go over
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Sounds like the installer was misinterpreting the recently announced FCC regulations regarding Net Neutering Neutrality - there's a lot of misinterpretation an misinformation surrounding these regulations (not to mention plain old FUD).

Currently, these regulations only apply to the relationship between content providers (e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) and ISPs (e.g. ViaSat, Comcast, etc.) and not the relationship between ISPs and their subscribers (e.g. you or me) - although I'm sure some would like to see the FCC extend its overreach.

Effectively, the intent of the regulations is to ensure that ISPs can't charge content providers extra for delivery of their content or otherwise block content on that basis alone. The thinking is that subscribers pay for access. Regardless,  you and I always wind up paying in one form or another whether that be higher subscription prices from Netflix/Amazon or higher subscription prices from ViaSat.

However, the regulations do not preclude ISPs from establishing customer agreements, data access policies, bandwidth usage policies, acceptable use policies and network management policies aimed at properly managing their finite resources and charging what the market will bear.

Not surprisingly, the legal documents at http://www.exede.com/legal were carefully updated and revised concurrent with the FCC announcement to ensure "compliance".

The fact that some ISPs have greater capacity than others, doesn't mean that those having lower capacity can be forced to increase their capacity. Contrary to popular progressive beliefs -  they (ISPs) did build that and have a right to a reasonable return on their investment.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
P.S. Reasonable is in the eye of the beholder; however for me, I find $54.95 per month not only reasonable but a bargain - it allows me to work from the comfort of my own home, avoid a daily commute of 100 miles in horrendous Northern Virginia traffic, take the VRE or drive 36 miles to the nearest Metro station. All of the latter cost decidedly much more than $54.95 per month particularly when throwing in a gas guzzler at 16-17 mpg.
(Edited)
Photo of Bobbie Blackman

Bobbie Blackman

• 392 Posts
  • 304 Reply Likes
Nice seeing you out and about labs.
Photo of HMC1940

HMC1940

• 605 Posts
  • 253 Reply Likes
Hi Labs glad to see you again. :-)
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 560 Posts
  • 397 Reply Likes
For some reason people can't understand that if Exede gave everyone the unlimited data they think they want most would have no Internet most of the day as it would be overloaded instantly. Just look at the prime time slow down complaints now.
Photo of Marla Ricardez

Marla Ricardez

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
this service is no good the all, the only reason we got it is because AT N T wasn't available at our area, their sales person they need better training. We were told it wasn't a contract the we can cancel it any time is been only a month and we all ready used our 10GB when we were told the if we used in at nite was free. anyway about to cancel, customer service people rudes as hell.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.