Unlimited 150GB plan after data usage, slow all day long!

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Acknowledged
After I use my data of 150GB monthly I see my speeds drop to about 256k-512k all day long, even at 2am. I thought after you use your data you would be just slower during "peak" hours?
Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 27 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2800 Posts
  • 1768 Reply Likes
"peak" hours vary widely on each beam. Some highly congested beams will be very slow after you use your priority data most of the time. Midnight to 5 a.m. is normally the time that many with older plans with the free zone are downloading videos, movies and large files for game updates.

After you use your 150 GB on an unlimited plan, you are de-prioritized, in other words, your requests are stuck at the back of the request line until the traffic slows down.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 312 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
I think they call it prioritizing, so once you use it, you get behind everybody else that still has data available in their plan.  You are unlimited but at a much slower speed.  I don't think i have been slowed to less than 1.5 Mbps.   But it is unlimited.  I have 3 days left in my data period, used 90 of 150 and that is with downloading and recording at least 3 seasons of the Sopranos.  I'll probably try to download the remaining episodes before the first.

I find that you still have to manage your data, albeit you have much more, I plan on my unlimited plan actually being a150 plan.   I teach on the internet and I have to insure i have reasonable speeds, 2.5 Mbps will do it and I can normally count on at least that.

V2 operational in a few days, things should improve, at least in the short term.
(Edited)
Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 27 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Seems like it's very much a gimmick to call it unlimited when they're slowing you down that much after you go over your usage. I can understand it not being fast during daylight hours but at 2 a.m. for you to still be getting a little bit over dial-up is ridiculous.

I'm basically stuck just checking emails. I can't even load up eBay because each page takes like 4 minutes to load
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1002 Reply Likes

Wow...  Ummm... I guess that's telling it like it is.  AT&T charges per device??? Viasat doesn't.  

James....  Go get that bargain at AT&T !!!  What on earth are you doing here?

Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
I use 5 devices and they don't charge for each device? they cant charge me for something hooked to MY ROUTER lol so techinally only 1 device is hooked to their service
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1002 Reply Likes

But can you take your router downtown where each device is otherwise on it's own?

Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
actually yea my phone can be used as a personal hotspot
Photo of Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

• 234 Posts
  • 88 Reply Likes
Not a champion: My beam all weekend (Fri nite - Sunday around 2am is peak period) I am on this plan and 256k is about what you will get long term except at "off peak" during the week. And 256K is more than enough for me to surf with little annoyance and get e-mail. When I was on the freedom 150 plan you were throttled so much you couldn't get on line at times. You can't be a pig with your data and expect to have fast speeds all month. And you know why your speeds are low is because of people like me who don't suck up all their priority data in the first 3 weeks. So a speed problem can be 2 fold, 1 you used all your data quickly enough that it becomes tiresome and/or congestion on the beam.

@James
I use 5 devices and they don't charge for each device? they cant charge me for something hooked to MY ROUTER lol so techinally only 1 device is hooked to their service
You may have 1 or 1 million devices, if it consumes or produces network data, technically they can and will charge you for it. (and you notice I'm not laughing).
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 148 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
You have used 150BGB of data, you should expect your speeds to slow. If I could get a Unlimited 150 plan I'm sure I would not use all the data. I barely use 25 on my Liberty plan. 
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
100 percent sure you would even with your modem cord out of the back :) try it
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 148 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
You would be 100% wrong.
Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 27 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I can understand being throttled but I just got this service 3 months ago and seeing how bad it is after 150GB is pretty ridiculous. It's understandable if it's more like 4-8mbps after your limit but at my current speeds until next month it's "technically" usable just like it's called "unlimited".

Let's also not forget about the fact that it says in the service that after I go over my limit I'll be throttled during peak hours, however since I went over my limit 2 days ago I haven't noticed any point in time throughout the day or night that it's anything more than about 512k.

No difference then selling a Corvette and then the buyer seeing I put in a 4-cylinder engine in it, well it's still a Corvette though...geeze
(Edited)
Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 27 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I can completely understand that and I'm a pretty reasonable person however this is how it should have been written...

"After your monthly usage you will be de-prioritized during peak hours. However as of right now it is congested 24/7 until we can figure it out so your speeds will be slow all the time"
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3879 Posts
  • 3948 Reply Likes
The problem is similar to when classic plans offered a 12:00 AM to 5:00 AM "free zone" - people figured out how to leverage those non-peak hours in an unattended fashion (some still do) causing them to become peak usage periods and speeds went into the toilet during ther free zones but hey it was free - similarly others are using the Liberty 0300 - 0600 free zone period in unattended fashion further extending peak hours and I wouldn't be surprised if those on unlimted plans are shifting unattended usage into the daytime hours. Viasat-1 is tapped out at least for now. Peak usage periods are now more unpredicatble than ever.

And then you've got guys like Poor White Trash downloading terabytes on a Liberty 12 Pass during day hours with PlayOn - probably the smartest guy here in that regard.

Just like Jurassic Park, there was lot's of oohs and aahs when unlimited plans were introduced - we've now reach the running and screaming phase - relief is on the way then the cycle repeats and we go round one more time.
(Edited)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1002 Reply Likes

Anthony this is satellite internet, not a trunk-line connection to Comcast.  

Viasat is, and always has, tried to do the best possible for their customers.  Things totally beyond their control have contributed to the present-day congestion on Viasat-1.  People that understand the enormous task of delivering the Internet to us out-of-towner's appreciate what the technology is and it's limitations.  I get guest here that are amazed that I have "The Internet" way out where I live.  I point to the dish and tell them that little dish does it.  Then they use the Internet here and wonder why it's only about 12Mbps.  Then they say stupid things like "Well since it's from satellite, you should get 100Mbps or even more."  I just have to wonder where people get their expectations from.

Now I'm seeing people come here griping about their speed slowing down after 150GB.  Again, I just have to wonder where people get their expectations from, and what on earth are they doing to use that much data.  I have a visitor right now that thinks although I have DirectTV and Dish Network both at my guest house adjacent to my home, the Internet has better programming and they want to stream movies nearly day and night.  I turned on the so-called video optimizer so they only get 480P on my Internet and what a surprise... suddenly Internet shows suck and they're watching TV on Dish Network.  I tell them that the Internet out here ain't so bad considering where I live.

For you, Viasat DID sell you a Corvette, but you keep running it out of gas.  The supply truck has to service more people than just you.  If you say you have a wife and 4 kids all streaming and 150GB just doesn't go far enough, my words will be YOU need to set limits and establish boundaries in your home about what the Internet limitations are and their limits on what they do with it. I call using over 150GB "out of control."

I use the Internet a lot but it is not my only form of entertainment.  I said a few days ago that I feel I beat up on Viasat pretty bad with my use but when I see people burning through 150GB in just 4 weeks, I'm at a loss for words on how that is even possible.  Here's my use for this month so far... and an 18 minute Viasat video that shows some insight into the inner-workings and attitudes at Viasat.....

Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 27 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Unfortunately I can't watch the video, I'm being throttled remember
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1002 Reply Likes

You data "blood-letting" caused that but someday you might give the video a look before you run yourself out of data.

Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
if it is truly congestion why they still selling service?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

For the same reason they sold to you...  Any Internet is better than NO Internet and the congestion thing won't always be here, actually, in a matter of weeks, or even less, Viasat-2 will be taking on the load.  When big government users are switched over, we will see speeds here on VS-1 increase like never before.  Start thinking.. "Now what can I possible complain about then???"   I'm sure you and many others will think up something.

(Edited)
Photo of James

James

• 333 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
most likely it will be the data disappearing still, that so called "networks operations" don't know how to stop playing with things.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3121 Posts
  • 1100 Reply Likes
This is largely based on beam and how busy the network is. Once you go over 150GB it's likely you'll see a slowdown as needed to support the network. However we are on the brink of releasing Viasat 2 and that will start to see a shared workload which in turn will likely see less of a need to slow after 150GB. It won't be overnight but it will build to it. With that said outside of peak hours if you're not within a reasonable speed I'd strongly encourage calling us at 855-463-9333 so we can see if something else is causing the issue.

And just to rule out everything and to confirm you DO have the WiFi modem right? I know a few folks upgraded and thought they were already on the plan but it didn't go into affect until after the modem arrives. 
Photo of Anthony

Anthony

• 27 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Yes, I am on the wifi router however any testing did I do was on my desktop that's hard-wired
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
gotcha. We've had a lot of people jump on the Unlimited plan when it was first offered and some folks waiting on the modem already thought they were on unlimited so I wanted to rule that out completely. 

So it SHOULD only be during peak hours (5pm-12am that the slowdown happens) it might happen after midnight as well just due to the night owls but the afternoon you should be relatively OK on speeds until you're reset. I'd highly recommend calling us if that's not the case. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2241 Posts
  • 1113 Reply Likes
I leave my Playon server running nearly nonstop Monday - Friday from 1am to 4pm. That's 15 hours of video streaming a day. On Saturday morning and Sunday morning I only let the server record from 1am to 8am.

If weather is bad or there is more congestion than normal (holiday slowdown or snow days) I might spend less time recording or pause the server completely.

With my automated system I usually record 200 to 300 gb a month.

I actually recored a bit less this month due to weather and running out of things I want to watch. My billing cycle starts on the 4th and I'm currently at 105 gb.

Most people don't go through the trouble to build a server to time shift video for viewing during prime time.

It boggles my mind that someone could come even near 150 gb of data use without an automated system for downloading video. You would have to watch at least eight hours of Netflix a day to reach 150 gb.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2241 Posts
  • 1113 Reply Likes
You think there isn't any conjestion during the weekend?  There is a reason I don't let my Playon server record video during the day on Saturday and Sunday.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes

@  Poor White Trash,

Let's see if I can guess the reason you don't run your PlayOn server during Saturday or Sunday....  In order of probability:

#1:  You have basic consideration for others sharing the same limited resource that is stretched to the max on weekends, so you're not into making a bad situation worse,  it's a matter of "one person can make a difference."  Too bad everybody doing massive downloads doesn't think the same.

#2:  It runs slow and might not finish the job by Monday.

#3:  You aren't home on weekends so that's that.

How'd I do?

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes

@  Poor White Trash,

Let's see if I can guess the reason you don't run your PlayOn server during Saturday or Sunday....  In order of probability:

#1:  You have basic consideration for others sharing the same limited resource that is stretched to the max on weekends, so you're not into making a bad situation worse,  it's a matter of "one person can make a difference."  Too bad everybody doing massive downloads doesn't think the same.

#2:  It runs slow and might not finish the job by Monday.

#3:  You aren't home on weekends so that's that.

How'd I do?

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2241 Posts
  • 1113 Reply Likes
It's a combination of 1 and 2. Speeds are actually pretty decent during the day on weekends but do occasionally drop.

3 doesn't matter. It's an automated server. I don't have to be home for it to operate.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3893 Posts
  • 3972 Reply Likes
Give him a different answer for the second post ;)
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1687 Posts
  • 1003 Reply Likes

Stupid double-post>  Grrr....

I'm seeing a pattern on my double-post problem.  It seems to happen when the post I'm following doesn't show up correctly, such as in the picture below where 'Poor White Trash' doesn't'  load quite right even after page refreshes.  Something for GetSatisfaction to look into.