Unhappy with Viasat

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • (Edited)
I've had Viasat for years and unfortunately they know just as well as us that we rural people don't have many options. I could write a book about how bad Viasat is, and thats not exaggerating. I have been blocked from commenting on the Viasat facebook because they don't like hearing my problems nor do they want me to inform others of Viasats faults. I thought maybe because of the rainy weather that my speeds may slow, but not down to 14kbps. So I unplugged my router and modem and reset it...Giving me a speed of 1.2mbps...Good...but not long after the Modem was reset by Viasat themselves, and back to 14kbps. So I reset it again, and getting 1.2mbps again. Another thing...Even if you unplug your modem and router completely your data will still be used..I confirmed this a few years ago doing the experiment. Really like I said I could go on and on...but as I stated, I was removed for openly stating facts, and problems while Viasat would counter and say that "Speeds vary" and the common other they spew out to their customers. What's worse is I am a long time customer, but over 6 years been treated 3rd class, 3rd party, or even 3rd World.

One final complaint is I dislike the fact Viasat uses Veterans as their tools for their problems. Not anyone is going to like to hear that but its frank, and true. I can't count how many times Viasat installers have commented to customers saying its their problem..which inevitably make us, the user look like fools. As if we are against a company that hires Veterans which we are not. You can also look at other peoples articles and see the responses they get from others pointing out that the users husband must have a stick up his or something. The customer support service that they provide is weak, and pathetic. If it continues I will file again with the BBB, and FCC over these pathetic tactics Viasat institutes as it isn't Viasats problem, but the customer that pays for their service.
Photo of Cody Langford

Cody Langford

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • furious.

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 475 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
I feel your pain. 1000 percent agree
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 419 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Then switch to HughesNet or wireless. Problem solved.
Photo of Alan

Alan

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Not everyone has that option. We have no phone or cable service here. What is close by, is out of date and they have no idea when they will get it done.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1800 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
HughesNet doesn't require phone or cable service.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Alan

I went for about five years, without home internet service....everyone has that option.

In earlier years, back when IBM PC came out, I put quarters in a library's computer to be self-learned.  That's the way it should be....back to basics. Learning at school increases taxing amounts for tax payers.  And, any kid who understands the 3Rs, will do just fine.

School boards should address this issue...and wake up to reality.  Computerization tends to make 'schooling' a piece of cake, for teachers, while raising taxes.

Photo of Alan

Alan

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I tried them all. HughesNet does not cover my area. That is what they told me. I didn't ask how it was hooked up. I just asked for their service.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1800 Posts
  • 1132 Reply Likes
Very odd.  Have you tried inputting your address on their website?  Other than for some reason where the dish can't get a clear view of the satellite, you should be able to get service.  
Photo of Dio Brando

Dio Brando

• 84 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Ah yes, another complaint to the BBB.
I bet you read that 31 page agreement thoroughly right?

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3082 Posts
  • 1979 Reply Likes
Just what is it that you have against veterans? I am a  disabled Vietnam veteran, and I take offense to your slamming them in your post. Veterans gave part of their lives so you could live in a country with freedom. Many veterans gave their lives for you, but you don't seem to appreciate what veterans have done for our great country.

I am sure that your mother would approve of your choice of words. Really, you can express yourself without using such language.
Photo of Cody Langford

Cody Langford

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
You didn't read throughly my post then when I said I have nothing against Veterans.
Photo of Mr.Anderson

Mr.Anderson

• 95 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Don't offend 3rd world countries... I used to live in sort of a third world country in the Caribbean, and had 2meg service in 2006 for about $75us a month, and now they offer up to 50meg service for $69us. 
Photo of Cody Langford

Cody Langford

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Some 3rd world countries have better internet than Viasat, and I mean the middle east when speaking of 3rd world countries...Been there, done that.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I don't consider the middle east 3rd world. I was talking about central America, some countries in Africa, etc.

The GDP in the some middle eastern countries is on par with some of the richest countries in the world
(Edited)
Photo of Mr.Anderson

Mr.Anderson

• 95 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
what is 3rd world then?  and Middle Eastern countries are no where near on par with the GDP of other top countries.  If I am wrong, name one. 
Photo of Mr.Anderson

Mr.Anderson

• 95 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
the country I lived in falls near the bottom of the GDP list, has a population of around 75,000, but yet they offer 50meg Internet service for $69...  How do they do that?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I lived on a Caribbean island, they now have fiber to every home - it's easy to wire a postage stamp when compared to the US, however. They went with buried fiber and utilities after a couple of catastrophic hurricanes out of necessity - their former colonial oppressor paid for it when rebuilding and they don't have to rebuild as much now - they are still a part of the kingdom and very much dependent on it.

At least that's how that island did it and not sure about speeds offered, and suspect you're talking about another island and not a part of that same kingdom or even independent.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Saudi Arabia is one. It is in the top 20.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 764 Posts
  • 475 Reply Likes
Many countries around the world have better internet than the US. Romania has some of the fastest internet speeds in the world, yet is quite poor in terms of GDP. Sad when the richest and most powerful nation on Earth can't provide decent broadband to all of it's citizens.
Photo of Cody Langford

Cody Langford

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
My post couldn't have been better...it explained the comments just as well as the customer support all in one message and those that represent it. Of course I won't be responding again...but this is a visual for those without many option contemplating on getting Viasat. Before I end this I specifically said as well I have nothing against veterans though I did say its sad Viasat uses them as a pawn as the comments explain further on what my point is. My family is a veteran family.I knew I'd get flak, but criticism is never taken "lightly". I did enjoy how quick the followers came in a flock to hold Viasat up...exactly what I intended. Have a great day or night.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2662 Posts
  • 1391 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of regina

regina

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
I am on bronze unlimited plan, currently at 92.2 Gig. Speed at0.063 mbps. I understand the question was not aimed at me. Although I have the same complaint. I was sold unlimited at $100 a month. Am disabled and have little else to do. This company is a nightmare. First purchased Oct 2018. 4 service appointments or should say 3 missed by tech finally tech arrives on 4th appointment. Connection has been horrid since start. In the past month I credited it to rain and clouds. Recently during prime time. On average it takes approx. 2 to 3 hours to watch a 45 min show. Have called ViaSat just now. Recording stated my wait would be less than 2 minutes. 17 minutes later I finally hung up. Bringing me here. Was hoping to find a solution.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Since you are out of priority data, you are basically being treated like people that have 150GB of priority data. Meaning during busy times you might not be able to do much.

You could get a bigger plan, but based on your usage short of paying north of $200 and getting on a Viasat-2 Platinum plan, I don't think Viasat is the answer for you.

Just remember. Just because they say it is unlimited doesn't mean it is unlimited to the point you can do your normal daily internet functions.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Your Bronze Plan has a 35 or 40 GB data usage threshold after which you are subject to prioritization behind other subscribers who have not exceeded their threshold during busy periods.

Be thankful you didn't acquire it prior to February 13, 2018 - you'd have a 150 GB as suggested above, but would be subject to that de-prioritization at any time regardless of how much data you may have used.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Very good point.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Photo of Elaine Fields

Elaine Fields

• 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Welcome to my World.. live out in the country and speeds are horrible... HORRIBLE... they should be ashamed of theirselves for advertising super high speeds.. Not in my world they are not. And I keep getting knocked off internet.. so yeah.. Welcome to my world.. sigh
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1803 Posts
  • 1135 Reply Likes
Considering the posts that are on ViaSat's Facebook page, it's less likely that you were blocked for complaining about ViaSat than it is for how you were doing so.  Perhaps using foul language, like you decided to use here.  
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Yup the foul language will do it.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3416 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
Edited for foul language (yes we WILL censor here and it will cause removal on Facebook)

Cody please email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com we'll go over your issues personally
(Edited)